You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-23 07:37:40

Laudes

[SOLVED] Steam choppy - faster in wine, or graphic driver issue?

I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlNCAnpHoco

And it is true that he uses ubuntu, the video might be outdated, bla bla... But I notice him getting better "performance" in wine then I get native in Arch.

I get this choppy-ness when getting notifications in the right corner (messages and such, only half the box shows up and it goes quite slowly). Aswell as in the store page, when the featured items scrolls it is choppy and annoying to watch. I tried installing the NVIDIA drivers but without sucess, I may post a new thread about that issue later when I get home and can post the exact error messges. In other words I'm currently using the noveau drivers. I have a Nvidia GT 440 card from GIGABYTE.

Right now I'm merly asking if you believe this would be caused by the drivers (do I have some lib32 package missing maybe?) or something else...

Currently on KDE, which I will replace for something else when I get home. It's choppy in GNOME/XFCE aswell, so it's not the DE that is causing it atleast.

Have not tried any games yet, tried downloading/installing TF2 yesterday but that caused the entire steam client to go nuts and crash.

Last edited by Laudes (2013-04-23 09:49:13)

#2 2013-04-23 09:04:24

Beelzebud

Re: [SOLVED] Steam choppy - faster in wine, or graphic driver issue?

More than likely it's the drivers.   It's nice that nvidia has an open source driver, but right now there a lot of problems with them.  One pretty big issue is that most cards run in what is basically an under-clocked state , with the open source driver, which gives you less performance.

If you're going to be gaming on the machine, I'd recommend installing the nvidia proprietary drivers.   I don't think the open source drivers will run TF2 at a playable state.

#3 2013-04-23 09:48:43

Laudes

Re: [SOLVED] Steam choppy - faster in wine, or graphic driver issue?

Beelzebud wrote:

More than likely it's the drivers.   It's nice that nvidia has an open source driver, but right now there a lot of problems with them.  One pretty big issue is that most cards run in what is basically an under-clocked state , with the open source driver, which gives you less performance.

If you're going to be gaming on the machine, I'd recommend installing the nvidia proprietary drivers.   I don't think the open source drivers will run TF2 at a playable state.

Thanks for answering relatively quickly, you pretty much confirmed what I expected, and since you're saying the noveau drivers won't work well with games I will not have much choise then to install the NVIDIA drivers. As stated before I will try again and write down the errors of the nvidia installtion and see if I can find any solution, I believe I have some kernel missing, but I'm not sure that was what the error message said... Marking as solved.

Board footer