You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-25 20:15:55

theGunslinger

Terminology. Enlightenment makes a terminal of the future.

http://www.enlightenment.org/p.php?p=about/terminology

Pretty impressive stuff being showcased, thoughts by archers?

#2 2013-03-25 20:40:32

jakobcreutzfeldt

Re: Terminology. Enlightenment makes a terminal of the future.

Technically interesting, I suppose, but I have to wonder how much anyone would actually use any of the bells or whistles.

#3 2013-03-25 20:45:37

falconindy
Developer
Website

Yet another case of style over substance, not to mention that much of the flashier things are basically just special interpretations of output from applications tailored for use with only Terminology (tybg, tyls).

As someone who relies on a command line (and therefore, a keyboard) to get any real work done, you'd be prying urxvt from my cold dead hands before I use this.

#4 2013-03-25 21:02:02

karol
Archivist

This is the real terminal of the future ;P

#5 2013-03-25 21:03:11

theGunslinger

By the look of things on their website, I don't see how it's lacking in substance. I love urxvt and use it every day but it requires quite a few patches to do the things terminology does by default. Surely not a lot of people would use animated backgrounds but text selection, image previews, url handling, tabs and splits oob sure sound nice.

Also it s open source, I'm sure there will be fellow hackers to make a stripped version to fit a working environment. So for me it's a step forward.

#6 2013-03-25 21:15:55

Awebb

I like:
- tycat
- clicking on full file paths from find output to open a file.

I hope…
…there will be a standard library for doing such things in the future. As much as I like E17 for all those cool features, the desktop is not exactly usable for me. Using E17 stuff outsite the E is usually also not exactly pleasant.
… that other TE makers at least copy the cool stuff, like clickable file paths.
… to see a less mouse-driven way of interacting with the gui elements. The reason I work with a command line is to reduce the distraction and speed up. I'd like to see something like the follow mode in vimperator.

This reminds me of… cannot find the link… this guy who wrote something like this on his mac. By the way: If your terminal emulator requires a tab function, tiling, multiplexing or whatever window management capability, then your environment is broken.

#7 2013-03-25 23:47:57

Nico666

I loved it.
I would love to live long enough to see a full E17 DE. Would be nice to have an old computer running E17 in my retirement place at the countryside and to spend with it the last days of my life.

#8 2013-03-26 00:16:50

theGunslinger

Awebb wrote:

By the way: If your terminal emulator requires a tab function, tiling, multiplexing or whatever window management capability, then your environment is broken.

Yeah, all those people using tmux, screen and urxvt tabbed must be mad working with their broken environments... People should decide what suits them. Besides, it also works in the framebuffer where more people would appreciate those options.

Last edited by theGunslinger (2013-03-26 00:18:24)

#9 2013-03-26 00:37:17

drcouzelis
Website

Awebb wrote:

This reminds me of… cannot find the link… this guy who wrote something like this on his mac.

karol wrote:

This is the real terminal of the future ;P

#10 2013-03-27 07:04:12

Chrishas

The package in AUR doesn't build unfortunately, I think it needs evas-git.

#11 2013-03-27 08:19:38

Scimmia
Fellow

terminology 0.3.0 should build just fine with EFL 1.7.5. What error are you getting exactly?

Edit, found your error comment in the AUR. I just built both x86_64 and i686 versions in clean chroots with no problems at all. Looking at the logs, eina_unicode_utf8_get_next was added to the API back in Feb 2011. I'm guessing you have some old libs laying around causing problems.

Last edited by Scimmia (2013-03-27 08:40:37)

#12 2013-03-27 09:05:39

Awebb

theGunslinger wrote:
Awebb wrote:

By the way: If your terminal emulator requires a tab function, tiling, multiplexing or whatever window management capability, then your environment is broken.

Yeah, all those people using tmux, screen and urxvt tabbed must be mad working with their broken environments... People should decide what suits them. Besides, it also works in the framebuffer where more people would appreciate those options.

Well, tmux and screen are for the cli, what a window manager is for X. They ARE the environment, so nothing broken on this side. On the other hand, urxvt in regular X should never require tabbing or tiling. I was a heavy terminator user, because openbox did not arrange windows in a "tiling" fashion. The day I switched to i3, I replaced terminator with something else. Now I'm using KDE, I am happy to say, that kwin has its own tabbing feature (as long as you don't use a feature-crippled theme). I even turned off the tabbing mechanism of my messenger, as the kwin feature works very well.

So, last time I used E17 (which has been a while since), the window management was comparably primitive. Fancy expo effects in a terminal window are a symptom of a syndrome.

#13 2013-03-27 13:13:13

Chrishas

Scimmia wrote:

terminology 0.3.0 should build just fine with EFL 1.7.5. What error are you getting exactly?

Edit, found your error comment in the AUR. I just built both x86_64 and i686 versions in clean chroots with no problems at all. Looking at the logs, eina_unicode_utf8_get_next was added to the API back in Feb 2011. I'm guessing you have some old libs laying around causing problems.

I've got enlightenment17(0.17.1-1) and elementary(1.7.5-1) from extra. Plus I only installed Arch last october and have been updating since, although initially I had another version of e17 until the stable was released in extra..

#14 2013-03-27 17:39:00

Scimmia
Fellow

Chrishas wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

I've got enlightenment17(0.17.1-1) and elementary(1.7.5-1) from extra. Plus I only installed Arch last october and have been updating since, although initially I had another version of e17 until the stable was released in extra..

How did you have it installed prior to the release?

#15 2013-03-27 18:13:32

chris_l

Hmm, title of this thread "Terminology. Enlightenment makes a terminal of the future."
So, because it has blings blings and frills, that makes it "a terminal of the future"?

I tried it. I think the tycat command is useful, the frills are cute. (An elinks fork designed to show images under terminology would be nice.) But thats it. I don't see a killer feature to replace my elegant urxvt.
Tabs, tiling, etc. Screen does that for me.
From the website:

There are quite a range of nice features already supported, ranging from the basic ones you'd expect, to things you never expected of a terminal.

I would add "and things that should not be part of a terminal, but of the window manager"

Oh well, is enlightenment, a window manager created with eye candy in mind. I don't hate this terminal, really. Is just the title of the thread.
If it were "Terminology. Enlightenment makes a terminal filled with frills." I would be ok with it.

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#16 2013-03-27 19:58:13

theGunslinger

I'm by no means advertising terminology, I don't even use it. Just thought it was technically impressive and copied the reddit title.

#17 2013-03-27 20:29:30

Awebb

I'd really like to see something like this replace the entire desktop environment. Maybe more features for terminology and nothing else. Then the expo/tabbing would make sense to me as well :-D

#18 2013-03-27 21:00:56

theGunslinger

They claim it runs in the framebuffer so it is posible big_smile

#19 2013-03-27 21:09:33

chris_l

Awebb wrote:

I'd really like to see something like this replace the entire desktop environment. Maybe more features for terminology and nothing else. Then the expo/tabbing would make sense to me as well :-D

theGunslinger wrote:

They claim it runs in the framebuffer so it is posible

Wow. That changes everything. That certainly sounds really nice. big_smile

So, while it will not replace the place I have for urxvt, could end up replacing the place I have for fbterm!

Last edited by chris_l (2013-03-27 21:09:50)

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#20 2013-03-27 21:29:43

progandy

For a terminal thats an awful lot of functionality which requires a mouse. All functionality in a terminal should be available using only a keyboard.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#21 2013-03-28 04:27:56

Chrishas

If I remember correctly it was with the package enlightenment from extra which is now flagged out-of-date.

#22 2013-03-28 05:01:30

Scimmia
Fellow

Chrishas wrote:

If I remember correctly it was with the package enlightenment from extra which is now flagged out-of-date.

You don't remember correctly, that package is E16, not E17 or EFL.

how about doing:
# find / -name libeina*

#23 2013-03-28 07:26:18

Chrishas

Scimmia wrote:
Chrishas wrote:

You don't remember correctly, that package is E16, not E17 or EFL.

how about doing:
# find / -name libeina*

/usr/lib/libeina.so.1
/usr/lib/libeina.a
/usr/lib/libeina.so
/usr/lib/libeina.so.1.7.99

#24 2013-03-28 16:58:26

Scimmia
Fellow

ok, so you aren't running EFL from the Extra repo, that's a development build. You also aren't running my SVN/Git pkgbuilds from the AUR or you wouldn't have the static lib. How did you install the EFL (Ecore, E_DBus, Edje, Eet, Eeze, Efreet, Eina, Eio, Embryo, Emotion, Ethumb, & Evas)? If you're not sure, see if pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libeina.so.1.7.99 or pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libeina.a gives you any clues.

#25 2013-03-28 18:26:48

Chrishas

Scimmia wrote:

ok, so you aren't running EFL from the Extra repo, that's a development build. You also aren't running my SVN/Git pkgbuilds from the AUR or you wouldn't have the static lib. How did you install the EFL (Ecore, E_DBus, Edje, Eet, Eeze, Efreet, Eina, Eio, Embryo, Emotion, Ethumb, & Evas)? If you're not sure, see if pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libeina.so.1.7.99 or pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libeina.a gives you any clues.

Thanks for that, turns out eina-svn was installed as well as some other svn libraries, enlightenment17 was from extra though, just needed to remove them and install the extra libs

Board footer