You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-23 14:50:20

Brosko

Installing from live-usb, broadcom card

Hello! I've been reading wiki and googling for a while, but didn't find an exact solution. Here is my story:
I'm trying to install an arch by using medium on usb.
I have a broadcom4312 card, and it doesn't let me configure my network during installation.
I read an article on how to configure a network for my card (b43 or wl). But it seems to me that I need to have an installation of arch completed in order to do that.

What would you advice me to do?

Thanks.

#2 2013-03-23 15:17:24

tophattedcoder

Re: Installing from live-usb, broadcom card

Try using the brcmsmac module during installation - it's very variable but it works.

#3 2013-03-23 15:21:07

Brosko

I made modprobe brcmsmac , but it didn't help. iwconfig still doesn't return me a valid interface.

#4 2013-03-23 15:45:37

Gusar

brcmsmac doesn't support your card. b43 and wl do. For b43, you need b43-firmware from AUR. Download the PKGBUILD and the files it needs (the b43-fwcutter package and http://www.lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/br … 8.tar.bz2) and copy them onto the usb stick. Use them to create the b43-firmware package with makepkg.

#5 2013-03-23 16:19:13

Brosko

Gusar wrote:

brcmsmac doesn't support your card. b43 and wl do. For b43, you need b43-firmware from AUR. Download the PKGBUILD and the files it needs (the b43-fwcutter package and http://www.lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/br … 8.tar.bz2) and copy them onto the usb stick. Use them to create the b43-firmware package with makepkg.

Hm. Can I really do it during installation phase? I'm not familiar wit Arch, so I'd like to get a response on a instruction.
As far as I understand, I have to do smth like this:
1. Download all I need onto USB stick.
2. Untar it directly to a position somewhere on stick.
3. CD to that dir
4. call "makepkg"
5. ?

Is it all and is it all correct? Aren't there any specific locations I need to put the data to?
I looked into "PKGBUILD" and saw some variable, like pkgdir and srdir.
Where are they pointing to? Is it a position relative to current PKGBUILD-file, or is it defined somewhere else?
And yeah, it requires b43-fwcutter. b43-fwcutter is a separate package. I doubt it's preinstalled in core-live-tumb.

Last edited by Brosko (2013-03-23 16:32:15)

#6 2013-03-23 16:40:33

HungGarTiger

Brosko wrote:

Is it all and is it all correct? Aren't there any specific locations I need to put the data to?
Where are they pointing to? Is it a position relative to current PKGBUILD-file, or is it defined somewhere else?
And yeah, it requires b43-fwcutter. b43-fwcutter is a separate package. I doubt it's preinstalled in core-live-tumb.

I'm not sure how it works during the installation phase, but once you have extacted the foo.tar.gz file and cd to the directory you can just run

makepkg
pacman -U foo.tar.xz

Running the commands from any location is fine, pacman will take care of the rest for you

Last edited by HungGarTiger (2013-03-23 16:41:59)

"No sympathy for the devil. If you buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Hunter S. Thompson

#7 2013-03-23 16:42:15

Brosko

HungGarTiger wrote:
Brosko wrote:

I'm not sure how it works suring the installation phase, but once you have extacted the foo.tar.gz file and cd to the directory you can just run

makepkg
pacman -U foo.tar.xz

Running the commands from any location is fine, pacman will take care of the rest for you

Thanks a lot, I'm going to try installing everything right now.
Hope pacman works during installation phase.

Last edited by Brosko (2013-03-23 16:44:51)

#8 2013-03-24 11:11:35

Brosko

Came back here with a report.
Everything worked just great for me. I'm already using  Arch.
The topic can be closed. Thanks for your replies! smile

#9 2013-03-24 12:49:29

HungGarTiger

Brosko wrote:

Came back here with a report.
Everything worked just great for me. I'm already using  Arch.
The topic can be closed. Thanks for your replies! smile

To close the topic and let others searching the forums know that this thread held a solution please make your title as [Solved], you can do this by editing your OP.

"No sympathy for the devil. If you buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Hunter S. Thompson

Board footer