You are not logged in.

#1526 2013-03-20 18:40:50

Army

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

Awesome, having this config option makes a lot of sense imho. Thanks for your fast fixes!

Last edited by Army (2013-03-20 18:41:32)

#1527 2013-03-20 20:18:28

portix

I have pushed the new option, i hope that i haven't missed shortcuts for the option 'webkit'.

#1528 2013-03-21 03:17:02

WonderWoofy

portix, what is the default value for the external editor (simply "editor" in settings).  I am trying it out for the first time, and it is not putting my text into the text boxes.  But  changed it long ago, and am not sure if it is actually configured correctly.

I have "urxvtc -e vim dwb_uri".  Should that be working, or is that totally off?  I just don't even remotely remember what was there originally.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the default value in your excellent man page.  It is the same just with xterm... I'll try that real quick.   And it works... I wonder why.

Edit2: Okay, so urxvt works but not urxvtc.  Strange, but oh well, at least it works.  One more rxvt-unicode process won't hurt.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-03-21 03:22:52)

#1529 2013-03-21 09:07:31

portix

urxvtc won't work because dwb waits for the editor process to terminate, it doesn't watch for file changes of the temporary file. If a process forks from the parent process like gvim does if not using -f or if a process terminates immediately and the editor is spawned in a different process like urxvtc does, dwb will assume that editing is done.

#1530 2013-03-22 03:42:32

naphelge

How can I disable pdf's from being viewed inline? No mention of any such setting on either the settings page or man page. I prefer using zathura and sometimes just need to save one rather than load it up.

thanx

Last edited by naphelge (2013-03-22 03:43:51)

#1531 2013-03-22 04:21:16

WonderWoofy

portix wrote:

urxvtc won't work because dwb waits for the editor process to terminate, it doesn't watch for file changes of the temporary file. If a process forks from the parent process like gvim does if not using -f or if a process terminates immediately and the editor is spawned in a different process like urxvtc does, dwb will assume that editing is done.

This is an amazing f*cking answer sir!  I commend your awesomeness!

#1532 2013-03-22 09:00:29

portix

naphelge wrote:

How can I disable pdf's from being viewed inline? No mention of any such setting on either the settings page or man page. I prefer using zathura and sometimes just need to save one rather than load it up.

thanx

dwb doesn't show pdfs inline, i guess you have mozplugger installed, i think you can configure mozplugger to not show pdfs or deinstall it if you don't need it.

#1533 2013-03-22 12:54:36

naphelge

portix wrote:

dwb doesn't show pdfs inline, i guess you have mozplugger installed, i think you can configure mozplugger to not show pdfs or deinstall it if you don't need it.

Yeap that fixed it. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why this was only happening using dwb on my laptop and not on my PC. I guess I don't have mozplugger installed on the PC, but then I thought Mozplugger was specifically for mozilla and so I wouldn't have thought of that anyhew.

So I also need to ask another question or two. I know the print command, :ha, and it works fine and offers the option to print to file/pdf, but often I need to download a range of pages from an online journal that in FFox opens a small window with the pages from which I can then choose to print as pdf (images that need to be ocr'd), and in xombrero choosing a range of pages to print opens a new tab displaying the pages which again I can simple print to file.

I haven't figured out yet how this should happen in dwb. When I choose a range of pages to print the print dialogue disappears but nothing happens. No separate windows spawns, no new tab is opened and the pages do not get rendered in the current tab from which I chose to print.

I hope I am not missing something too obvious, but also something that proves an easy solution.

cheers

Last edited by naphelge (2013-03-22 12:55:54)

#1534 2013-03-22 16:28:19

portix

Do you want to print the selected pages or do you want just a preview? I you want a preview: if print-previewer is not defined dwb will use the default gtk print-previewer which i think is evince. So if evince is not installed that won't work. e.g. if your favourite pdf-viewer is zathura you could set print-previewer to "zathura %f"

Last edited by portix (2013-03-22 16:29:03)

#1535 2013-03-22 18:12:02

naphelge

portix wrote:

Do you want to print the selected pages or do you want just a preview? I you want a preview: if print-previewer is not defined dwb will use the default gtk print-previewer which i think is evince. So if evince is not installed that won't work. e.g. if your favourite pdf-viewer is zathura you could set print-previewer to "zathura %f"

Yeah I already set zathura %f for my default previewer, but it still seems to have no affect on printing what I need.

I read a lot of e-journals online (thru univ. library). And when I want to print an entire paper  for example, or 10 pages from a book I have to enter a first and last page numver into a sialogue generated by the journal's website, usually a pop-up window. When I click to print either the same pop-up window or another is fired up generating the pages to print, at which point I select print to file (pdf) instead of actually printing out the pages to save an e-copy of the pages.

Anyway I hope that made sense. So FFox like I said does in fact generate a new, smaller child window in which the pages are generated and from which I select to print as a file, and xombrero opens a new tab instead to do the same. But for dwb when I click the print button on the journal's print dialogue, on one site anyway, the dialogue disappears (normal behaviour) but nothing else occurs, neither a child window is fired nor a tab opened up. I thought perhaps at this point a print preview might be the behaviour I see from dwb but that doesn't occur either.

I just logged into two different sites that handle this request differently. The one generates a little pop-up dialogue asking for page range to print, and when I enter and click print the dlaiogue box disappears and then nadda. There is on this same page the option to download the pages, but of course you can only download a much smaller number of pages than what they allow you to print, but anyway of I choose to dlownload a smalle selection of pages then the download path is prompted for as expected, so that looks fine.

On the other site, dwb does in fact generate a new tab asking for the range pf pages to print, and when I hit enter the pages are generated in the same tab. Great, except, when the print options window pops-up, most of the options such as page size are greyed out and unavailable. I usually choose to print legal size since the sites sometimes generate pages that are longer than regular A4, for whatever reason, that end up being cut-off. So I need to be able to at least select that choice. Other than that the print preview does work as expected and the file is saved as expected.

cheers

#1536 2013-03-22 20:12:11

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

Would it be possible to implement some 'purge_memory' function? Chromium has Purge Button, so something similar... After a longer period of browsing (let's say 8 hours) dwb starts using too much memory, right now 820MB for 18 tabs. It was understandable for chromium, with splitting into one process per tab (more or less) there is an extra redundancy, but dwb runs in one process (per session).

Also pretty often (several times per day, and every time the system wakes from hibernation) it happens that dwb starts using 100% CPU.

Apparently dwb has some issues when running for a long time, but otherwise it's really great browser. I wish I could contribute to finding solutions for these problems.

#1537 2013-03-23 06:05:37

rg_arc

I don't know why but for some reason when I am using Google Play for more than 3 or 4 minutes dwb will crash. This is the first time this has happened and it usually happens randomly when I click on the album covers in my music. I noticed that when I click on the album cover everything will freeze for about 30 seconds and then dwb crashes. This happens consistently.

Here is the output of the message I get when it happens from the terminal:

DWB EXTENSION: extension formfiller: Successfully loaded and initialized.
DWB EXTENSION: extension youtube_html5: Successfully loaded and initialized.
DWB EXTENSION ERROR: extension userscripts: Initialization failed.
STACK: [value] [anonymous] [[native code]]
No bp log location saved, using default.
No bp log location saved, using default.
[000:000] Browser XEmbed support present: 1
[000:000] Browser toolkit is Gtk2.
[000:005] Using Gtk2 toolkit
[000:000] Warning(optionsfile.cc:47): Load: Could not open file, err=2
[000:000] No bp log location saved, using default.
[000:006] Warning(optionsfile.cc:47): Load: Could not open file, err=2
[000:006] No bp log location saved, using default.
[000:007] Browser XEmbed support present: 1
[000:007] Browser toolkit is Gtk2.
[000:007] Using Gtk2 toolkit
[000:001] Warning(optionsfile.cc:47): Load: Could not open file, err=2
[000:001] No bp log location saved, using default.
[000:060] Warning(optionsfile.cc:47): Load: Could not open file, err=2
[000:061] No bp log location saved, using default.
[000:061] Browser XEmbed support present: 1
[000:061] Browser toolkit is Gtk2.
[000:062] Using Gtk2 toolkit
java version "1.7.0_17"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.8) (ArchLinux build 7.u17_2.3.8-1-x86_64)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)
[015:307] Starting client channel.
[015:307] Warning(clientchannel.cc:436): Unreadable or no port file.  Could not initiate GoogleTalkPlugin connection
[015:308] Warning(clientchannel.cc:411): Could not initiate GoogleTalkPlugin connection
[015:308] GoogleTalkPlugin not running. Starting new process...
[015:308] Warning(optionsfile.cc:47): Load: Could not open file, err=2
[015:309] Warning(pluginutils.cc:251): Failed to get GoogleTalkPlugin path. Trying default.
[015:341] Started GoogleTalkPlugin, path=/opt/google/talkplugin/GoogleTalkPlugin
[015:342] Waiting for GoogleTalkPlugin to start...
[016:397] Attempting to connect to GoogleTalkPlugin...
[016:398] Read port file, port=47932
[016:398] Initiated connection to GoogleTalkPlugin
[016:498] Socket connection established
[016:498] ScheduleOnlineCheck: Online check in 5000ms
[016:598] Got cookie response, socket is authorized
[016:598] AUTHORIZED; socket handshake complete
[021:833] HandleOnlineCheck: Starting check
[021:834] HandleOnlineCheck: OK; current state: 3
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
$

