You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-07 00:09:07

bergqvistjl

Is it possible to set up a binary repository for mythtv-fixes?

Hi, please correct me if I'm wrong in any of my following assumptions.

Currently, if we want to get the latest 'fixes' branch of mythtv, we have to install (and compile) mythtv-git from AUR everytime there's an update. In other distros like Ubuntu however, the fixes versions are (I believe) pre-compiled daily from git, and pushed out in binary form for users to update via the mythbubtu-repos repository. Is it possible (in theory) for us to do a similar sort of thing for linux, maybe through a additional/custom pacman repository? I'd be interested to get people's thoughts on this.

#2 2013-04-07 00:10:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Is it possible to set up a binary repository for mythtv-fixes?

It's more than possible, and more than in theory.

All it takes is for someone to provide server space and someone to recompile packages as needed.  There is a good wiki page on custom repositories.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-04-07 00:11:08)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-04-07 00:20:38

bergqvistjl

Trilby wrote:

It's more than possible, and more than in theory.

All it takes is for someone to provide server space and someone to recompile packages as needed.  There is a good wiki page on custom repositories.

Would it be able to "take-over" and handle updates from the regular mythtv packages in the normal repositories? I know the version number is newer in the fixes branch. I'll have a look and see who maintains the Mythbuntu fixes repository, and see if they can help. i don't know that much about it all to be honest, it was just an idea that came into my head.

#4 2013-04-07 00:25:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you set up a custom repository, you could use the same version numbers and simply list the custom repository first in pacman.conf.  But you can also use modified package names - which to me seems a little cleaner.

If you can make PKGBUILDs to make the modified version, the only other real piece of the puzzle is someone/somewhere to host the binaries.

There are many examples of each approach that can be found through the wiki.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2013-04-07 11:54:01

bergqvistjl

I'd say it took me an hour to compile MythTV, the plugins, and mythweb from GIT on my humble i3 2100 machine. I don't think it should be too difficult. If we build the fixes binaries with the same arguments as what is used to build the regular mythtv, plugins and mythweb packages in extra, then I don't think it should be particularly complex.

Board footer