You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-19 19:46:53

hel

Syslinux with additional monitor and keyboard?

Hi,

is it possible to use an additional monitor (and keyboard) with syslinux?
I have a Lenovo T500 laptop with a docking station attached to a second monitor and keyboard which are recognized after starting arch. As I'm using disk encryption, I have to type in the password under syslinux and it would be very nice if I could do it using the external keyboard and monitor.

Best regards

#2 2013-03-21 03:31:59

WonderWoofy

Re: Syslinux with additional monitor and keyboard?

My machine allows me to set the default monitor in the bios.  I have a Thinkpad Edge E430.  I can choose between the laptop lcd, the HDMI, or the VGA.

#3 2013-03-21 03:43:19

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

My work laptop is in a docking station. Syslinux boots fine whether I am docked or not...

Also, not an Installation question, moving to Kernel and Hardware

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2013-03-21 18:54:13

hel

WonderWoofy wrote:

My machine allows me to set the default monitor in the bios.  I have a Thinkpad Edge E430.  I can choose between the laptop lcd, the HDMI, or the VGA.

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, this did not work for me.

Strangely, the external keyboard is working in the syslinux menu, but not after that when I have to type in the pass-phrase. Maybe it has something to do with my syslinux.cfg?

DEFAULT arch
PROMPT 0
UI menu.c32
LABEL arch
        MENU LABEL Arch Linux
        LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
        APPEND cryptdevice=/dev/sda2:main root=/dev/mapper/main-root ro locale=de_DE.UTF-8
        INITRD ../initramfs-linux.img

LABEL reboot
        MENU LABEL Reboot
        COM32 reboot.c32

LABEL off
        MENU LABEL Power Off
        COMBOOT poweroff.com

My mkinitcpio-hooks are
HOOKS="base udev autodetect block usbinput keymap encrypt lvm2 filesystems keyboard fsck shutdown"

#5 2013-03-21 18:58:52

alphaniner

When you get to the password prompt you're out of syslinux territory. I see you have both usbinput and keyboard in your HOOKS. Maybe get rid of usbinput and move keyboard to its place:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect block keyboard keymap encrypt lvm2 filesystems fsck shutdown"

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#6 2013-03-21 19:12:41

hel

Neither keyboard nor usbinput alone worked :-(

#7 2013-03-21 19:36:08

alphaniner

Did you try with keyboard in the location that usbinput is now in? I think the order matters, and the keyboard-related hooks need to be before the encrypt hook to be of any use when it comes time to enter the passphrase. Plus usbinput has been depreciated in favor of keyboard (see mkinitcpio --listhooks), so it's unlikely that having both provides any benefit anyway.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#8 2013-03-21 19:47:07

hel

Yes, I used it before encrypt:
HOOKS="base udev autodetect block keyboard keymap encrypt lvm2 filesystems fsck shutdown"

Board footer