You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-29 17:14:28

metafractal

System suspend obstructed by external hard drive

I have a 500GB Seagate external USB hard drive. When it is not plugged in,

sudo systemctl suspend

suspends the system. With the drive plugged in, whether mounted or not, I get the message

Device 5:0:0:0 failed to suspend async: error -5
Some devices failed to suspend
dpm_run_callback():scsi_bus_suspend+0x0/0x30 [scsi_mod] returns -5

Here is my /etc/fstab line:

LABEL=ExpansionDrive    /media/ExpansionDrive ntfs-3g   uid=1000,gid=users,auto,nofail,relatime,                   remove_hiberfile    0       0  

I have experimented with many fstab options to no avail, I doubt the problem is here.

I use this laptop as a server and have it perform automatic backups, so it's not feasible to manually unplug the drive every time I want it to suspend. What can be done to allow the system to suspend with the drive plugged in?

#2 2013-03-30 06:17:24

WonderWoofy

Re: System suspend obstructed by external hard drive

I don't know that this has anything to do with it, but your fstab entry is really really f*cked up.

#3 2013-03-31 13:36:22

metafractal

Would you care to expand? I'm just trying to automount the NTFS drive with user permissions. It seems to work with ldm.

#4 2013-03-31 13:52:12

WonderWoofy

The options line is.... crazy. First I thought it was a trailing comma, then I scrolled over and it is just a super no bueno gigantic space.

#5 2013-04-06 00:36:15

gonr

I had the same problem suspending today, "scsi_bus_suspend+0x0/0x30 [scsi_mod] returns -5" and another line implicating my external HD. I've been using my external HD for years without problems, this is the first time I've seen this. I updated by -Syyu a week or two ago.

The weird thing is, my external HD was not even plugged in. I had accidentally unplugged it without unmounting (and I hadn't written anything to it), and the system still thought it was mounted. I then unmounted it, but I still couldn't suspend. A device file was still present in /dev and /sys/block. After trying a few other things that didn't work related to removing those I "solved" it by rebooting, and I can suspend again.

The HD is not in my fstab, it was automounted by gnome to a directory in /run/media.

Last edited by gonr (2013-04-06 00:42:59)

Board footer