You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-23 16:46:25

gerrybd

Dual booting Arch Linux UEFI-GPT question

Hello!

I'm new to Arch Linux and I want to install it on my system, dual-booting with Fedora. I've gone through the Installation Instructions and the FAQ, and it says installation with USB drives on UEFI systems is not supported (I don't use CD/DVD drives) - so before I risk breaking my current installation I'd like to consult it here:

I have installed Fedora in UEFI mode, GPT partitioned drive. I was wandering if I could boot Arch's installation with my USB drive in non-UEFI mode and install everything *but* the bootloader, and then update the existing GRUB2's configuration in Fedora so as to use that copy of GRUB to boot both OSes. Would that work? Should any configuration be updated in some file inside the /boot/efi (sda1) partition too?

Thank you in advance

#2 2013-03-23 17:22:03

the.ridikulus.rat

Re: Dual booting Arch Linux UEFI-GPT question

Yes , you can do that. Check whether there is a mention of custom.cfg in fedora's grub.cfg ? If so, from your Arch system, run grub-mkconfig to generate custom.cfg in the same dir as fedora's grub.cfg . Make sure to keep only menu entries and delete other lines from the custom.cfg file.

#3 2013-03-23 17:25:34

the.ridikulus.rat

gerrybd wrote:

I've gone through the Installation Instructions and the FAQ, and it says installation with USB drives on UEFI systems is not supported (I don't use CD/DVD drives) - so before I risk breaking my current installation I'd like to consult it here:

Where does the wiki/docs say that installation with USB drives on UEFI systems is not supported? Thats a total lie and you must have read some unofficial doc or must have misread the wiki. In fact it is better to use a USB rather than a CD for UEFI installation. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … B_from_ISO for more info.

Last edited by the.ridikulus.rat (2013-03-23 17:25:47)

#4 2013-03-23 17:48:04

gerrybd

Oh indeed, I read again and I had misunderstood the note in this page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … tion_Media saying "Note: This method does not work with UEFI boot." when previously it links to the page you wrote above. My bad for reading in a hurry...! tongue

I'm going to install Arch and configure GRUB, see how it goes. Thank you for the help!

#5 2013-03-23 18:59:42

ewaller
Administrator

I might suggest a different tack.  If you've an existing Fedora installation, installing Arch along side it is a snap.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ting_Linux

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer