You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-24 17:22:18

Thinkpol
Website

etckeeper and pacman

I'm currently torn between using etckeeper and just plain old [insert dvcs of choice here... git/hg] to version /etc. I realize that etckeeper has some built in excludes and deals with permissions as well, but there are options for permissions management with git/hg and I'd like to keep-it-simple (and eliminate one more black box layer of version control), so I'm trying to determine if etckeeper is really value added on Arch.

The real question is whether etckeeper truly hooks into pacman 3 for autocommits on pacman installations/activity. From my research and tests, it doesn't.

Yet I keep coming across posts here in the forum and blog posts elsewhere that specifically state etckeeper does indeed hook into pacman on Archlinux (recent posts, so we're not talking ancient history and an older version of pacman).

Question: Can anyone confirm that they have etckeeper hooked into pacman automatically (not just a shell script wrapper)? To be clear, I mean that when you run pacman for install/removal/upgrade, it autocommits and those commits are viewable via your DVCS log command in /etc.

new arch*.org acct: altercation

#2 2011-11-16 19:53:04

nicoulaj

Re: etckeeper and pacman

I'm currently testing etckeeper too, and it does not seem to autocommit for me either. I have put the following in etckeeper.conf:

# The high-level package manager that's being used.
# (apt, pacman-g2, yum etc)
HIGHLEVEL_PACKAGE_MANAGER=yaourt

# The low-level package manager that's being used.
# (dpkg, rpm, pacman-g2, etc)
LOWLEVEL_PACKAGE_MANAGER=pacman

Has anyone managed to get it working ?

twitter | AUR | ohloh | IRC:nicoulaj

#3 2011-11-26 10:31:25

xiaq

pacman has no support for hooks, and won't get in the short run. That was one of the reasons that Frugalware developers forked pacman to create pacman-g2. IIRC etckeeper supports pacman-g2.

#4 2011-11-26 10:34:24

xiaq

But you can always write your own wrapper for pacman, adding support for etckeeper, ie. calling corresponding etckeeper scripts before actually performing transactions. That is an add-on approach, in contrast to the plug-in approach of hook mechanism that pacman-g2, apt etc. offer.

#5 2013-04-10 08:52:37

orschiro
Website

In the meantime are there any new solutions or maybe existing wrappers that better integrate etckeeper with pacman?

#6 2013-04-10 09:00:39

jasonwryan
Forum & Wiki Admin
Website

>1k posts and still necrobumping? Please don't...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Bumping.27

Closing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer