You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-22 22:16:32

Invie

Python Modules for Bot Making?

Hi, I'd like to learn to create a bot to be used in IM applications like, Chatango.com, GMail, IRC, or Jabber. But I have no idea where to start, or what specific modules that I should perhaps invest my time in learning. The programming language of choice is Python, though I am willing to take the time to read over anything involving C. Thanks in advance!

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.  ~Hans Christian Andersen

#2 2013-04-22 22:22:15

thesystematic

Re: Python Modules for Bot Making?

Python has a very good natural language processing library called NLTK, which is worth looking at. It has a chatbot module: http://nltk.org/api/nltk.chat.html#nltk.chat.util.Chat.

It's quite basic, but it's a start. You can create a simple chatbot out of pairs of regexp and a list of responses.

I'd be interested in what other people have to offer, as I'm doing an undergrad thesis at the moment relevant to text processing like this.

#3 2013-04-26 17:07:54

Invie

That looks very useful, thanks. I am a bit interested in figuring out how I could possibly "connect" my bot to protocols as well, and/or how to figure out how different protocols work. I know they're basically rules that devices follow in order to communicate, but something like how to get it to actually connect to maybe a XMPP chat totally goes over my head. Any other pointers?

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.  ~Hans Christian Andersen

#4 2013-05-10 00:22:27

Invie

By word of a friend, I found a good python library known as SleekXMPP. http://sleekxmpp.com/ I'm so glad that it's packaged in the aur!

Board footer