You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-02 04:07:06

anadon

Arch installation image::when will support for F2FS be added

I'm just curious about when the installation medium will support F2FS.  I know from an installation that functionality can be installed, but my situation makes that problematic.

#2 2013-04-02 04:22:55

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Arch installation image::when will support for F2FS be added

The f2fs tools aren't even in the main repos, so it's not going to happen until a dev takes an interest in it and moves them.

#3 2013-04-02 04:30:09

WonderWoofy

I don't know about the March live media's kernel, but the current kernel has the module at least.

#4 2013-04-06 02:48:53

zhenlw

I just did a f2fs installation with April.1 official live media + f2fs tools from AUR built on my previous installation. I guess a customized archboot may do it too?

What I did was to 1) install the precompiled AUR pkg during installation, 2) mkfs.f2fs for rootfs + mkfs.ext2 for boot, 3) modprobed "f2fs" before mounting rootfs,  4) put "f2fs" in mkinitcpio.conf's module list before mkinitcpio---actually I failed to do the last step and was dropped to the emergency shell several times, but it can be overcome by manually mounting rootfs to new_root.

Currently it runs well. But I do get some errors displayed about fsck during bootup: not sure if it's the f2fs or ext2 partition, because it is too quick. Anyone know how to check/fix that? Thanks.

#5 2013-04-17 19:36:39

pkoretic

Just to help even more than the above post which is really helpful.
Quick HOW-TO install arch on f2fs filesystem with latest April.1 official live media.

Install f2fs-tools from aur, format root partition, format boot partition, modprobe f2fs before mounting and chrooting, add f2fs in modules list in mkinitcpio.conf on installed system.

This is one of the many ways:
(follow arch official installation guide)
create you partitions - you need to create boot partition!

(Before chrooting)

Add repo which contains yaourt to /etc/pacman.conf

[heftig]
SigLevel = PackageOptional
Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~heftig/repo/$arch

Install required dependencies (maybe I've missed some) and yaourt

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -S autoconf automake make gcc binutils yaourt

Install f2fs-tools finally

yaourt -S f2fs-tools

Load kernel  module

modprobe f2fs

(in case your root partition is /dev/sda1 and boot partition is /dev/sda2)
create root partition as f2fs filesystem

mkfs.f2fs /dev/sda1

and boot partition as ext4 (or whatever you want)

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2

mount, install and chroot as per official installation guide
add f2fs to modules section (should be empty) in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
remove fsck from hooks section (since f2fs doesn't have fsck yet)
re-generate the initramfs image

mkinitcpio -p linux

after you're done with everything, reboot and voila, there you have it.

Here are some benchmarks for those interested
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a … 9_fs&num=1

Everything is very fast but I can't compare my view of performance to other filesystems since this is my first SSD.

Last edited by pkoretic (2013-04-17 19:38:03)

#6 2013-04-17 20:43:47

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

pkoretic wrote:

Other than that, this should be a wiki page...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2013-04-18 04:59:08

WonderWoofy

zhenlw wrote:

Currently it runs well. But I do get some errors displayed about fsck during bootup: not sure if it's the f2fs or ext2 partition, because it is too quick. Anyone know how to check/fix that? Thanks.

Think of it this way.  The fsck hook exists because it is checking the rootfs before having it mounted.  The other partitions are checked by systemd during the boot process.  This is because although the rootfs can be checked after the initramfs if mounted ro, if errors are found a reboot is required.  So it makes sense to check the other filesystems/mount points, but the rootfs should be done from the initramfs.

Therefore, the error is because there is no f2fs fsck binary.  As the initramfs should not be trying to check your ext2 /boot anyway, asn this will be done by systemd.  You can probably safely take the fsck hook out of mkinitcpio.conf, as it will not do anything until/unless a fsck is released for f2fs.

This is the same for btrfs, as the btrfsck is not meant to be run regularly like other filesystems, and would produce a nearly identical error if the fsck hook is present with a btrfs root.

Edit:

jasonwryan wrote:
pkoretic wrote:

Other than that, this should be a wiki page...

I did enjoy you blog post about this.  I never used yaourt when I started with Arch, picking packer instead (at random).  But this required me to actually learn how to use makepkg to get it installed, and it didn't take vary long for me to discover cower (and meat for when I am lazy).

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-04-18 05:01:19)

#8 2013-04-18 06:38:21

pkoretic

This was just (supposed to be) an easy example, of course those who know and want, will do It manually, the same as I did it my first, second, third and fourth time.
I've put some simple steps to the wiki - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/F2fs
Hopefully somebody will improve it, I always find it unnatural when writing something on wiki.

Board footer