You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-23 17:01:14

novarg

Starting X displaces TTYs

I recently decided to give ArchLinux a try and am very highly appreciating all the valuable documentation that helped me heaps during the installation!

I now ran into a problem though which I can't seem to debug or grasp or what not: Initially, when the system starts, the TTYs all look fine, but as soon as I run startx, X starts just fine but switching back to the TTYs yields some strange results as depicted here:

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/5587/sdc11874a.jpg

The first line "# Path, ..." is the first line of /etc/slim.conf and should actually be in the upper left corner of the screen. Also, it somehow wraps at the border... What is happening? Is this a video driver or X issue? According to the laptop specification, the graphics card is a:
Intel® HD Graphics 4000 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE GPU
I am using the nvidia-package from the official repositories and the default xorg configuration, i.e. no xorg.conf but a list of shipped xorg.conf.d/* configurations.

Remains to say that X runs perfectly fine. I could therefore live with this if needed but I still occasionally find myself in the console so would appreciate any input on this issue!

I'll be happy to provide any more information.
Cheers

Edit: Replaced full-size image with a link to it.

Last edited by novarg (2013-03-23 17:27:44)

#2 2013-03-23 17:20:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Starting X displaces TTYs

Welcome to the forums.  That image, while useful, is larger than forum guidelines - could you move it off-site to to image sharing site and link to it here.

As for the issue - the first/only suggestion I'd have is to see if you have the same issue with the noveau driver.  If so, then at least you know it is the nvidia driver and you can go from there.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-03-23 18:48:04

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I had similar issues with my (much older) Nvidia card: installing the uvesa framebuffer sorted it...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uvesafb

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2013-03-23 19:48:13

novarg

Thank you guys or gals for the amazingly fast replies and for being easy on me! I immediately replaced the embedded image with a link to it!

While plugging in a second monitor and trying to configure it, nvidia-settings spit out an error claiming that I don't appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver, which I thought I did. So I figure I haven't been able to install the nvidia drivers successfully in the first place and will try to fix that first.

Cheers

Last edited by novarg (2013-03-23 19:50:32)

#5 2013-03-23 19:57:55

ewaller
Administrator

novarg wrote:

Thank you guys or gals for the amazingly fast replies and for being easy on me! ...
Cheers

Let's see:

Polite, check.
Fully formed sentences with punctuation. Check.
Full description of the problem. Check.
You told us what you have read. Check.
You told us what you had tried. Check.
You provided artifacts of your attempts. Check.

Why should we be hard on you?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2013-03-24 09:17:18

novarg

Well you do know how to make somebody feel at home! Thank you so much for the warm welcome! :-)

I've seen other forums and especially mailing lists where people tend to act up as soon as one differs only slightly from whatever the rules may dictate. I somewhat took this for granted where I shouldn't have! :-)

I'm looking forward to help and get help in such a friendly atmosphere!
Take care

Board footer