You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-10 19:49:06

t1nk3r3r

Changing default behaviour of wiki edits marked as 'minor'.

I can't help but notice the substantial number of edits by new users in the wiki that are marked as 'minor' when they clearly aren't superficial.  If I recall, the default with a new user account is to mark as minor.  However, from my standpoint, most new users are more interested in adding content versus grammar checks.  And many obviously don't understand what it means, or otherwise overlook the feature.

Can someone change the default?  Other points of view?

--------------------------The only wasted day is one in which you learn nothing.--------------------------

#2 2013-04-10 20:06:11

jacobopantoja

Re: Changing default behaviour of wiki edits marked as 'minor'.

Mmmm... not sure. I normally don't check the history of the pages, unless I have some doubts about the correctness of the article. However, it is easy to locate major changes because the amount of characters changed is displayed IIRC.

#3 2013-04-10 20:57:04

t1nk3r3r

Then again, I don't know if anyone really relies on the 'minor' tag for searches, etc.  I suppose it's mostly an annoying aesthetic thing.  In that case, remove the feature entirely.

--------------------------The only wasted day is one in which you learn nothing.--------------------------

#4 2013-04-11 14:02:36

kynikos
Wiki Admin

Are you sure that edits are set to be marked as minor by default? I can't remember of course, and I don't consider creating a new user just to test that a valid option.
The responsible option is 'minordefault' in $wgDefaultUserOptions, but our LocalSettings.php is hidden since it contains the password for accessing the database, thus contacting Pierre is the only solution to check/fix this behaviour.

#5 2013-05-15 14:10:46

rainofchaos
Wiki Admin

If we change the default behavior, many actually major edits will become minor. Because many people do not even know what it means. So -1 from me.

#6 2013-05-16 10:16:11

kynikos
Wiki Admin

rainofchaos wrote:

If we change the default behavior, many actually major edits will become minor. Because many people do not even know what it means. So -1 from me.

My impression is that t1nk3r3r reported the opposite, i.e. that the current default is that edits are marked as minor, so I guess your vote would be +1, just like mine tongue However I repeat, I'm not sure if that's really the default behaviour...

#7 2013-05-19 07:17:52

jacobopantoja

The "minor" flag is useful for some watch options (e.g. you can select not to be mailed when minor changes occur on an article you're watching). For me, the "Mark all edits minor by default" is disabled (thus marking all changes "major" by default), and my account was created on 2012/11. I think that I never changed my defaults, but to be honest I am not 100% sure.

Could someone with a new user verify that?

BTW, I mostly share rainofchaos' opinion.

Board footer