You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-28 14:55:14

kozaki
Website

mirrorring Arch's repos from nearest, not archlinux.org

So far I've followed Local Mirror wiki howto with success from archlinux.org repo --> for 4 machines running Arch
Now this number is about to grow to 9 PCs with Arch on them big_smile . & I'd like to reduce the stress from main archlinux.org repo, as we're located in France.
I've looked on Arch mirrors page to find the nearest mirrors.

My problem is that whenever I replace archlinux.org on 'sync.sh' with repos in France, Belgium, UK, Germany or Netherland, it simply doesn't work :
$ sh /media/ddusb8/mirrors/archilinux.sync.sh

#> rsync: getaddrinfo: rsync.archlinux.antesis.org 873: Name or service not known
#> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(98)

Same occurs with ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr, ftp.belnet.be, etc.
I've tried like this, which may *not* be the way to do :

rsync -avz --delete rsync.ftp.nluug.nl::current /media/ddusb8/mirrors/archlinux/current/
rsync -avz --delete rsync.ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr::ftp/tur /media/ddusb8/mirrors/archlinux

Actually I still have to try with this syntax :

#rsync -avz --delete rsync.ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr::ftp/current/os/i686/ /media/ddusb8/mirrors/archlinux/current/os/i686

I'll try ASAP, as I'm mirrorring right now (from main repo in US sad ) because one of the computer has no internet connection but needs the 2.6.14 kernel

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

#2 2005-11-28 16:54:52

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: mirrorring Arch's repos from nearest, not archlinux.org

Errr...well, it might be that you can't mirror the mirrors that easily.  The main site isn't a mirror so you can mirror that ok but maybe it's different for mirroring actual mirrors ><

#3 2005-11-28 21:04:54

kozaki
Website

"one can't mirror the mirrors that easily"
Well, i guess there might be a way to do so...
After reading what dibble said, I must admit that I launched the rest of the mirroring (community & testing for the moment) from archlinux.org.

But I'll check here again & whenever someone knows how to mirror "locally", I'll shift to it

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

#4 2005-11-30 19:46:25

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Your problems could be due to the different directory structure of the servers.

Archlinux.org has everything under the root folder :
ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/

belnet.be for example puts archlinux in this folder :

ftp://ftp.belnet.be/linux/archlinux
(don't use belnet, it's very slow with updating after changes)

http://archlinux.antesis.org/ is very different from archlinux.org structure and doesn't use ftp.

heanet.ie uses this :
Index of ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.archlinux.org

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer