You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-30 14:01:11

Apple

GRUB already installed on MBR - should I install on Arch? [SOLVED]

I've just finished the installation guide, and was happy with everything apart from the part where it suggested installing a bootloader.

I already have grub2 installed on the MBR from when I installed Ubuntu, so I figure I should be able to add some configuration files to the arch partition so that GRUB can see it, and that should be fine.

The problem is, as I haven't installed GRUB on the arch partition, I can't use grub-mkconfig (and I expect there are other files that would be put in the grub directory during installation that might be neccessary).

If I had GRUB installed on my Ubuntu partition I'd just add an Arch entry there, but that would cause trouble when I remove Ubuntu.

So do I have to install GRUB on the Arch partition in order to get the grub configuration files? Or am I missing a way of adding the partition to the preexisting bootloader?

Thanks in advance
Apple

Last edited by Apple (2013-03-30 16:15:55)

#2 2013-03-30 14:22:07

shulamy

Re: GRUB already installed on MBR - should I install on Arch? [SOLVED]

you can use ubuntu's grub.

you just have to update it to include arch.

ezik

#3 2013-03-30 14:41:08

Apple

Thanks for the reply, but how do I update it?

If I update the grub.cfg in Ubuntu's /boot/ directory, and then decide to uninstall Ubuntu, won't that remove arch from the GRUB at the same time? (or are you saying that it will change the grub but won't be neccessary afterwards?)

I thought the fact the GRUB is installed on the MBR would mean that it would be more independant.

Last edited by Apple (2013-03-30 14:41:30)

#4 2013-03-30 16:08:51

bgc1954

Apple wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but how do I update it?

If I update the grub.cfg in Ubuntu's /boot/ directory, and then decide to uninstall Ubuntu, won't that remove arch from the GRUB at the same time? (or are you saying that it will change the grub but won't be neccessary afterwards?)

I thought the fact the GRUB is installed on the MBR would mean that it would be more independant.

Grub isn't independant at all--I don't think any bootloader is totally independant.  Grub is dependant on the os that you installed it with as that is where the config file is  so if you're planning on uninstalling it later you can install it in Arch or whatever you decide on keeping. 

You'll have to check the ubuntu grub wiki if you choose to keep grub in ubuntu as this forum is for support of Arch linux. smile

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#5 2013-03-30 16:15:33

Apple

O.k, thanks - mistaken assumption I guess.

#6 2013-03-30 16:18:14

progandy

Grub isn't independant at all--I don't think any bootloader is totally independant.

It is independent if you have /boot on an extra partition. The package in the operating system only adds tools to reinstall it and simplify the configuration update. You could always manually modify /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
If you have an extra boot partition you can always remove the operating system. This will result in unusable menu entries, but if there are entries for your second os they remain intact. Then just regenerate the configfile with your other os and you are done. (You have to download and install the grub package in arch, but you don't have to actually call grub-install if you already have grub2 in the MBR)

Last edited by progandy (2013-03-30 16:20:50)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#7 2013-03-30 16:38:42

bgc1954

progandy wrote:

Grub isn't independant at all--I don't think any bootloader is totally independant.

It is independent if you have /boot on an extra partition. The package in the operating system only adds tools to reinstall it and simplify the configuration update. You could always manually modify /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
If you have an extra boot partition you can always remove the operating system. This will result in unusable menu entries, but if there are entries for your second os they remain intact. Then just regenerate the configfile with your other os and you are done. (You have to download and install the grub package in arch, but you don't have to actually call grub-install if you already have grub2 in the MBR)

Aha!  The one and only reason for having a separate boot partition--just joking wink --thus, my ignorance of why people choose to have a separate boot partition.  I also use syslinux instead of grub2 so I'm a little behind the times it seems.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#8 2013-03-30 17:10:00

elkoraco

bgc1954 wrote:

Aha!  The one and only reason for having a separate boot partition--just joking wink --thus, my ignorance of why people choose to have a separate boot partition.  I also use syslinux instead of grub2 so I'm a little behind the times it seems.

I use a separate boot partition with syslinux. I have to, because I use LVM.

Board footer