You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-10 07:18:31

greengold

UEFI entry disappeared

Hello everybody...
Im having some tough moments starting with yesterday's complete system update.

Thing is that when I woke up my notebook from a sleep it did not starts sa it should but after a while started capslock blinking instead. So I turned it off by long pressing power button.
Then the magic happend. ArchLinux partition completely disappeared fom UEFI. It means that I can NOT boot to Arch at all. Windows partition stayed untouched and its running (yes, sadly I have to have win installed because of photo editing)

Now Im 3 day to submit my diploma thesis, which I have unaccessible on my home partition.
Whole linux was located on SSD drive using BtrFs FS.

Can you tell me if this is some kind of update issue or if Im done with this HDD?
I did not tryed to access it from live system yet.

64bit arch@asus UX32VD

Thank you for ideas!

#2 2013-04-10 08:53:28

forumache

Re: UEFI entry disappeared

"ArchLinux partition completely disappeared from UEFI" - you might want to clarify this.
I guess you want to say that ArchLinux *entry* disappeared from UEFI.

From Windows you have access to UEFI partition (it's a FAT32 partition after all).
You could copy there UEFI Shell 2.0 (as indicated in the Arch Wiki).
Create a archlinux.nsh file there (also on Wiki).

Then, boot your computer, press ESC (adjust for you computer) choose Run UEFI application and select the UEFI Shell EFI application.
From there you should be able to type:
fs0:
archlinux.nsh

and Arch will be launched (provided you wrote correctly the file archlinux.nsh).

It happened to me once when I updated the BIOS, Arch UEFI Entry disappeared. Since then, I have UEFI Shell and archlinux.nsh ready on my UEFI partition.

Or if you need only your thesis, boot from the live disk, mount the Arch home partition and get your thesis.

#3 2013-04-10 08:59:41

greengold

Yes you're right, I ment entry...
Ok, I'll investigate later @home, until now, thanks for giving me a hand!

#4 2013-04-10 14:19:22

srs5694
Website

You can probably get your regular boot manager back from Windows with its bcdedit command (typed in an Administrator command prompt window), as in:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi

That example sets rEFInd, in its default location, to be the default boot program. You'd need to adjust it for whatever you're using, of course. If you're not sure what the exact filename is, try mounting the ESP by typing "mountvol S: /S", which mounts the ESP to the S: drive (an arbitrary choice; you could use something else if you prefer). You can then peruse that volume to see where your boot program is located.

#5 2013-04-10 15:58:57

greengold

I hist booted line Ubuntu 12.04 and gprated didn'd show me that partition. I guess disk failed.

#6 2013-04-11 22:43:32

cfr

It doesn't show you the disk?

Or it doesn't show you a partition on the disk?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer