You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-06 14:04:08

bergqvistjl

How can I map remote presses to keyboard commands WITOUT using LIRC?

Hi, i'm tearing my hair out here, and I'm really starting from scratch here now I guess.

I have a media centre USB remote, that I would like to map (using evdev, as I gather you can do that now) each button press to a single letter on the keyboard, so that when I press the Play button on my remote, it's as though I typed the letter P on the keyboard.

I've been told not to use LIRC as it's now possible to do this within Xorg, but I have literally no clue how to do this, and the internet has not been helpful so far. I'll start off by giving you  the output of ir-keytable. The remote I want to control is on RC1, and I can't get rid of the device on RC0, as that's my tuner card, unfortuantly:

Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event10) with:
        Driver saa716x, table rc-tbs-nec
        Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC other
        Enabled protocols:
        Name: saa716x IR (TurboSight TBS 6284)
        bus: 1, vendor/product: 6284:0001, version: 0x0001
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event14) with:
        Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
        Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC other
        Enabled protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC other
        Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
        bus: 3, vendor/product: 0471:0815, version: 0x0000
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

Please help! I've been tearing my hair out here...

Last edited by bergqvistjl (2013-04-06 14:04:33)

#2 2013-04-06 14:38:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: How can I map remote presses to keyboard commands WITOUT using LIRC?

Where did you here you could do this with just xlib?  Have you verified this with xev?

EDIT: I'm not claiming it can't be done with xlib - I hope it can, as if it can be I'll start tinkering with this too.  I'm just curious whether this was a good source and whether xev receives the events.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-04-06 14:39:17)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-04-06 14:51:02

bergqvistjl

Re: How can I map remote presses to keyboard commands WITOUT using LIRC?

Trilby wrote:

Where did you here you could do this with just xlib?  Have you verified this with xev?

EDIT: I'm not claiming it can't be done with xlib - I hope it can, as if it can be I'll start tinkering with this too.  I'm just curious whether this was a good source and whether xev receives the events.

Well look at ir-keytable....

Anyway first off, I want to either disable the current device that's at rc0, or move it away so that my usb remote goes onto rc0, can anyone help?

Board footer