#1538 2013-03-23 09:46:23

portix

@lawaacz: A purge_memory function is not possible, it's not possible to free the memory that webkitgtk uses. There is a ticket on the bugtracker about cpu-consumption, i wasn't ever able to reproduce it but several people confirmed that disabling javascript fixes the issue, so i assume that it is a bug either in JavaScriptCore or in webkitgtk. Anyways, as long as i cannot reproduce it i cannot do anything to fix it.
@rg_arc: could you create a backtrace? I don't that I can fix it because plugins are a black box in webkitgtk, but i'm not completely sure. And please report bugs on the bugtracker next time.

Last edited by portix (2013-03-23 09:47:04)

#1539 2013-03-23 12:27:26

karol
Archivist

I restart the browser to free the RAM. It's not a huge deal for me, as it takes only a few seconds, but it would be nice to avoid that.

#1540 2013-03-24 04:38:31

ignorant

Feature request: "Passthrough Mode" similar to luakit and vimprobable. This temporarily disables all of the browsers keybinds by pressing Ctrl-Z. Very useful on pages that have some dynamic keybinds in javascript. Normally Insert Mode would acheive this, but Insert Mode still has bindings like Escape for example.

BTW, the more I use this browser, the more I realize I'll never use another browser ever again.

Last edited by ignorant (2013-03-24 05:05:47)

#1541 2013-03-24 10:12:33

rg_arc

I believe the Google Play issue is related to choppy internet connection. If it takes too long for the connection to resolve in any way.. then the browser will crash. It doesn't do this on most sites.. just sites that are similar to Google Play.

Just to be sure though, how do I get a backtrace? I don't think I have done that before.

Last edited by rg_arc (2013-03-24 10:22:10)

#1542 2013-03-25 15:33:34

portix

ignorant wrote:

Feature request: "Passthrough Mode" similar to luakit and vimprobable. This temporarily disables all of the browsers keybinds by pressing Ctrl-Z. Very useful on pages that have some dynamic keybinds in javascript. Normally Insert Mode would acheive this, but Insert Mode still has bindings like Escape for example.

BTW, the more I use this browser, the more I realize I'll never use another browser ever again.

Luakit has also bound Escape to leave passthrough-mode, you must bind at least one shortcut or you will never be able to get out of passthrough-mode. I really don't see what the point of passthrough-mode is.

#1543 2013-03-25 18:59:20

ignorant

portix wrote:
ignorant wrote:

Luakit has also bound Escape to leave passthrough-mode, you must bind at least one shortcut or you will never be able to get out of passthrough-mode. I really don't see what the point of passthrough-mode is.

Ah. I didn't notice. Well, it would be nice if there was some way to pass Escape through for web pages that use it. If you're not comfortable with adding that, I understand. smile

#1544 2013-03-25 21:50:31

bananagranola
Website

portix wrote:
ignorant wrote:

I recently discovered that GMail and Google Reader have their own vim-like keybindings. Maybe for things like that?

