You are not logged in.

#426 2013-04-14 15:23:27

tommykr

Re: Alopex: a tiling tagging tabbed window manager with fur

Hi.
How focus floating window on keyboard ?
I use "focus follow mouse" but it isn't enough.

#427 2013-04-14 15:39:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Currently there are no keybindings for to focus floating windows.  I did just patch up one minor annoyance of having tiled and floating windows on the same view, but focusfollowmouse works fine here with floating windows.  Can you describe the problem?  What are the observed versus desired behaviors?

Last edited by Trilby (2013-04-14 23:35:51)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#428 2013-04-15 15:56:20

bgc1954

Trilby - thx for the new tagspace variable--I elected to set it to 0.  Just built ttwm this AM after seeing that you've added some features lately and of course my .ttwm_conf.h had no tagspace reference so it didn't build the first time.  I don't really use separate tags but do appreciate regaining the space to the left of my master title bar--kind of seemed like a waste of valuable space as it was, especially on my netbook.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#429 2013-04-15 16:23:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I set it to zero myself now too.  Originally I thought I'd need a more static region there - but the way things developed, the tab sizes get recalculated on every redraw anyways, so there really is no purpose in having a minimum tag space, unless one prefers the aesthetic of a master tab that doesn't change size when new tags are activated.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#430 2013-04-15 18:11:21

tommykr

Trilby wrote:

Currently there are no keybindings for to focus floating windows.  I did just patch up one minor annoyance of having tiled and floating windows on the same view, but focusfollowmouse works fine here with floating windows.  Can you describe the problem?  What are the observed versus desired behaviors?

Focus follow mouse works fine. "isn't enough" - I mean only, it's often I use only keyboard and I'm forced to take in hand a mouse. My english is poor.

#431 2013-04-15 19:05:45

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just added the ability to cycle through floating windows.

See the new default config for an example.  Any of the "window()" functions that take a next/prev argument can be used with a capitalized Next/Prev to indicate that floating windows should be included in the cycle.  I've only set up default bindings for cylcing the focus this way, but swaping windows should work the same.

Hopefully obviously, there is no "Alt" option as the 'alt' window only applies to tiled windows.

Please test and let me know how it works - there may likely be bugs, this was a quick patch.

#432 2013-04-17 02:12:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Tag icons are just about ready.  I'm doing some final testing and some cleanup of the code before pushing it to git.

I'd certainly be motivated to get through this faster if some artist would care to make some good tag icons (XPoint arrays as in icons.h).

These should ideally include 'terminal' and 'web', and if anyone is creative enough to think of relevant icons, I could use a 'stats' and a 'reference (eg jabref)' tag icon.

EDIT: for clarification, it will be entirely up to user configuration which icons are actually used or if any are used at all.  I'd just like a decent starting set to distribute with ttwm before this becomes an 'official' feature.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-04-17 02:14:11)

#433 2013-04-17 08:54:57

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

Tag icons are just about ready.  I'm doing some final testing and some cleanup of the code before pushing it to git.

I'd certainly be motivated to get through this faster if some artist would care to make some good tag icons (XPoint arrays as in icons.h).

These should ideally include 'terminal' and 'web', and if anyone is creative enough to think of relevant icons, I could use a 'stats' and a 'reference (eg jabref)' tag icon.

EDIT: for clarification, it will be entirely up to user configuration which icons are actually used or if any are used at all.  I'd just like a decent starting set to distribute with ttwm before this becomes an 'official' feature.

I can whip up a few tonight or tomorrow. But, I wonder, should these be added to the current icons.h, or will it be a separate file? (I think it would be cooler to have it as included in the icons.h so everything on the statusbar has access to them, but that might just be me).

I'll try and get started on them tonight.

All the best,

-HG

#434 2013-04-17 10:31:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Yes, they will need to be included in icons.h, or at least #included in icons.h as they will go in the same 'icons' array.

#435 2013-04-17 13:02:14

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Okay, I have a few mock-ups finished. Term, Internet/Web and Stats. I'm still contemplating what I would do for a references/citation icon.

I threw them in a couple pull requests on the git, so you can merge/suggest revision/reject at your leisure. (Sorry for having multiple pull requests and not just one with multiple patch-sets; I still need to work on my git-fu, clearly).

All the best,

-HG

#436 2013-04-17 14:01:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks, those look great.  I love the term one, and the stats is much better than what I could have thought up.

I also have no idea for a good icon for reference management.  If one does come up, I'm not sure I'd include it in the default set anyhow as I'm not sure how much of a part of most users regular "workflow" reference management is (though arch does seem to have a lot of academic users).

The web one is creative.  For web icons I often think of the Mozilla flavored globes (firefox/icecat/etc) even though I don't often use those browsers.  But I'm not sure how much one could intentionally mimic those without some sort of copyright/trademark issue.  I should check what kind of license their art is under.

#437 2013-04-17 14:23:44

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

Thanks, those look great.  I love the term one, and the stats is much better than what I could have thought up.

I also have no idea for a good icon for reference management.  If one does come up, I'm not sure I'd include it in the default set anyhow as I'm not sure how much of a part of most users regular "workflow" reference management is (though arch does seem to have a lot of academic users).

The web one is creative.  For web icons I often think of the Mozilla flavored globes (firefox/icecat/etc) even though I don't often use those browsers.  But I'm not sure how much one could intentionally mimic those without some sort of copyright/trademark issue.  I should check what kind of license their art is under.

