You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-24 14:40:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

Perl Packaging Problem

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here. I've already posted this on the mailing-list and on Flyspray, and the response has been underwhelming so far. So maybe someone here could throw an eye over it, while I'm waiting.

I've been trying to build the perl Cache module. One of the prerequisites is DB_File => 1.72. I have the Arch package perl-5.8.7-1 installed, which includes DB_File 1.811. However, when I run perl Makefile.PL to start building Cache, a warning is displayed saying DB_File => 1.72 is missing.

So far, I have three workarounds, listed here in the order I made/tested them in:
1) Create a local DB_File package for the current version 1.814, and force-install it over perl. It has to be forced because perl-5.8.7-1 has already installed the same files.
2) Create a local perl package, amending the PKGBUILD from [current] to use DB_File 1.814 instead of 1.811.
3) This is an odd one - create a local perl package, this time removing the PKGBUILD lines that include DB_File 1.811, so that the default version of DB_File is used i.e. the one in the perl-5.8.7 source tarball. The odd thing is that AFAICS, this default version is already 1.811. :?

Any one of the above facilitates a successful build of Cache, my current choice being 2). However, I don't believe any of these scenarios allow me to submit Cache, and the package I ultimately need it for, FuseFTP, to the AUR, hence the Flyspray post.

Any thoughts anyone?

P.S. FuseFTP is pretty cool, BTW, and working fine with the workaround.

#2 2005-11-25 01:54:28

kpiche
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Perl Packaging Problem

Well you could try modifying the Makefile.PL or META.yaml so that the version required is 1.811 or 0 (for any version) and see if the Cache module works with the latest DB_File.

sed '/DB_File/ s/1.72/0/' -i Makefile.PL

Good luck
k

#3 2005-11-25 10:20:57

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Perl Packaging Problem

Thanks for the suggestion. I've reverted to the stock Arch perl package and tried both 0 and 1.811 in Makefile.PL. Unfortunately, the result is still the same.

I reckon I'll shelve it until the next version of perl comes around.

Board footer