You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-05 07:09:12

Murray_B

VoIP with Jabber

Hi altogether,

maybe you know that Microsoft is shutting down MSN in 3 days and over all the last years I always had trouble with all those proprietary messengers because they changed ther protocol or something like that. So I decided to switch over to an open and standardised messenger: XMPP/Jabber. I want to be able to make audio and video calls with it, so I was looking for a client which could do this. And here the trouble began…

I tried pidgin, gajim, psi and jitsi. All of them should support voice calls, but when I clicked on a contact with my mouse I could start a text chat, but there wasn't even an entry for a voice call. Except of jitsi, but the entry was greyed. I searched the web for a howto about doing voice calls with jabber, but didn't found something usable. I asked in IRC channels - and got no answers. I didn't guess that this would be so complicated...

So, is there anybody out there, doing VoIP with XMPP/Jabber? Which client are you using and how do you initiate a call?

I wonder, if this is worth all the work, seems like nobody really uses it. Maybe I have to stay with skype. :-(

Thanks in advance!

Really frustrated,

Murray_B

#2 2013-04-05 08:01:40

jakobcreutzfeldt

Re: VoIP with Jabber

It's still really a mess. On the one hand, you need to find out what media libraries you need to install for your particular client (probably one of the gstreamer plugins). On the other hand, you have apparent incompatibilities between different clients (say, for example, you can't call someone using jitsi if you're using pidgin...a hypothetical but plausible example). Finally, if you're trying to do a video chat with someone who uses Google Talk/Chat/whateveritscalled, you'll need additional plugins (for H264, if I remember correctly).

I've had the best luck with GNOME Empathy, but that of course requires GNOME. Since ditching that, I haven't found a better solution, but then again I haven't tried hard recently.

#3 2013-04-05 11:10:58

demaio
Website

Maybe this link to the FSFE is interesting for you:

http://fsfe.org/news/2012/news-20120920-01.en.html

They did a comparison of several free voice and video chat apps.

#4 2013-04-05 11:29:29

Murray_B

demaio: Ouch, yes, very interesting. Seems like nobody uses VoIP with XMPP because it's just unusable.
And the article is really new.. Damn, what should I do with my brand new webcam now?

Board footer