You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-10 08:07:13

yell!
Member
Registered: 2011-05-16
Posts: 48

[SOLVED] error: Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds

EDIT: it was a DNS lookup problem. I don't know why but it is better to manually specify nameservers in resolv.conf than in the home router control panel (a NETGEAR DGN2200v3). See the #3 post.

Hi
I just installed arch and I need to downgrade to xorg 1.12 to be able to use catalyst proprietary driver (legacy).
As I read into the wiki, I added the two required repos:

[catalyst-hd234k]
Server = http://catalyst.wirephire.com/repo/catalyst-hd234k/$arch
[xorg112]
Server = http://catalyst.wirephire.com/repo/xorg112/$arch

when I try to do an update, I get "database file does not exist".
In logs appears a curl error 28, timeout error, but the repository is online (I can ping it and I can browse its contents with firefox).
What can I do?

sudo LANG=C pacman -Syy
warning: database file for 'xorg112' does not exist
warning: database file for 'catalyst-hd234k' does not exist
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg112.db' from catalyst.wirephire.com : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed to update xorg112 (download library error)
error: failed retrieving file 'catalyst-hd234k.db' from catalyst.wirephire.com : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed to update catalyst-hd234k (download library error)
 core                     105.0 KiB   122K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 extra                   1412.9 KiB   418K/s 00:03 [######################] 100%
 community               1929.7 KiB   447K/s 00:04 [######################] 100%
 multilib                  95.7 KiB   115K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%

Last edited by yell! (2013-03-10 14:16:22)

Offline

#2 2013-03-10 09:46:20

Raynman
Member
Registered: 2011-10-22
Posts: 1,155

Re: [SOLVED] error: Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds

You just added those repos, so the database files don't exist on your system until the -Syy operation is complete. That's nothing to worry about, it's just a helpful message in case you forget the -y switch. The problem is 'resolving timed out'. So you can try again, try another XferCommand in pacman.conf or search for similar problems+solutions.

In future, when you want to post error messages, prepend the command with LANG=C to get English output.

Offline

#3 2013-03-10 14:12:17

yell!
Member
Registered: 2011-05-16
Posts: 48

Re: [SOLVED] error: Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds

thanks for replying. I edited the first post.

Solved:
After a lot of hours trying wget, aria2 and curl, with a lot of options, I just stopped observing pacman output behaviour in the console.
Seemed that it was a DNS lookup problem but, in my resolv.conf, the specified nameserver was my home router.
Anyway, I changed that specifying google's nameservers; is working now. It's a weird thing because in my homerouter I was already using google's nameservers. 
Now I can open the repos in browser without lag.

Example of my resolv.conf:
Before:

# home router nameserver             
nameserver 192.168.0.1

After:

#Google nameservers
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4 

Last edited by yell! (2013-03-10 14:16:38)

Offline

#4 2013-04-05 12:38:38

aeqwa
Member
From: Germany, Wuppertal
Registered: 2013-04-04
Posts: 6

Re: [SOLVED] error: Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds

yell! wrote:

thanks for replying. I edited the first post.

Solved:
After a lot of hours trying wget, aria2 and curl, with a lot of options, I just stopped observing pacman output behaviour in the console.
Seemed that it was a DNS lookup problem but, in my resolv.conf, the specified nameserver was my home router.
Anyway, I changed that specifying google's nameservers; is working now. It's a weird thing because in my homerouter I was already using google's nameservers. 
Now I can open the repos in browser without lag.

Example of my resolv.conf:
Before:

# home router nameserver             
nameserver 192.168.0.1

After:

#Google nameservers
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4 

Thanks you help me so much love you smile


i3wm / urxvt / luakit

Offline

#5 2016-02-03 08:26:48

hypothetical
Member
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 6

Re: [SOLVED] error: Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds

yell! wrote:

thanks for replying. I edited the first post.

Solved:
After a lot of hours trying wget, aria2 and curl, with a lot of options, I just stopped observing pacman output behaviour in the console.
Seemed that it was a DNS lookup problem but, in my resolv.conf, the specified nameserver was my home router.
Anyway, I changed that specifying google's nameservers; is working now. It's a weird thing because in my homerouter I was already using google's nameservers. 
Now I can open the repos in browser without lag.

Example of my resolv.conf:
Before:

# home router nameserver             
nameserver 192.168.0.1

After:

#Google nameservers
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4 

Thanks a lot!! Still works smile

Offline

#6 2016-02-03 08:30:54

x33a
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 3,554
Website

Re: [SOLVED] error: Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds

@hypothetical,

Please don't bump old threads.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … bumping.22

Closing.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB