You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-25 19:04:17

JMO

Gnome-Shell lagging

I've this strange problem.
After the last system update my gnome-shell session is REALLY slow. In fact, it becomes slower by the minute. I've checked gnome-system-monitor and there is no memory leak anywhere, and even turning off all the extensions and session startup programs gives no result. To make it weirder, another user on the same computer has a perfectly normal Gnome-Shell experience.

Any ideas on how to tackle this?

(Fortunately MATE is a great DM. Oh... the good ol' days ^_^)

#2 2013-03-26 09:51:03

jrussell

Re: Gnome-Shell lagging

I would say create a new user, and start installing those same extensions that you have the problem with and see what happens. It seems its something to do with your user in particular. Are all your extensions up to date?

bitcoin: 1G62YGRFkMDwhGr5T5YGovfsxLx44eZo7U

#3 2013-03-26 23:37:26

bwat47

JMO wrote:

After the last system update my gnome-shell session is REALLY slow. In fact, it becomes slower by the minute. I've checked gnome-system-monitor and there is no memory leak anywhere, and even turning off all the extensions and session startup programs gives no result. To make it weirder, another user on the same computer has a perfectly normal Gnome-Shell experience.

You can try looking at /home/username/.cache/gdm/session.log to see if there's any potentially relevent errors.

#4 2013-03-27 19:29:24

Dantix

I have an issue with gnome-shell that it is consuming a lot of RAM and this is causing  to slow down entire desktop. When I reload gnome-shell, memory usage drops to 75MB and there is no any lags. But after some time it is starting again. Drives me crazy and I can not do anything about it.

#5 2013-03-27 22:05:10

bwat47

Dantix wrote:

I have an issue with gnome-shell that it is consuming a lot of RAM and this is causing  to slow down entire desktop. When I reload gnome-shell, memory usage drops to 75MB and there is no any lags. But after some time it is starting again. Drives me crazy and I can not do anything about it.

probably: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32484, https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=685513

apparently gnome 3.8 is supposed to fix it

Last edited by bwat47 (2013-03-27 22:06:00)

#6 2013-03-29 00:48:29

JMO

bwat47 wrote:
JMO wrote:

You can try looking at /home/username/.cache/gdm/session.log to see if there's any potentially relevent errors.

This is it:

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/gdm/Xsession: línea 156: xhost: no se encontró la orden
/etc/gdm/Xsession: ssh-agent not found!
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: gnome-session
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/run/user/1000/keyring-5fRYxi
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/run/user/1000/keyring-5fRYxi
      JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Thu Mar 28 2013 21:41:58 GMT-0300 (ART)
      JS LOG: Extension "NothingToDo@obsidien.github.com" had error: Error: Strange version number (extension.js:9).
      JS LOG: Extension "battery-power-statistics-shortcut@l300lvl.co.nr" had error: Error: Strange version number (extension.js:35).
failed to create drawable
Advertencia del gestor de ventanas: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
Advertencia del gestor de ventanas: Got a request to focus the no_focus_window with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!

#7 2013-03-29 00:58:40

JMO

bwat47 wrote:
Dantix wrote:

probably: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32484, https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=685513

apparently gnome 3.8 is supposed to fix it

I'll be looking for it. Thanks.-

#8 2013-04-29 17:09:17

JMO

I've updated to Gnome 3.8, and moreover I've changed my username and home folder as said on the Arch Linux wiki

Still with terrible performance, but if I create a new user it all goes smooth.

Can it be something on my config files? I've removed completely .xinitrc and .Xprofiles, so I guess there must be something on the Gnome config folders.

Board footer