You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-02 13:34:02

Zharvek
Website

Thunar Network Icon and Server Icons

Hello all I have a small problem with the icon that Thunar displays for the Network location on the sidebar.

broken-icons.png

The network icon is a folder, this changed some time ago, possibly a Thunar update or udev.

When I change to 'Shortcut' view on the side pane, the icon is correct but I much prefer tree view. Also on the right, once in the network place, all icons are a blank white page. They used to be little server icons.

I have recently installed Arch on my laptop, the same as I did on my desktop and both have the exact same problem.

The networking is fine, file transfers, browsing, everything works. It's just the icons.

I have all packages from the community and extra repos.

Using only the GNOME icon theme, no others installed except those that came with a standard XFCE4 install.

pacman -Ss gnome-icon
extra/gnome-icon-theme 3.6.2-1 (gnome) [installed]
    GNOME icon theme
extra/gnome-icon-theme-extras 3.6.2-1 (gnome) [installed]
    GNOME icon theme, extra icons
extra/gnome-icon-theme-symbolic 3.6.2-1 (gnome) [installed]
    GNOME icon theme, symbolic icons

and

extra/hicolor-icon-theme 0.12-2 [installed]
    Freedesktop.org Hicolor icon theme

I have done a

/usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache
and
reinstalled librsvg

If anyone needs more information I'll be happy to provide. Thank you.

Last edited by Zharvek (2013-04-02 13:47:22)

#2 2014-01-22 17:34:20

darthpenguin

Re: Thunar Network Icon and Server Icons

Did you ever find solution to this? I have same problem.

#3 2014-01-22 17:53:25

Zharvek
Website

Sorry no, still living with ugly networking icons. If anyone has suggestions I will happily try them out.

#4 2014-01-22 20:08:32

toz

The sidebar network icon that is being used is called gtk-network. For fixed icon themes (like gnome), you need to create an icon called gtk-network.png and place it in the icon theme's 24x24/places directory. For scalable icon themes (like Faenza), you need to create an icon called gtk-network.svg and place it in the icon theme's apps/scalable directory (or any other scalable directory indexed in the icon theme's index.theme file).

The right-pane network location icon that is being used is called application-octet-stream. For fixed icon themes, you need to create size-specific icons called application-octet-stream.png and place them in the icon theme's appropriate __x__/mimetypes folders (8x8, 16x16, 22x22, etc). For scalable icon themes, you need to create an icon called application-octet-stream.svg and place it in the icon theme's mimetypes/scalable or scalable/mimetypes directory (or any other scalable directory indexed in the icon theme's index.theme file).

You will also need to run "gtk-update-icon-cache <icon_theme_folder>" for the changes to take effect (interestingly, I notice some delay here between running the command and the icons actually changing for fixed icon themes).

...at least this is what worked for me with the gnome, Faenza and a couple of other scalable icon themes.

#5 2014-01-24 06:27:23

orschiro
Website

Have you maybe tried how other file managers present the network locations? Just to make sure whether this is a Thunar issue.

Board footer