You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-18 05:46:50

dlin

How about to support like BT protocol for download on pacman?

I'm trying to build sh4 CPU Arch Linux repository.
But, because there only a few people, so I wish we could use bittorrent protocol to share our build packages.
So, is it possible to let pacman suppport the BT protocol for download packages?

Running 4 ArchLinux including sh4twbox,server,notebook,desktop. my AUR packages

#2 2013-04-18 05:54:52

WonderWoofy

Re: How about to support like BT protocol for download on pacman?

Pacman has the ability to use whatever download mechanism you wish.  But the problem would be that no one is sharing packages in this fashion, so it would do you absolutely no good to set pacman up to do this.

#3 2013-04-18 06:17:03

Allan
Pacman
Website

No.

The majority of packages are quite small, so this would likely slow down you download anyway.

#4 2013-04-18 06:31:02

dlin

I think maybe aria2 could setup as download agent (like wget/curl).
But, I don't know how to let aria2 get the seed proper.

Maybe I should put all the package files and the file's separate bt seed and major index together on my major bandwidth limited http server.
And a script to download the bt seed at first, then download from the bt network and original bandwidth limited http site.
Then, pacman.conf setup the script as download agent.

#5 2013-04-18 15:08:24

WonderWoofy

If it is only a few people, and presumably still not too too many packages, why not just use one of those free "cloud" storage systems.  For instance, from time to time, I see things in the AUR hosted on dropbox.  Typically these are things that are created by the package maintainer.  But I was able to get a free 50GB box.net account.  If it really is just a few people, I would imagine that might be a suitable stopgap measure for sharing packages until you can figure out something more proper.

#6 2013-04-18 15:16:40

ewaller
Administrator

WonderWoofy wrote:

If it is only a few people, and presumably still not too too many packages, why not just use one of those free "cloud" storage systems.  For instance, from time to time, I see things in the AUR hosted on dropbox.  Typically these are things that are created by the package maintainer.  But I was able to get a free 50GB box.net account.  If it really is just a few people, I would imagine that might be a suitable stopgap measure for sharing packages until you can figure out something more proper.

Or GitHub, or BitBucket

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2013-04-18 15:18:58

dlin

Thanks your suggestion, I'm not sure box.net is suitable for something like http:// to download. And I don't know will it over bandwidth. I've ever use dropbox, but it often banned by over band width.

#8 2013-04-18 15:20:25

dlin

ewaller wrote:
WonderWoofy wrote:

Or GitHub, or BitBucket

There are about 400 MB, it is not source PKGBUILD, those files are packages.

#9 2013-04-18 16:21:58

WonderWoofy

dlin wrote:

<snip>
There are about 400 MB, it is not source PKGBUILD, those files are packages.

This is why I did not suggest github or bitbucket.  As I know that they tend to handle source files much better.

I have no idea about bandwidth limitations on those services.  But I do know that you can make a given directory (or many directories) public, making a kind of repository.  If it really is as you say, and only a small handful of people would need access, I don't see how this would pose too much of a problem.  I think if several of you made accounts, and then each "hosted" a different portion of the packages, it might be able to hold you over until something better can be figured out.  I would imagine that a few 50GB accounts, and it would be plenty.  To get a 50GB box.net account though, you will have to do some hunting around the internets.  I know that it was being offered as a promotional Dell thing a while back, but was actually open to anyone.  There have been various other promotional 50GB things as well on box.net.  They are not all that uncommon. Also, I think if you find someone with one, they can invite you and have you get a 50GB account as well.  So if you can get one, you could potentially keep passing the invites along to make a decent "repo".

#10 2013-04-19 13:56:32

Lone_Wolf

I've got a standard free 5 GB account with box.com (they switched from box.net to box.com a while ago) .

Bandwidth limit is 10 Gb per month, max file size is 250 Mb .

downloadlinks look like this : https://www.box.com/s/2wrub1m2pqy939c4uuuu

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer