You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-04 18:03:35

jefdaj

[SOLVED] What's the "proper" way to set up wifi management nowadays?

The Wireless Management section on the wiki gives a lot of options for getting wifi working... do any of them come more highly recommended than others? At this point I think I have several installed and they're conflicting.

Here's a laundry list of what I want, and my current way of going about it:
- The most important thing is to connect to known networks automatically, either when I turn on the wireless or start/wake the laptop. I have the net-auto-wireless, net-profiles, and netcfg services enabled. I probably need to remove all but one of those right? I end up needing to do 'sudo netcfg profile_name' a couple times to get it working, except the first time I turn on/wake. Then the connection drops sometimes and I need to reconnect manually.
- I wrote a Python script that logs into my school network, and ideally that would run each time a new network comes up. I think it could be attached as a post_up script (or a systemd unit?), but currently I'm running it as a wrapper around netcfg.
- It would be nice to list the networks by priority, so for example if my school network and Starbucks are both in range it goes for the school one. I could just prefix them 00_, 01_... in /etc/network.d
- My NTP time synchronization isn't working, which I think is related. I need to do 'sudo ntpd -qg' a lot.

Is there an elegant/systemd-ish way of accomplishing the whole setup? Once I get it figured out I'd be willing to write a short guide, either on the wiki or as a sticky or something.
Thanks

Last edited by jefdaj (2013-04-05 06:35:18)

#2 2013-04-04 20:16:07

SolarBoyMatt

Re: [SOLVED] What's the "proper" way to set up wifi management nowadays?

Just try different ones out and see what you like, we can't decide for you... Regardless it sounds like what you're looking for is wicd, which is right on the page that you linked to, give it a try or something.

As for the ntp problem, are you running it as a daemon?

Last edited by SolarBoyMatt (2013-04-04 20:19:32)

#3 2013-04-05 01:09:23

cris9288

I just use netcfg. All I do is systemctl enable net-auto-wireless and it automatically generates a profile for a new network which you can then add to your AUTO_PROFILES array in /etc/conf.d/netcfg. netcfg will connect to whichever one of those profiles are available. I'm not sure if it implements the priority feature that you want though.

I haven't experienced any trouble yet. I suspend my laptop before heading to school. When I get to campus and wake it up, it automatically connects to the schools network. It connects to my network when I get home again without any problems. You should check out the wiki.

#4 2013-04-05 01:11:22

hadrons123

I use networkmanager and It works like charm.

Last edited by hadrons123 (2013-04-05 01:11:36)

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#5 2013-04-05 02:13:04

cfr

I use wicd although I don't think it is very KISS especially since I use the eduroam script from AUR. However, it does work nicely. I'm less keen on networkmanager but it does seem to have improved a little bit lately.

This should really be TGN. It is hardly a "laptop issue" given the existence of the wiki. And some of it depends on the sorts of networks you want to connect to. So there is no one solution for everybody anyway.

Last edited by cfr (2013-04-05 02:14:21)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#6 2013-04-05 06:34:46

jefdaj

Huh, guess the wiki is right. smile They all work, you just can't mix and match. I uninstalled everything and installed wicd, and it's working great. After doing that, though, I discovered that what I actually want is coming soon: netctl. So I'll try that out next and see if it's ready.

UPDATE: Nope, not ready, still has some issues. But the important thing is it's coming along!

Last edited by jefdaj (2013-04-05 21:34:57)

Board footer