You are not logged in.

#451 2013-04-17 19:50:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Alopex: a tiling tagging tabbed window manager with fur

@Unia,
https://raw.github.com/TrilbyWhite/ttwm … agcons.png

I've opened something in every tag to show all the relevant icons (though any "icon" can be used in tags, battery and cpu icons wouldn't make much sense there).

In the image, the currently focused window is on tag "refs", while tags refs, stats, and term are visible in the current view, and web is in the alternate view.

Or if you want to see what it looks like on your system, install Alopex, and don't be a lagopus! wink

Last edited by Trilby (2013-04-17 19:53:34)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#452 2013-04-17 19:55:04

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Yeah, so I decided that my revision of the web icon is worse than the initial proposal. I'd recommend you do not accept the second commit smile

Also, I noticed you corrected the PKGBUILD to accept both ttwm_config.h and ttwm_conf.h, despite my experience with case statements, I failed to remember that possibility, good call!

I'm also working on a video icon that I'll pull request shortly.
[Edit]: Video icon pull requested. I think it turned out quite well; I hope you like it.

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2013-04-17 21:07:45)

#453 2013-04-17 19:57:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

FYI, as you can see by the thread title, I've decided on Alopex as a final name.

But the full transition may take a week or so.  There's a lot of 'housekeeping' to be done to properly change the name on github and in the aur.  I may consider having the PKGBUILD install a symlink to /usr/bin/alopex from /usr/bin/ttwm to ease the transition and give users time to update their xinitrc/display managers.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#454 2013-04-17 19:58:42

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

FYI, as you can see by the thread title, I've decided on Alopex as a final name.

But the full transition may take a week or so.  There's a lot of 'housekeeping' to be done to properly change the name on github and in the aur.  I may consider having the PKGBUILD install a symlink to /usr/bin/alopex from /usr/bin/ttwm to ease the transition and give users time to update their xinitrc/display managers.

Switching over the Wiki will be fun tongue

All the best,

-HG

#455 2013-04-17 20:07:44

Unia
Website

Oh, sweet!

Trilby wrote:

Or if you want to see what it looks like on your system, install Alopex, and don't be a lagopus! wink

Glad I can be the first you use your new slogan on wink

Last edited by Unia (2013-04-17 20:08:00)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#456 2013-04-18 01:01:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Next mini-project: create more "default" color themes which could be selected at compile-time.

The current version will be Alopex's winter coat.  I'm planning a red/brown theme which will be called summer coat.

Then if I make light background versions there would be night and day for each of winter coat and summer coat.

#457 2013-04-18 01:06:46

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

Next mini-project: create more "default" color themes which could be selected at compile-time.

The current version will be Alopex's winter coat.  I'm planning a red/brown theme which will be called summer coat.

Then if I make light background versions there would be night and day for each of winter coat and summer coat.

Sounds very interesting. I look forward to seeing how these are implemented.

All the best,

-HG

#458 2013-04-18 01:32:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm tinkering with it now.  I like it, despite it feeling a little 'ubuntu-esque' with the red/brown colors.  I'll polish it up and get some screen shots up on a new alopex github-pages site soon.

Alopex now has two default color themes.  The "default default" is WinterCoat which is a range of cool blues on a dark background.  SummerCoat is a range of reds and browns on a dark 'dirt' color.  These can be specified at built time (when there is no user defined config) by setting the environement variable MOLT.  Examples of compiling for each are commented in the PKGBUILD.

Any other interesting themes can be submitted for consideration to add to the default color themes.  As above, I imagine there will eventually be a Daylight theme for anyone who prefers light backgrounds.  "Grassland", could also be good with a range of greens.  Given it's popularity as a terminal theme I might include a Solarized theme too - but I've never been much a fan of it myself.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-04-18 11:00:53)

#459 2013-04-22 09:18:19

taylorchu

I am really surprised that this great work is in one file, and reading 1000+ lines is painful.
I hope that in 2.0 we will have better architecture for maintainablity.

Last edited by taylorchu (2013-04-22 09:18:51)

"After you do enough distro research, you will choose Arch."

#460 2013-04-22 10:55:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

taylorchu wrote:

I am really surprised that this great work is in one file, and reading 1000+ lines is painful.

Sorry it is not in your style; it is in mine.  I can maintain it just fine.  One should not have to jump from one region of a file to another (or worse yet other files!) to follow the program logic of a completely linear process.

taylorchu wrote:

I hope that in 2.0 we will have better architecture for maintainablity.

Don't expect a change in this.

#461 2013-04-22 18:08:46

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

I think the name-change on the wiki is complete. Anyone should feel free to comment if I missed something or correct it if they'd like.

All the best,

-HG

#462 2013-04-22 20:32:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That wiki looks great, thanks for all the work on it.  I'm preparing a webpage for alopex, and see that there is no use replicating all that info - I'll just make a nice "front page" and link to the wiki.

#463 2013-04-22 20:44:23

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

That wiki looks great, thanks for all the work on it.  I'm preparing a webpage for alopex, and see that there is no use replicating all that info - I'll just make a nice "front page" and link to the wiki.

I'm thrilled that you're so happy with it! Can I recommend one thing then? At some point, is there a plan to get some man pages written? I could imagine three two separate ones. alopex, alopex-icons and alopex-config. I feel like having some accessible and official documentation would be a very good idea. It would not be difficult to expand the comment documentation into man-pages, and I would be more than happy to contribute.

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2013-04-22 21:11:09)

#464 2013-04-22 23:09:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Yes, man pages are desperately needed.  I've never enjoyed writing them, so they are often one of the last bits to go into my projects (if/when they get done at all) - I *do* enjoy figuring out good ways of coding things, so that always gets my attention first.

Given the ever-evolving nature of alopex, getting around to man pages hasn't really happened.  When I have time to work on my FOSS projects I think "hmm, I can implement that default tag fix, or I can write a man page."  That feels a bit like "I could watch another episode of The Mentalist, or I could pay my bills."  I do end up with the occasional call from a bill collector! wink

If you want to write those up, that would be great.

#465 2013-04-22 23:13:25

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Trilby wrote:

Yes, man pages are desperately needed.  I've never enjoyed writing them, so they are often one of the last bits to go into my projects (if/when they get done at all) - I *do* enjoy figuring out good ways of coding things, so that always gets my attention first.

Given the ever-evolving nature of alopex, getting around to man pages hasn't really happened.  When I have time to work on my FOSS projects I think "hmm, I can implement that default tag fix, or I can write a man page."  That feels a bit like "I could watch another episode of The Mentalist, or I could pay my bills."  I do end up with the occasional call from a bill collector! wink

If you want to write those up, that would be great.

I've never written a man page before, but I'd be happy to take a shot at it. It may take a bit before I can actually get it done as the busy-work "finals" for my semester are all due over the course of the next two weeks or so. But, I've actually managed to finish a large portion of my other projects, so this will be one of the next ones on the schedule.

All the best,

-HG

#466 2013-04-22 23:26:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

HalosGhost wrote:

I've never written a man page before ...

I never had either, until I did.  And I only fumbled through by looking at some examples.  Any file in /usr/share/man/man1/* can be opened as a text file.  I think the language is called troff, but it just uses a handful of "commands" to indicate format, and the rest is plain text.

Cross posted from github: I just added you as a collaborator on alopex on github.  Let me know if you have commit access.  You can clone the repo (`git clone http://github.com/TrilbyWhite/alopex.git`) to work locally on your own computer.  Then `git add <files>`, `git commit -m "message"`, and `git push -u origin master`.  The last step may require confirmation of some ssh keys ... I'm still figuring out git(hub).

#467 2013-04-23 08:25:31

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Yep, I have commit access, thank you again. And I took a look at a couple man pages already and I've started some work on it.

