You are not logged in.

#26 2013-04-02 20:30:49

WhiteKnight

Re: After recent updates, Gnome freezes randomly. Video problem?

bmanuel wrote:

Nice i'm not the only one with vanilla Gnome, hopefully we'll rule out and pinpoint the problem OR gnome 3.8 will fix this?

I'm (absolutely?) sure that this is (at least in my case) related to one of the gnome extensions I was using. Since this was pretty hard to find out, I stopped testing them one by one.
Now I'm running vanilla Gnome like you (except "Remove Accessibility").

Perhaps I will start again activating them one by one every other day until the desktop freezes.

#27 2013-04-02 20:47:37

bmanuel

But are you disconnecting the remote machine you mounted? In my case, each time a share reboot/go down then Gnome Shell will freeze until i lazy unmount the drives.. o_O

#28 2013-04-02 21:18:24

WhiteKnight

bmanuel wrote:

But are you disconnecting the remote machine you mounted? In my case, each time a share reboot/go down then Gnome Shell will freeze until i lazy unmount the drives.. o_O

Sorry, I had no problems with that. (I have 2 nfs mounts, 1 smb/cifs mount permanently active and various ssh/sftp mounts via gvfs over the day.)

#29 2014-04-02 17:20:28

articice

Hello guys!
I've recently build my new Linux (it is a different distro, not Arch), first-booted it, and had similar error messages:

[  749.804122] [drm:radeon_cs_ib_chunk] *ERROR* Invalid command stream !
[  749.821183] radeon 0000:08:00.0: texture bo too small (1108 63 26 0 -> 294912 have 290816)
[  749.821187] radeon 0000:08:00.0: alignments 1152 64 8 256

The problem comes from building newest glibc without suid functionality (it is a security fix), and this requires special flags for mounting shm (and pts - I couldn't open new emulated terminals too). In KDE I had strange visual artefacts instead of window manager decorations, and the drawing of some of the window surfaces did not happen until I hovered the mouse over them. KDE did not seem to freeze or crash, though.
Re-mounting the filesystems like this solved the problems for me:

shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5)

(you might also want to use the nosuid mount flag for them).

I googled the error to see if I could help anybody else.

So, either mount shm with the proper mode, or enable the suid functionality for glibc. You can read more about it in glibc documentation.

Note, I have mesa built with egl, gbm and openvg support, and kwin (or the entire KDE) uses opengl. I'm not quite sure the glibc configuration is related to this, but this definitely looks like a shared memory hardware rendering problem (at least on my side).

Also, judging from your error log, the vesa Xorg driver modules are missing.

Cheers.

Board footer