You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-30 19:06:51

dreadgrrl

Unreliable WiFi on Macbook Pro 8.1

Hey y'all,
I've been using arch for a few months now and everything has been going well with the exception of how unreliable my internet connection is. Basically, I don't really have a problem connecting to the internet, but after using it for a minute the internet connection will suddenly drop and the only way to get it working again is to turn it off and on again. When I first started using arch in January the same problem was happening, but happened much less frequently. With more recent updates, however, the problem has become unbearable with more recent system updates. I have a brcm4331 wireless card and am using the b43 driver. I used the instructions from http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/ to install the b43 firmware on my computer. I've searched around for others with the same proplem, but only found this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=139911 which isn't with the same chip as mine, and the bcm4331 chip is not supported by the wl drivers. I also have another friend who's been on arch longer than I have and is having the exact same problems as I am.

Any help would be awesome! I can post any additional info that may be needed, though I'm a bit of a linux newb and may need help figuring out how to do things.

#2 2013-03-30 19:16:44

Gusar

Re: Unreliable WiFi on Macbook Pro 8.1

4331 support is quite incomplete, so issues aren't surprising. Recently some patches to hopefully improve the situation were posted to the wireless mailing list, but I don't know it which kernel they will land, probably 3.10. Until then you'll have to live with what you've got. Unless you're prepared to invest in an usb wifi adapter.

#3 2013-03-31 18:15:15

dreadgrrl

Re: Unreliable WiFi on Macbook Pro 8.1

What is the wireless mailing list? Is it open to the public? I figure if I'm dealing with a chip that has little support that I ought to get on something like that if it would mean that I would know when to expect updates for it. I had seen before that broadcom intended to add 4331 support to the bcmsmac drivers, but that's been on their to do list for over a year and I don't want to wait around for them to eventually fix it. So a linux kernel patch sounds way better, even if 3.10 won't be coming too soon.

#4 2013-03-31 18:40:16

Gusar

Board footer