You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-03 07:39:49

mdev

Newsbeuter regressions anyone?

Hi there,

are there other newsbeuter/podbeuter users that are experiencing problems since the recent update to 2.6-1?

The most annoying regression for me is that in podbeuter, pressing "P" (purge finished) has no effect at all any more. Each time I have to manually do a

echo > ~/.config/newsbeuter/queue

Another problem is that upon pressing "R" in newsbeuter itself, feeds seem to be updated in random order now, showing pointless progress information like "(6/50)" followed by "(37/50)" followed by "(14/50)" etc.

(I'm using Xmonad and urxvt.)

Thanks for any feedback

#2 2013-04-03 08:44:14

jakobcreutzfeldt

Re: Newsbeuter regressions anyone?

I also see a random order when refreshing feeds but I hardly think of it as a regression. I don't really see why it matters. I'm sure they changed the way feed refreshing was implemented to some more efficient way that doesn't require loading them in a linear order.

I don't use the podcast support so I have no input there.

#3 2013-04-03 09:17:48

mdev

Thanks. It matters to me because my feeds are priority sorted, so I could start reading important posts while the others were still being downloaded (this can take a few minutes). But I agree that this is a minor point. The podbeuter behavior is the really broken part for me here.

#4 2013-04-03 09:24:06

jakobcreutzfeldt

For the reloading problem, try setting the "reload-threads" option to something higher than 1. You'll still have a random order but by loading multiple feeds in parallel, it'll hopefully go faster for you.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2013-04-03 09:24:15)

#5 2013-04-03 11:21:13

skanky

I'm pretty sure I had the randaom update in the previous version and always assumed it to be because I was using multiple threads. That is, the update shows what each thread is doing for a time.

As for the purge, I'd never used it before, but trying it now, it cleared a played (finished) podcast. Don't have any deleted ones to try on at the moment.
In the past I didn't have to edit the queue file, I typed 'D' for each podcast I wanted to clear and they were removed when I restarted podbeuter (I shutdown daily so that happened then).

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#6 2013-04-03 13:10:26

mdev

Thanks for your suggestion of configuring reload-threads, I'll do that.

However, the podbeuter issue is still unresolved for me:

In the previous version: after downloading an audio file, it had a status of "finished", I pressed "P" and it was gone from the queue.

In the current version: after downloading an audio file, it has a status of "ready". Pressing "P" or even "m" has no effect at all. I have to start to play the file using "p", then quit the player -- only then is the file marked "finished" and "P" removes it from the queue.

Sure, I'm using podbeuter as a podfetcher only, not as a player. But there should be an easier way to remove an unplayed file from the queue. I'll test this against the github version and if it shows the same behavior tell them there.

#7 2013-04-03 13:21:30

fijit

It looks like this is a "feature" (https://github.com/akrennmair/newsbeuter/pull/61), but I also find it annoying.

#8 2013-04-03 13:22:46

skanky

From the man page:

Podcasts that have been downloaded but haven’t been played yet remain in the queue but are
       marked as downloaded. You can remove them by purging them from the queue with the P key.
       After you’ve played a file and close podbeuter, it will be removed from the queue. The
       downloaded file remains on the filesystem.

I'm not sure this is how it works now, and I think I prefer the behaviour to the man page. I don't think played pods were automatically removed before either (though they may be now, I've not tested).
I don't really have any I can play with at the moment.

Meantime, "D" will mark pods as deleted, and "P" will purge those.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

Board footer