You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-22 19:22:48

orschiro
Website

[solved] Gnome 3.8 compatibility with extensions

Hi,

I was running quite a few extensions which worked out great for Gnome 3.6. However, most of the extenions are not compatible with 3.8 yet. What is involved to make them compatible?

Is it just a line to change 3.6 to 3.8 within the extension or does it require more than that?

List of incompatible extensions that I would like to use:

- Alternative status menu
- Battery remaining time and percentage
- Places menu
- Recent items
- Remove accessibility
- Topicons
- User themes
- Window list
- Windows alt tab

Last edited by orschiro (2013-04-23 05:15:07)

#2 2013-04-22 19:26:38

DracoAdvigilat

Re: [solved] Gnome 3.8 compatibility with extensions

It can be hit or miss in my experience with past upgrades. Sometimes the code is compatible, but other times it breaks... I would say give it a try and see what happens, so long as you know how to disable them if something crashes.

#3 2013-04-22 19:35:48

FrankCastle

there is a metadata file for each extension that you can add 3.8 to to make most work.

#4 2013-04-22 20:12:27

isacdaavid
Website

Keep calm buddy.
-Alternative Status Menu is compatible with 3.8
-Places menu also is
-As well as Topicons
-and User Themes, Windows List.
I guess you know you need to click the green icon in each page in order to upgrade, don't you?

Are you using extensions.gnome.org or the AUR?

For the rest, try adding "3.8" in their respective metadata.json file as suggested above. As I told you yesterday, extensions are normally installed under /home/~/.local/gnome-shell/extensions, where ~ is your home folder. Many of them might be perfectly compatible with gnome 3.8, but metadata.json will lock them unless you modify the "shell-version" section. This doesn't guarantee you can force them to work with gnome shell 3.8; nonetheless, in my experience most extensions are updated within the next couple months after Gnome is released.

#5 2013-04-22 21:05:49

donniezazen
Website

Try the manual instructions if available. Sensors wouldn't install for me from Gnome Extension but manual instructions worked.

https://github.com/xtranophilist/gnome- … on-sensors

#6 2013-04-23 05:14:53

orschiro
Website

I guess you know you need to click the green icon in each page in order to upgrade, don't you?

That is it! Thanks. I did not know to update them through the extension page. And indeed some extensions were already made compatible.

The only one's missing for now are:

- Window list
- Windows Alt Tab
- Battery remaining time and percentage
- Recent items
- Remove accessibility

As you said, they may be updated soon which means I will just wait instead of breaking something.

#7 2013-04-23 05:35:19

donniezazen
Website

Accessibility is already removed in Gnome 3.8. Also gnome-shell-extensions package has plenty of working extensions, so I believe.

#8 2013-04-23 06:25:32

isacdaavid
Website

I'm glad to hear you successfully updated some of them. The extensions page looks neat and works really well, I think this Firefox-addons-like approach has been one of the best things in Gnome 3, it makes extensions even better than all the customizability options that Gnome 2 had IMO.

I asked whether you were using extensions.gnome.org or the Arch User Repository because (just as historical background) there was a time when the AUR plus some official Arch packages were used to host and install all the available gnome shell extensions, unless you wanted to retrieve one by one from the Internet, but this was discouraged when extensions.gnome.org came into existence. Automatic updates has also been suggested for future gnome releases, so people won't even have to re-visit the site.

I don't want to be rude, but I really think you should try changing the outdated metadata.json's as explained in our wiki. The process is straightforward, fast and almost mechanical; and you won't break a thing. If it doesn't work for one extension you can always revert changes, but if it does, you will still be able to track it through extensions.gnome.org and receive the update (implying there will be one) as soon as it is published. I do it myself all the time and I bet you at least one of the extensions you are missing can be fixed this way. (Remove accesibility won't, but none needs it anymore. Now some people may need an "Add Accessibility Icon")

Last edited by isacdaavid (2013-04-23 06:28:40)

#9 2013-04-24 04:53:06

orschiro
Website

Indeed I am using extensions.gnome.org which is simply great. An automatic update feature would even be better.

In addition I was able to make all my extensions running with 3.8 by just updating the version list in each of the metadata.json file.

Thanks!

#10 2013-04-26 22:42:00

donniezazen
Website

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ … ning-time/

Did this work for you? I downloaded the files from github and extracted in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions and changed metadata.json to 3.8. I still can't get it to work.

#11 2013-04-27 14:02:33

orschiro
Website

No. Although it does not show any error when changing metadata.json to 3.8 it does not show the remaining percentage or time.

The same goes for Windows alt tab which neither works by just editing metadata.json.

Last edited by orschiro (2013-04-27 14:02:53)

#12 2013-04-28 04:11:06

sidneyk

isacdaavid wrote:

I'm glad to hear you successfully updated some of them. The extensions page looks neat and works really well, I think this Firefox-addons-like approach has been one of the best things in Gnome 3, it makes extensions even better than all the customizability options that Gnome 2 had IMO.

I asked whether you were using extensions.gnome.org or the Arch User Repository because (just as historical background) there was a time when the AUR plus some official Arch packages were used to host and install all the available gnome shell extensions, unless you wanted to retrieve one by one from the Internet, but this was discouraged when extensions.gnome.org came into existence. Automatic updates has also been suggested for future gnome releases, so people won't even have to re-visit the site.

I don't want to be rude, but I really think you should try changing the outdated metadata.json's as explained in our wiki. The process is straightforward, fast and almost mechanical; and you won't break a thing. If it doesn't work for one extension you can always revert changes, but if it does, you will still be able to track it through extensions.gnome.org and receive the update (implying there will be one) as soon as it is published. I do it myself all the time and I bet you at least one of the extensions you are missing can be fixed this way. (Remove accesibility won't, but none needs it anymore. Now some people may need an "Add Accessibility Icon")

Actually, by accident mostly, I noticed that the Accessibility icon was gone from a fresh install of Gnome 3.8. I like to use one of the features, i.e. Large Text. I also noticed that in the Settings panel there is an icon for Accessibility (or something similar) where I could choose the Large Text setting and as soon as I did, then the Accessibility icon reappeared on the top bar. If I disable the setting then the icon is gone again, so it seems unless you are using one of the Accessibility features, then the icon doesn't appear. I didn't try with any of the other Accessibility settings.

Board footer