All the best,

-HG

#468 2013-04-23 20:47:20

Rasi
Website

In file included from alopex.c:147:0:
config.h:123:30: error: ‘XRANDR_CMD’ undeclared here (not in a function)
  { 0,    0x1008ff59, spawn,  XRANDR_CMD  },
                              ^
make: *** [alopex] Error 1

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#469 2013-04-23 21:19:40

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Rasi wrote:
config.h:123:30: error: ‘XRANDR_CMD’ undeclared here (not in a function)

I think this may have been due to the XRANDR_CMD's declaration near the top of config.h being commented out. I just uncommented it in the upstream repo, so if you're just using the default config.h, I believe this should be fixed.

All the best,

-HG

#470 2013-04-30 17:50:48

bgc1954

Trilby - Just trying to make a green theme and the MOLT option doesn't seem to be working, unless It's on my end--wouldn't be surprised tongue

First, I tried to just substitute my colors and replace SummerCoat with GrassLand and changed out the #ifdef SummerCoat to #ifdef GrassLand and put a MOLT=GrassLand make in the PKGBUILD.  That didn't work, sad

Then I thought I'd just change the colors in the SummerCoat section and uncomment MOLT=SummerCoat make in PKGBUILD but it still builds the default WinterCoat.  Any thoughts?

Last edited by bgc1954 (2013-04-30 17:56:25)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#471 2013-04-30 17:57:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'd be interested in seeing this GrassLand theme.  I'm not sure why it's not working as it should.  The only thing I can think of is if you have an ~/.alopex_conf.h or ~/.config/alopex/config.h.  If either of these files exist, they override any MOLT variable option.

The order of operations in the PKGBUILD is (basically):
1 - pull the source from git
2 - copy any user configs to the source folder
3 - build with any MOLT variable setting

The MOLT variable is only used in the default config.h, so if that was overritten in step 2, the MOLT variable would no longer have any effect.

#472 2013-04-30 18:31:26

bgc1954

I just stepped away from my computer and had a revelation when I was eating lunch.  The initial make in the PKGBUILD needs to be commented out if you're going to use a different theme.  It just missed my attention so if there are others out there, not quite as attentive--like me, perhaps a comment should be added to the PKGBUILD

build() {
        cd "${_gitname}"
        ## try different initial themes:
        ##   WinterCoat is assumed if none are specified.  Comment out make and uncomment MOLT choice.
        make 
        #MOLT=WinterCoat make
        #MOLT=SummerCoat make
}

or is it too obvious?  edit: Or perhaps, take the make out altogether and just leave WinterCoat uncommented.

edit: and yes, i do have an .alopex_config.h but if you comment out the first make it works fine.  In the original PKGBUILD the make is right below cd "${_gitname}"so I missed it--that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2013-04-30 18:44:29)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#473 2013-04-30 19:18:36

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Glad it works.  "Theming" will actually be revised a bit shortly to make this easier.

EDIT: I just pushed this change - but I don't have much time to test it at the moment.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-04-30 19:25:29)

#474 2013-04-30 20:27:32

bgc1954

Just checked out the changes and tweeking my own green theme works fine if I just comment out the #define and #include parts of the themes in config.h and just put in my own tab and title colors.

I checked out the build with the defaults in the new config.h and let it build WinterCoat--or at least that was what it was supposed to do--and I am getting SummerCoat instead.

I'm also getting confused with TabFocused, TabDefault, and TabTop as they seem to work a little different depending on if you use monocle or bstack.  I'll keep on tweeking, probably tommorrow, as I must do something besides sit at the computer for now.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2013-04-30 20:28:04)

#475 2013-04-30 20:30:43

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

bgc1954 wrote:

Just checked out the changes and tweeking my own green theme works fine if I just comment out the #define and #include parts of the themes in config.h and just put in my own tab and title colors.

I'd strongly recommend against that. The PKGBUILD was just updated (not in the AUR yet), to allow for user-themes placed at either of the following locations:

$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/alopex/theme.h
$HOME/.alopex_theme.h

Instead of commenting out those lines in the config.h, create and use a custom theme.h

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2013-04-30 20:31:42)

Board footer