You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-20 10:09:09

mshuk

[Solved] catfish just spins

Just installed Arch and liking it lots. Love the speed and flexibility. I'm running XFCE with LXDM.

I have installed catfish but when I try to search in catfish, it just spins (without providing any search results) until I shut it down. mlocate is installed and I have run sudo updatedb. Not sure were I'm going wrong.

Thanks.

mshuk

Last edited by mshuk (2013-04-22 21:06:07)

#2 2013-04-21 18:49:51

crazyg4merz

Re: [Solved] catfish just spins

Happens to me also, hope someone can help. The optional deps shows locate but when I tried to install it using pacman that package doesn't even exist.

#3 2013-04-21 20:15:42

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Welcome to Arch, mshuk.

How are you starting catfish? Try running it from a terminal (type "catfish" at a terminal command prompt) to see if it is throwing any errors.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#4 2013-04-22 09:20:36

mshuk

Thanks for replies.

2ManyDogs, I was using the catfish gui. When I run from terminal I just get the following:

(catfish.py:561): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:2:16: Theming engine 'adwaita' not found

crazyg4merz, Yes, I also noticed when I installed catfish the optional deps indicate that locate is not installed, just findutils.

Optional dependencies for catfish
    zeitgeist: Zeitgeist integration
    findutils: filename search [installed]
    locate: filename search
    tracker: fulltext search
    strigi: fulltext search
    pinot: fulltext search

I had installed mlocate as archwiki locate (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locate) says :

"Although in other distros locate and updatedb are in the findutils package, they are no longer present in Arch's package. To use it, install the mlocate package. mlocate is a newer implementation of the tool, but is used in exactly the same way."

locate runs fine from the terminal.

#5 2013-04-22 16:38:43

crazyg4merz

That one I know, but now I've found mine working again. The problem was the locale of mine, it was set to POSIX rather than en_US. Let's see if your problem is the same as mine, please run catfish from terminal, and then do searching with it. If there are errors in locale like:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/catfish/catfish/CatfishWindow.py", line 1128, in perform_query
    self.statusbar.set_label( _("Searching\u2026") )
UnicodeDecodeError: 'locale' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 9: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character

Then please try typing in your terminal

locale

If your locale is shown in strange format (mine was POSIX), then you have the same problem as me. Just edit your ~/.bashrc (mine is ~/.zshrc because I use zsh as my default shell) and add a line to export the language variable to your preferred language, let's assume you want to make it US English:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Logout and log back in or just do a reboot. Hope this can fix your problem smile

#6 2013-04-22 21:01:52

mshuk

Exact same output, added export LANG=en_G.B.UTF-8 to my ~/.bashrc, rebooted and catfish works!

Many thanks crazyg4merz : D

*marking as solved*

Last edited by mshuk (2013-04-22 21:10:39)

Board footer