I was initially contemplating a globe-type icon for the web, but I couldn't think of a way to make it recognizable as "web" with that style. And, I felt that it would have likely infringed on various copyrights if I had, as you suspected. I ended up with the one I submitted on the github, but, to be honest, I don't really think it looks quite right. Any suggestions?

I have an idea about the reference/citation icon, I'll start on it soon. I am glad you enjoy the stats icon though.

(The term icon is my favorite of the mock-ups as well tongue)

All the best,

-HG

#438 2013-04-17 14:37:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No suggestions for web ... I'm not much of an artist.

I did have some nice battery icons though which I've been using.  I forgot that I never added them to the defaults on git, and thinking I had, I just deleted my own ttwm_icons.h file, they may be lost for good as I don't quite remember how I did them.

#439 2013-04-17 14:59:13

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

No suggestions for web ... I'm not much of an artist.

I did have some nice battery icons though which I've been using.  I forgot that I never added them to the defaults on git, and thinking I had, I just deleted my own ttwm_icons.h file, they may be lost for good as I don't quite remember how I did them.

Mmm, you don't keep your dotfiles in a git repo? I'd recommend it so that these type of situations can be easily avoided smile Do you have screenshots? I might be able to recreate them if I have an idea of how you had them look.

All the best,

-HG

#440 2013-04-17 15:11:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Nope, if I had a screenshot I could just zoom in and get all the pixel data.

#441 2013-04-17 15:14:10

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

Nope, if I had a screenshot I could just zoom in and get all the pixel data.

Fair enough, can you describe it to me? At the very least, I might be able to make a replacement.

All the best,

-HG

#442 2013-04-17 16:08:48

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I think I have mostly reconstructed them.  I may have to tweak them a bit over time still.

I've replaced the pervious ones in the default set with these and they are up on github.

#443 2013-04-17 17:16:34

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

I think I have mostly reconstructed them.  I may have to tweak them a bit over time still.

I've replaced the pervious ones in the default set with these and they are up on github.

Oooh, those look cool. I'm looking into creating some circle battery icons soon, but we'll see if I get to it.

On an unrelated note, if you're still wanting name suggestions, how about ApexWM?

All the best,

-HG

#444 2013-04-17 18:18:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

HalosGhost wrote:

how about ApexWM?

Would that be inspired by the new default blue-scale theme?

Apex sounds a bit ... snooty.  But that does lead me to artic-inspired names which lead to Alopex (a previous genus name for the arctic fox).

Alopex is a good candidate name.  It's short, simple, and is conducive to good logos/mascots.  It seems to be used as an acronym for a machine learning language, but that's all caps as an acronym, and in a sufficiently different class of software that it should be fine.

EDIT: and the species name lends itself well to a good tagline to refer to slower WMs:
Alopex - don't be a lagopus

Last edited by Trilby (2013-04-17 18:28:33)

#445 2013-04-17 18:53:36

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

Would that be inspired by the new default blue-scale theme?

Actually, in truth, it was inspired by your aspiration to maintain a WM with the most functionality while maintaining an extremely minimalist codebase for the most productive work-flow. That is, to get the most bang for your buck.

Alopex is a good candidate name.  It's short, simple, and is conducive to good logos/mascots.

I like it! You'd have my vote.

As an update on the icons front, I added in a couple more generic icons (Documents and Music) for your consideration and made an edit for the web icon (I am not hopeful for the web icon though). Might I recommend that the "_icon" be removed from the icon names? It seems redundant. Also, on the subject of saving space, for me, it appears having an icon in the tag position leads to some extra space next to the icon before the next tag (it would appear to be about two pixels on the right more than it should be compared to just having a text label). Also, would it be possible to allow the tag label before the icon? That would allow for users to have tags named something like "1:{term icon}" which seems cleaner to me.

As for the citation/reference icon (if you feel that the Documents icon doesn't cut it), I've been contemplating trying to recreate a "double-dagger" which is used for footnotes. Thoughts?

As a side-note, I also updated the wiki-page quite a bit to reflect window rules and tag icons.

All the best,

-HG

#446 2013-04-17 19:27:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I added the option for strings before the icons.  This requires yet another config.h change.

I'll check out those new icons.

EDIT: and for the names, I'd like to keep the _icon suffix.  It bears no real cost as the names are lost when compiled anyway and they should not need to be entered anywhere.  They help because the icons are defined in a global namespace.  I don't know that there would be name collisions without the suffix, but as users add more icons, the suffix assures there will be no naming issues.

I suppose I could also get around this by defining all the icons in a separate module ... I'll have to think on that.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-04-17 19:30:51)

#447 2013-04-17 19:30:46

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

I added the option for strings before the icons.  This requires yet another config.h change.

Awesome! Thank you!

All the best,

-HG

#448 2013-04-17 19:35:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Whoa, the docs and music look great.  The docs icon should work well for my reference manager tag.

#449 2013-04-17 19:37:37

Unia
Website

You guys are making me curious! Can I perhaps see a screenshot of those icons?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#450 2013-04-17 19:38:17

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

Whoa, the docs and music look great.  The docs icon should work well for my reference manager tag.

Haha, I'm glad you like them.

All the best,

-HG

Board footer