You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-19 18:58:05

otherbob

Installing arch without usb or cd

Hey all,

I'm trying to install arch using only my hd, is this possible?

So far I made a small partition, put the install media on there using dd and tried to boot it using grub(v2).
I however, don't know anything about grub, and I didn't get it to boot, so how do I go about this?

Thanks a lot for your time!

#2 2013-04-19 20:54:19

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Installing arch without usb or cd

In answer to the thread title (without regards to your post) Two techniques come to mind.  Remove the drive, put it on another system, install Arch to the drive on that other system, and move the drive back.  The other solution is to use a PXE environment (assuming your system can boot from a network), and set up a DHCP server and a TFTP server on another computer and boot as a thin client.

With regards to your post, how did you get grub and the iso image on to the drive without a usb or cd?  Does grub come up at all? Or does the BIOS carp about not having a boot media?  Is it a  BIOS machine or EFI?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-04-19 22:29:26

DSpider

If you have GRUB 2 installed, then maybe this will help:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … From_GRUB2

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2013-04-19 23:03:06

nomorewindows

ewaller wrote:

The other solution is to use a PXE environment (assuming your system can boot from a network), and set up a DHCP server and a TFTP server on another computer and boot as a thin client.

Darn, you beat me to it.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#5 2013-04-20 09:29:56

otherbob

Sorry, yea I have grub 2 installed, so thanks a lot for that suggestion, otherwise the network boot seems like it would work, I think I should be able to figure this out now, thanks a lot!

Board footer