You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-28 19:40:23

phi

Kernel and PTYs

I have a problem with PTYs. Because i use a custom build of 2.6.10 kernel, i suppose I've configured something badly. For example: "screen" refuses working, and prints "No more PTYs. Sorry, could not find a PTY". xterm and all other X consoles also don't work.
I've tried to enable Device Drivers->Character Devices->Legacy (BSD) PTY support, but it still doesn't work.

Should I enable PTY support somewhere else, or do I need to enable some additional features?

#2 2005-09-28 22:04:48

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Kernel and PTYs

you have to mount.... ummm "ptys" or something like that via fstab... I don't have a reference on me right now, but if someone can post the output of "grep pty /etc/fstab" that'd be great.

#3 2005-09-28 23:34:56

glib

phrakture wrote:

you have to mount.... ummm "ptys" or something like that via fstab... I don't have a reference on me right now, but if someone can post the output of "grep pty /etc/fstab" that'd be great.

I assume you mean this line:

none                    /dev/pts        devpts          defaults                0       0

#4 2005-09-28 23:38:46

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

glib wrote:
phrakture wrote:

I assume you mean this line:

none                    /dev/pts        devpts          defaults                0       0

you win this one, heh

#5 2005-09-29 00:35:13

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

skeletor is bested. he returns to his secret hideout to rest.

ps. Did 'man at arms' and 'orko' have a secret thing going?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2005-09-29 08:48:50

phi

phrakture wrote:

Thanks a lot. It works smile

#7 2005-10-20 18:47:10

Pappa

I have a similar problem:

jo:~$ aterm
aterm: can't open pseudo-tty
aterm: aborting
jo:~$ mrxvt
mrxvt: can't open pseudo-tty
jo:~$ urxvt
urxvt: can't initialize pseudo-tty, aborting.
jo:~$ gnome-terminal 
<gives popup: "A problem occured when trying to open a subprocess for this terminal.">

jo:~$ 

None work. Xterm and screen both work, though.

From /etc/fstab:

# Lots of crap here
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
# ...

Now i wouldn't be complaining too much about this if vim didn't suck so much in xterm. Something is really wrong.

#8 2005-12-01 04:09:47

BigBadPenguin

Bleurgh, you're very right about vim in xterm.
I had a similar problem (it started when I went to runlevel 1 and back) and fixed it by running

#mount /dev/pts

manually. Suddenly aterm, terminal, xterm, mlterm and screen all started working (I know, pacman -R is sadly underused), and /dev/pts started being populated.
Gnome-terminal required a gnome restart though.

Board footer