You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-18 06:41:06

dlin

Suggestion about makepkg to accept new cpu arch in PKGBUILD?

After some experiences on Debian. (That distribution support multiple archs)

I've modified many build script in sh4 CPU.
But I guess maybe Arch Linux don't welcome added these modification.
I've two idea about to let Arch Linux PKGBUILD more useful.

Method 1: let makepkg support PKGBUILD.<arch>
For those only 'arch' line different PKGBUILD, we don't allow people to upload to arch source.
For those specific CPU (eg. armv5, armv7, sh4, ...), we can upload PKGBUILD.<arch> and <name>-<issue>.patch.<arch>
If the makepkg found there exist newer PKGBUILD, it show 'Warn: version different to PKGBUILD", and  still use PKGBUILD.<arch> to build.

Method 2:  only keep one PKGBUILD and accept modification in specific situation.
For those only 'arch' line different PKGBUILD, we don't allow people to upload the patch.

Last edited by dlin (2013-04-18 06:43:41)

Running 4 ArchLinux including sh4twbox,server,notebook,desktop. my AUR packages

#2 2013-04-18 06:54:48

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Suggestion about makepkg to accept new cpu arch in PKGBUILD?

This doesn't make any sense to me. If you manage to compile Arch for a different architecture, you do not need these changes to have PKGBUILDs work fine for your new architecture (all you need to do is know that it will compile correctly for the new architecture, and make any necessary modifications for the PKGBUILD.

Maybe Arch will support more architectures in the future, but there are very few that are likely to be considered for addition I think (namely ARM).

All the best,

-HG

#3 2013-04-18 07:09:16

dlin

I guess the world is changing to arm's world.  Maybe it's time to accept more cpu arch.  The benefit of use the same PKGBUILD source repository will let developers work together, and get notice if the main arch linux version have newer package update.  (I wish some pkgbuild which suitable for Raspaberry pi could merge into major repository.)

#4 2013-04-18 07:19:58

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Again, I do not feel that this is in any way relevant. What you want can already be achieved without needing upstream changes (with the exception of having binary packages in the official repos).

All the best,

-HG

#5 2013-04-18 08:20:33

Awebb

Last time this topic came up, the answer was, that it is not forbidden to upload a PKGBUILD to the AUR, that has additional platforms supported. In addition, nothing is easier than writing a small script that replaces the arch line. One PKGBUILD for everyone is enough. Just make sure it builds on all the platforms you are going to support.

#6 2013-04-18 08:31:35

dlin

>that it is not forbidden to upload a PKGBUILD to the AUR

I'm not agree it.  In most case, the same name package has already exist there, and the owner may not with to merge different arch, because they don't have such machine to test it.  And more I wish to upload the main stream especially about the 'base/base-devel' packages.

#7 2013-04-18 17:43:47

karol
Archivist

dlin wrote:

And more I wish to upload the main stream especially about the 'base/base-devel' packages.

For now, I think you should use Arch Linux ARM http://archlinuxarm.org/

#8 2013-04-20 08:35:23

Awebb

Please quote all the relevant parts of what people say next time. If all your issues here could be resolved by effectively communicating with the current maintainer of a package, then I do not see, why complicating the mechanism should be a good idea.

Board footer