You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-03 10:22:48

d029940

[Solved] Xfce: Hide menu entries in Other menu

Hello,

I installed screenlets (screenlets-pack-full-bzr) and now I have a bunch of menu entries in the "Other menu" of my Xfce menu. Virtually all screenlets show up in the Other Menu.

I cannot get rid of even one of them:

What I did (e.g. for the FeedReaderPlus screenlet):

1) copied /usr/share/applications/screenlets_pack_all/feedreaderplus-screenlet.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications/screenlets-pack-all and added a NoDisplay=true at the end of the file feedreaderplus-screenlet.desktop.
That did not work.

2) copied the same file to ~/.local/share/applications and added a NoDisplay=true at the end of the file feedreaderplus-screenlet.desktop.
That did not work either.

3) Took a desktop entry from another submenu (e.g. eclipse from development submenu), put it in ~/.local/share/applications adding NoDisplay=true to the end of eclipse.desktop.
That worked.

So my questions: Does the NoDisplay=true only work for those menu entries, which are not in the "Other" menu? What am I doing wrong? Or the other way around: What do I need to do, to get rid of menu entries in the "other" submenu?

Any Idea?

PS: I googled and searched a lot.

Last edited by d029940 (2013-04-03 19:46:30)

#2 2013-04-03 10:40:40

Sanne

Re: [Solved] Xfce: Hide menu entries in Other menu

It should work, as far as I know. I tried hiding a random entry from my Other menu and it worked instantly at first try. I did:

cp /usr/share/applications/sun-javaws.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/sun-javaws.desktop

and added NoDisplay=true at the end of the file. I also made sure to have a newline at the end, just in case. Don't know if it helps you much, but at least I can confirm that it works in my case.

If our currency were not money but appreciation and acknowledgement for what we do for others, for the community, for the benefit of all, we would have paradise on earth.

#3 2013-04-03 11:35:09

swanson

There's also Hidden=true and OnlyShowIn=KDE; ...

#4 2013-04-03 11:35:43

d029940

Hello Sanne,

thank you for your reply. I checked my files and can confirm that they have a new line at the end.

Since it is working with your machine, my assumption is, .i.e. is related to the sub directory which screenlets use.

Your sun-javaws.desktop file resides under /usr/share/applications/ whereas the screenlet desktop files are located under /usr/share/applications/screenlets-pack-all or /usr/share/applications/screenlets-pack-basic.

I will move one of the screenlet desktop files directly under /usr/share/applications, copy it to ~/.local/share/applications and add NoDisplay=true.

I will post the result soon.

Thx

#5 2013-04-03 11:47:19

d029940

So I checked it.

What I did to check it:

1) mv /usr/share/applications/screenlets_pack_all/feedreaderplus-screenlet.desktop  /usr/share/applications  (i.e. one directory above)
2) cp /usr/share/applications/feedreaderplus-screenlet.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
3) added NoDisplay=true and a new line to the end of ~/.local/share/applications/feedreaderplus-screenlet.desktop

This is working. There is no more a menu entry for FeedReaderPlus in the "Other" sub menu.

Drawback: I move files which are installed by the package, i.e. it is no more under control of pacman. I really don't like this.
So does anyone has a suggestion how I can hide menu entries which are located under directories below /usr/share/applications/ ?

Thx again.

#6 2013-04-03 11:55:42

d029940

Hello swanson,

Hidden=true does not work (if I keep the screenlet desktop files under a sub directory of /usr/share/applications/).

Also OnlyShowIn=KDE does not give me the result. screenlet is still shown in the "Other" menu.

Thx

Last edited by d029940 (2013-04-03 12:02:15)

#7 2013-04-03 14:36:45

Sanne

d029940,

I also tested now with entries in subdirectories and found that I have to log out and in again to see the change. I tried with K3b, a KDE programm I use under Xfce4. Its desktop file is:

/usr/share/applications/kde4/k3b.desktop

and copied in my home to here:

/home/sanne/.local/share/applications/kde4/k3b.desktop

It shows up in the menu under Multimed, System and Utils. When I add NoDisplay=true to the file in my home directory, the entries are still present, but after loging out and in again, the entries are gone. Maybe worth a try?

Edit: typos

Last edited by Sanne (2013-04-03 14:40:03)

If our currency were not money but appreciation and acknowledgement for what we do for others, for the community, for the benefit of all, we would have paradise on earth.

#8 2013-04-03 15:13:15

phil

Did you try lxmed? Available in the AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lxmed/?setlang=de

#9 2013-04-03 19:44:59

d029940

Hello Sanne,

logout and login again did the trick. Surprisingly, my test with eclipse worked immediately.

Thank you for your hint.

@phil:

I checked XAME (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=xame). XAME shows desktop entries which are located directly under ~/.local/share/applications, but not in sub directories. It seems that lxmed does not look in ~./local/share/applications at all.

#10 2013-04-03 21:17:42

Sanne

Ha, great it's working for you, and I learned something also, so thank you as well!

#11 2013-04-04 08:07:07

Padfoot

Yes, it is a little quirk with xfce. The menu is refreshed whenever the desktop is refreshed. So changes you make to the menu may not immediately appear. You don't need to log out to get a refresh. just open a terminal and run:

$ xfdesktop --reload

Cheers.

#12 2013-04-04 12:26:36

Sanne

Thank you, Padfoot, very useful.

Board footer