#1545 2013-03-26 01:32:42

portix

I still don't get what the point of a passthrough-mode is. Insertmode already does exactly the same as vimprobables insert mode, except that it is possible to bind keys in insertmode using the scripting but not with a regular keybinds. The only shortcuts that are mapped in insertmode are Escape (you need one key to get out of insertmode, and escape is also mapped in vimprobable in both insertmode and passthrough-mode) and shift-insert because gtk doesn't implement shift-insert pasting. So dwb doesn't have an insertmode like vimprobables insertmode but it has vimprobables (and luakits) passthrough-mode which is called insertmode in dwb.

#1546 2013-03-26 02:26:09

bananagranola
Website

portix wrote:

I still don't get what the point of a passthrough-mode is. Insertmode already does exactly the same as vimprobables insert mode, except that it is possible to bind keys in insertmode using the scripting but not with a regular keybinds. The only shortcuts that are mapped in insertmode are Escape (you need one key to get out of insertmode, and escape is also mapped in vimprobable in both insertmode and passthrough-mode) and shift-insert because gtk doesn't implement shift-insert pasting. So dwb doesn't have an insertmode like vimprobables insertmode but it has vimprobables (and luakits) passthrough-mode which is called insertmode in dwb.

I did not know that. I just tried using Google Reader shortcuts in insertmode out and it works perfectly. Thanks!

#1547 2013-03-26 13:39:09

fliang

For some reason I still can't get scaletempo to work and increasing playback speed on mp4 videos causes the pitch to become shifted up (chipmunking).

I built dwb using the dwb-hg package from the AUR after clearing my pacman cache and installing the latest webkitgtk2 (which was built 3/22/2013). That should include the scaletempo patch for webkitgtk (http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/140685). Is this an issue with dwb or webkitgtk?

Note that scaletempo works fine on latest chromium builds.

#1548 2013-03-26 16:23:20

portix

Chromium can in no way be compared to webkitgtk. If it doesn't work in dwb you may ask on the webkitgtk mailing list or in their irc-channel. dwb doesn't handle html5 at all, that's all done by webkitgtk. There is only one thing that may be the reason why it doesn't work in dwb, webkitgtk has a setting named 'enable-media-stream', i don't know if that needs to be enabled to have tempo-scaling, but i won't integrate that setting as it is still experimental and it requires webkitgtk-1.10. I think archlinux's webkitgtk package is compiled without mediastream support anyway.

#1549 2013-03-29 21:14:15

Ypnose
Website

Hi there,
I compiled webkitgtk2 myself (1.11.92) and when I launch dwb, I have following errors:

** (dwb:3439): CRITICAL **: gchar* webkit_dom_element_get_attribute(WebKitDOMElement*, const gchar*): assertion `WEBKIT_DOM_IS_ELEMENT(self)' failed
** (dwb:3439): CRITICAL **: gchar* webkit_dom_element_get_tag_name(WebKitDOMElement*): assertion `WEBKIT_DOM_IS_ELEMENT(self)' failed

It seems I forget something but I don't know what. I tried to enable introspection and jit with webkitgtk, but it didn't change.
I'm unable to find what is the problem. If you have an idea... Here's my webkitgtk2 configure:

./configure --prefix=/usr \
    --disable-silent-rules \
    --libexecdir=/usr/lib/webkitgtk2 \
    --with-gtk=2.0 \
    --disable-webkit2 \
    --disable-accelerated-compositing \
    --with-acceleration-backend=none \
    --disable-webgl \
    --disable-glx \
    --disable-egl \
    --disable-gles2 \
    --disable-video \
    --disable-web-audio \
    --disable-coverage \
    --disable-geolocation \
    --disable-gtk-doc \
    --disable-gtk-doc-pdf \
    --disable-gtk-doc-html \
    --disable-spellcheck \
    --enable-introspection \
    --enable-jit

With webkitgtk2 from repo, I have no issues. I'm using latest dwb revision too.

Last edited by Ypnose (2013-03-29 21:23:30)

Github -- My terminal font Envypn

#1550 2013-03-30 02:40:17

portix

dwb doesn't support webkit2 and it won't support webkit2 in the near future, i started porting dwb to webkit2 but it will take some time.

Edit: Sorry, i misread your post, doesn't dwb even start or do you just get those errors?

Last edited by portix (2013-03-30 03:34:13)

Board footer