You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-30 00:54:57

lmello

GNOME 3.8 video

Well here it is showing what's new.

I didn't like the major overhaul of the search/application launcher interfaces at all, especially the AppFolder thing replacing the standard .desktop files' Categories. There's a saying which is 'you don't make changes on a winning team' and IMHO the basic proposal of what they were working on was already achieved on 3.6 - browsing applications is way faster and eye-appealing than with either Windows or KDE. The little additions are fine, though, like launching multiple applications by holding CTRL.

Nautilus' got tree-view back again for goodness' sake also, and the 'Classic mode' looks promising for those who don't like the Gnome Shell at all.

What do you think?

Last edited by lmello (2013-03-30 00:55:48)

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#2 2013-03-30 01:28:24

drcouzelis
Website

Re: GNOME 3.8 video

Is this the thread where I get to complain about GNOME 3?

Because a lot of software developers and artists put a lot of effort into making a ton of fabulously gorgeous vector icons that GNOME 3 fashionably displays only half of in the upper panel, and I think that's about as silly as buying a 20 inch monitor and only using the middle 10 inches.

#3 2013-03-30 02:51:25

ScionicSpectre

I think everything has improved overall. I had a few conversations with Allan Day and Jakub Steiner about categories, and how I saw them as something unique to Linux that we should advertise. When they asked me the last time I needed to use them in the Shell, I suddenly realized how inefficient and ambiguous those categories could be. Letting the user decide how apps should be organized solves a lot of problems with the layout and usefulness of categories, although there are trade-offs. I'm pretty sure that if we had user-controlled groups for apps before and switched to categories, people would have a worse reaction.

It would be a good idea for anyone who is wary of GNOME to look over the design specifications now, since that's where it's headed. It would be silly to think things would go the other way when the community has already been collaborating for years to fulfill the vision that was born with ToPaZ back in 2008. So I'd suggest looking at the GNOME Design documents, since they've always been out there for everyone to see. That way you won't keep getting unexpected surprises.

#4 2013-03-30 08:22:02

kjell

Looks like nice changes, can't wait to get this installed...

Last edited by kjell (2013-03-30 08:46:32)

#5 2013-03-30 08:45:45

hadrons123

The clock on the video screen doesn't change time for the  whole length of  13 mins. Wonder why?

Overall it looks cool. can't wait to install.

#6 2013-03-30 09:08:58

kaszak696

... Silent Hill theme? Fitting, strangely.

The clock on the video screen doesn't change time for the  whole length of  13 mins. Wonder why?

I had this issue with GPU acceleration enabled in chromium.

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#7 2013-03-30 11:04:53

lmello

Letting the user decide how apps should be organized solves a lot of problems with the layout and usefulness of categories, although there are trade-offs.

I agree, but according to this article the new AppFolder UI isn't 100% ready for 3.8 - we'll have to wait untill 3.10 for easy reallocation within the Shell.

Looks like nice changes, can't wait to get this installed...

Me too, most of the changes are indeed nice, and then I'll see how this AppFolder thing will work out smile

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#8 2013-03-30 14:17:44

Pank

Overall it looks like a great release.  I'm looking forward to trying it.  I don't have an opinion on the folders in the overview.  I always just type in the name and it is very quickly.  I am running Gnome on my 'new' FrankenPad and it looks great on my high resolution IPS display!  [Bonus Question: how can I set my default mail application as a script?]

Off Topic:
I somehow wish that the Cinnamon people or Mate people and the Gnome people would work together and make the various 'flavors' compatible.  Mate is obviously different, but perhaps they could provide changes to the classical view making it more compatible with their preferences.  Anyway, I expect I do not have enough insights to fully appreciate the issues at work.

Arch x64 on Thinkpad X200s/W530

#9 2013-03-30 15:30:17

bwat47

gnome 3.8 looks like a big improvement all around to me, can't wait to try it.

#10 2013-03-30 18:00:36

hadrons123

I currently tried 3.8 for gnome-unstable and none of the gnome-applications seems to start even from xfce. I think  pango/cairo package is broken.
with this error

[freedom@archlinux ~]$ nautilus

(nautilus:3403): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2720: You forgot to call g_type_init()

(nautilus:3403): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2720: You forgot to call g_type_init()

(nautilus:3403): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_interface_add_prerequisite: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INTERFACE (interface_type)' failed

(nautilus:3403): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `result != 0' failed

(nautilus:3403): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

Last edited by hadrons123 (2013-03-30 18:19:34)

#11 2013-04-07 17:15:53

lmello

Oh man this has just 'ruined' my day sad

I always thought that 'bugs before features' should be any developer's mantra, but no.

Board footer