You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-20 01:21:02

cliffordsr

[SOLVED]Kernal panic on boot off of live CD

Hello all; first post here. I'm having some difficult on installing Arch; after booting a live CD I get the following error:

[     1.551018] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

See image:
http://www.filedropper.com/photo_11
for more details

I am using rEFInd on computer with solely Windows 8 installed. I have turned secure boot off, if that matters. The iso is 2013.03.01 which I believe is the most up to date.
Thanks for any and all help,
Cliff

Last edited by cliffordsr (2013-03-22 06:37:45)

#2 2013-03-20 01:48:18

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED]Kernal panic on boot off of live CD

How did you download the iso?  Did you get it via torrent (because torrents are checked on completion)?  How did you make the iso?  Did you use dd?  Did you use an easy-bake oven?  I wish I had some muffins....

#3 2013-03-20 02:19:48

cliffordsr

Downloaded via torrent, and then burned to disk using the windows 8 tool built into the file browser. When that failed, I erased then re-burned it with Disk Utility in OSX. Not sure what dd is, sorry. And yes, I to long for some baked pastries, especially muffins.
Thanks,
Cliff

#4 2013-03-20 02:52:58

WonderWoofy

Yeah, disk utility should have done the trick.  Did you actually let it checksum the disk after it was complete?

With OSX though you actually already have the dd command.  You just have to open the terminal.

That said, you should kknow that dd is a rather low level command. It will copy whatever you specify as the input and make a byte for byte copy of it to the output you specify.  So a simple typo can sometimes lead to terrible mishaps. 

The format is simply something like this though:

# dd if=/path/to/archiso.iso of=/dev/rdisk1 

Note that in OSX you use the BSD style of disk/partition labeling (/dev/disk and /dev/rdisk), while in Linux, you use /dev/sda.

#5 2013-03-20 03:51:22

cliffordsr

I don't believe it's a disk problem; I just tried out the disk on my mac and I was able to boot it quite easily. However, I noticed that I have four options when looking at my rEFIt screen in OSX.
They are:
1) Boot EFI\archiso\vmlinuz.efi from ARCHISO_EFI
2) Boot EFI\boot\bootx64.efi from ARCHISO_EFI
3) Boot Linux from CD
4) Boot Legacy OS from ARCHISO_EFI
They option that works is "Boot Linux from CD," I'm going to check right now, but I think that rEFInd is using the first option only. This is quite possibly my problem.
Thanks for your help so far!

EDIT:
The options I have are option one, as well as "Boot Fallback boot loader from ARCHISO_EFI." Should I try the fallback, or is there a way to boot the standard way?

Last edited by cliffordsr (2013-03-20 03:55:54)

#6 2013-03-20 04:18:32

WonderWoofy

You know, I seem to remember something in the threads a while ago about the UEFI having issues with Macs.  On the UEFI wiki page (again) at the very bottom, there are instructions on how to remove the UEFI portion.  This will force bios compatibility mode.

If you do this, you can at least get it set up and going, and then from there either figure out how to set it up with UEFI from a bios booted environment, or simply use the bios compatibility mode (you can always switch it later).

#7 2013-03-20 13:49:32

cliffordsr

I've found that I can launch the standard boot through the fallback boot option, so no need to look further into it! Thank you very much for your help WonderWoofy!
-Cliff

Board footer