You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-23 16:51:43

KnightMustard

[SOLVED] KMS not working

Recently I bought a Lenovo G780 laptop and used Ubuntu on it for a very brief time and switched to ArchLinux as my old computer was already running it. Now it's installed but I seem to be having problems with KMS. I'll boot my computer and it starts outputting stuff and as it is changing my resolution my screen goes black and I never get it back. If I press the power button and the computer shuts down I see it outputting text again, this time in the right resolution. If I boot with nomodeset then I obviously don't have problem but I fallback onto Vesa. This computer has Optimus and I have installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers along with the Intel drivers. The wiki says that they may not work in EFI and I am booting using legacy bios. I briefly did talk to someone on Freenode and they insisted that I messed up installing Bumblebee but after double checking everything I don't see any missing packages, systemctl status says it's running, and I have added myself to the bumblebee group. The guy I talked to on IRC also said to try adding i915 to modules in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf which didn't help either. Actions that I have done that I think are questionable is I had nvidia-utils installed but I removed it before installing Bumblebee and I used Linux 3.8.x from the testing repos for a few days and then downgraded to 3.7 and disabled the testing repos again. At this point, I don't know what else I could really do.

Here is a lspci | grep VGA for you

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0de3 (rev a1)

Last edited by KnightMustard (2013-04-07 01:30:39)

#2 2013-03-29 22:18:10

6ng4n

Re: [SOLVED] KMS not working

Try adding theese (one by one and both) on your kernel command line

acpi_osi=Linux
acpi_backlight=vendor

I've a laptop at work (HP 530) behaves same after updates. Sometimes it still continues, although I set them. I think there is something wrong in kernel. If I have spare time, I will learn to compile a kernel. Maybe arch guys are forgetting something or it's a upstream bug.

#3 2013-04-07 01:32:02

KnightMustard

Re: [SOLVED] KMS not working

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you that has solved my problem. I find it weird that it doesn't do that automatically but okay at least it's fixed.

Board footer