You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-16 15:18:12

Nattydraddy

Accessibility and (Arch)linux

From slahdot:

"The strongest push-back against Massachusetts' effort to institute open, non-proprietary document formats has come from the accessibility community, who claim that Open-Source desktop software lags behind Windows.

Read on here: http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/korn/20051113

Ok, archlinux is not a desktop linux OS as many other distrobutions and is not for newbies to linux. But is it also not an OS for playing Doom on it in dark rooms.

In my opinion we should do something for the accessibility and usability of archlinux.  I mean, we can´t change gnome (usability below zero) and i don´t want GUIs instead of config scripts. But it´s hard to install and running archlinux if you are handicaped (or just don´t want to go mad). We should have some tools included in the distrobutions with that the accessibility of arch is a little bit better.

What´s your thoughts to it?

#2 2005-11-16 18:45:11

JGC
Developer

Re: Accessibility and (Arch)linux

GNOME is the only desktop with an accessibility framework that actually works, so I don't know where you got that usuability below zero from...

The only thing gnome is missing is a working screenreader, because gnome-speech comes without speech engines tongue

We even have dasher, the most useless app I've ever seen for input, at least, for my uses it's useless tongue

#3 2005-11-16 21:07:15

Nattydraddy

JGC wrote:

GNOME is the only desktop with an accessibility framework that actually works, so I don't know where you got that usuability below zero from...

Ok, for Accesability may Gnome be good and KDE4 will hopefully even better. I´m not an expert for acessabilty ´caue is just not my problem, but what i mean with "usuability below zero" is the possibility to actualy use a program. And every program mkaes its use in a different way.

If i want for example to safe my work if find the save command in the menu or in the toolbar, sometimes there are just icons in the toolbar and i have to guess, sometimes there stands some text underneath the icon sometimes besides....

And comes it to printing it´s get a nightmare. That why i prefer text tools instead of Gnome.  And KDE or Gnome is not the stuff for that archlinux is made. I like archlinux because its goal is to be simple. Not be bloated with a big Gnome or KDE environment, graphical configuration tools and everything accesable with your mouse. But I´m unhappy with finding and using the proper application for a specific task.

I wish from archlinux that it gives a good set of applications that can be used in a similar way. Installing archlinux, seeing what apps are there, learning the use of a program and can use other programs similar.

Something like ArchWM is a good tool for it. Although now it´s very basic, it´s goog to configure fvwm in a way thats not so confusing as in the original way.

#4 2005-11-16 22:50:45

Kern

fun {

Dear Mr <designer>,

we like your new Uberproduct, but find its both difficult and cumbersome for us as we both suffer from (physical incapacity/mental illness/WindowsDependency/Arsewipe Deficiency Syndrome) .

Would you please add/remove/amend/improve the following items, as it would suit us better
...<snip>
We understand that, as this is outside the remit of your design, it would have a dramatic effect on the performance of your product, and impinge on your own personal freetime, by increasing your workload.

But rather than find a product that suits us better, or work towards contributing a solution ourselves, we feel that we should ask you to amend yours as we feel unfairly discriminated against.

signed
A. Goodsuggestion

}nuf

Seriously tho, theres plenty of distro's around that specifically cater for disabilities / ease of use / multimedia / science / games / you-name-it.
Thats the beauty of linux. go find a distro that better suits your needs, and amend it to suit those needs better.

btw, im missing something here.

Is your request for Arch to cater (better) for :
people having trouble with non-proprietary document formats?
people with disabilities?
people afraid of installation induced dementia?
Desktop users, or those who think Arch isn't a suitable desktop environment?
the gaming community?
People who have difficulty with Setup in general?

and is the "we" in "we should do something" a statement of voluntary contribution from your good self or the "royal" we meaning "i'll suggest it, you can do it" ?

kind regards
kern

#5 2005-11-16 23:23:28

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I think the topic is a misnomer - Accessibility is for handicapped people, but asking for a better installer and better printing tools, that has nothing to do with being handicapped.

If you want to stick to accessibility, we'd be talking about speech-to-text engines and braille keyboard/displays, and not about being "unhappy with finding and using the proper application for a specific task."

#6 2005-11-28 19:56:27

Alexo

IMHO, everyone should find a distro that suits own needs and ends instead of wishing for a "one size fits all" distro. The effort one makes to choose and fiddle a distro only leads to a better understanding of linux and computing. I'm speaking from my own experience.

Cheers! 8)

Board footer