(before upgrade, the usb key icon appears) and fstab is not updated with the
device configuration...

hal bug ?

Thanks.

#2 2005-11-17 13:45:04

kth5
Website

Re: DBUS & HAL

it's not a bug, it's a feature. JGC has been working on it to not run as the superuser any longer, that means i can't possibly write to fstab anymore. properly written hal applications should be able to still figure it out though.

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#3 2005-11-17 14:45:51

L0cutus

kth5 wrote:

it's not a bug, it's a feature. JGC has been working on it to not run as the superuser any longer, that means i can't possibly write to fstab anymore. properly written hal applications should be able to still figure it out though.

so no way to make it work as before ?
(with the right permissions)

#4 2005-11-17 18:32:15

kth5
Website

to get it to work like before a downgrade would be the only way right now, as it seems. maybe asking JGC on the ML would be a good idea, as he knows best what reasons are behind the changes. i'm not using hal not any autodetection mechanism, so i'm merely repeating what i heard from himself. wink

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#5 2005-11-18 00:00:58

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

It's better to keep as many applications as you can away from running as root.
Hal and dbus should be able to communicate to other applications  about hardware messages, thats their purpose. If an app can't communicate with it, the alternative is to use pmount.

pmount /dev/sda1 usbflash

will mount the device /dev/sda1 to /media/usbflash without any entries in fstab. To umount, use pumount usbflash.

#6 2005-11-27 21:29:55

vacant

I altered the command for Digikam to:

pmount /dev/sda1 camera && digikam -caption "%c" %i %m && pumount camera

So I just plug in my camera and click on Digikam. Once photos are downloaded I prefer to use Gwenview for browsing.

#7 2005-11-28 10:04:44

scarecrow

Isn't digikam aimed at cameras which support the PTP protocol?
For the USB_storage protocol it isn't needed at all, the camera appears as a removable drive right out of the box (at KDE desktop, at least).

Microshaft delenda est

#8 2005-11-28 11:32:22

vacant

I've got a Fuji Finepix A350 which can be set to normal or PTP (for pictbridge printers) USB mode. In PTP mode, Digicam will detect the camera but can't open it which I put down to not being supported in PTP mode by gphoto libs (A330 is supported but I guess different ID or something).

After setting the camera to normal usb mode, I manually added my camera as "USB Mass Storage" with a mount point of "/media/camera" in Digikam.

Back in September, before all the hal/dbus/fstab-sync "upgrades", my camera popped up when I plugged it in as "removable storage" in kicker's storage media applet which meant I got a "safely remove" option, so when I clicked that my camera LCD displayed "remove OK" - which was nice. Next it started appearing as a hard drive. Now I don't bother starting hal and dbus daemons but use pmount and pumount wrapped around the Digikam command.

Board footer