If I type 'exit' it boots fine, but it's a little frustrating adding 10 sec to my boot (which is normally about 5: running Arch on an SSD is awesome!). I think it might be a problem with my refind.conf but I'm not sure what it could be. I'm dual booting Arch and Windows 8, and I'm using KDE. The partition /dev/sda5 is my root (I can post a complete list of partitions if it is needed).
Thanks for any help,
Last edited by cliffordsr (2013-03-22 06:36:04)
it seems like kernel can't find your root partition on /dev/sda5, maybe you should define your partitions with UUID in grub instead of /dev/sdX
if is like I think it is, put a "#" in front of line "GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true" in /etc/default/grub and do sudo "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg"
I thnk this should do it
I'm not using GRUB, I'm booting off a EFIstub. Is there a way to do what you said for that?
You can still specify your partition with uuid or label. (ie. root=UUID=<xxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx> or root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxx)
Where would I write that?
It depends, refind_linux.conf if you are you using kernel autodetection, or refind.conf when using manual configuration.
Last edited by s1ln7m4s7r (2013-03-21 22:53:02)
I think you just have a superfluous slash in your root= declaration on the kernel command line. At the rEFInd menu, press insert (may need to press it twice if the first time just opens a submenu for you) and remove it, and see if that allows you to boot.
To clarify, /dev/sda5/ should be /dev/sda5 (note the lack of a trailing slash).
EDIT: if you do boot correctly, make sure to make the change permanent in your conf file.
Last edited by WorMzy (2013-03-21 22:56:07)
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO // Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.4GHz // GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 Ti // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR3 (@ 2133MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB Seagate SATAII 5x 1TB Samsung SATAII, 2x 120GB Corsair SSD
Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.
Went into my refind_linux.conf file and changed the labels (/dev/sda5) to uuids, and didnt work, so I changed them back and suddenly everything magically worked. Looking back on it, it was almost definitely what WorMzy said, and I corrected it when I changed the conf back to using labels. Thanks!
Please mark the thread as [Solved] then by editing the first post and adding it to the title.