You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-23 09:06:49

chirag740
Website

nm-applet missing in notification bar in XFCE

After running "yaourt -Syu" last week, I lost nm-applet in the notification bar. Now each time to autoconnect to wifi, I need to do a restart.
Is there any way to restore nm-applet. I tried the tips in wiki page.

Another thing, when I try nm-applet in terminal, it gives following message:

Last edited by chirag740 (2013-05-05 11:18:47)

#2 2013-04-23 09:44:53

crazyg4merz

Re: nm-applet missing in notification bar in XFCE

Got the same problem. Downgrading didn't help it. I think it's because of the switch from polkit-gnome to polkit or the new dependency of modemmanager.

#3 2013-04-23 21:51:33

jakh

My nm-applet works fine in LXDE (can't test on XFCE at the moment, trying to reinstall). When I pkill it, and launch nm-applet & from a terminal, it gives a warning about gtk-3.0 settings missing and then says applet now removed from the notification area, followed immediately by applet now embedded in the notification area.

The reason I am reinstalling was because when I updated gnome (I was using i3 + gnome), X kind of got all screwy and anything with gnome dependencies for me stopped working... I think it's related to gtk themes, you could try making sure you have actually applied settings for gtk 2 & gtk 3 apps...

#4 2013-04-28 23:06:21

chirag740
Website

crazyg4merz wrote:

Got the same problem. Downgrading didn't help it. I think it's because of the switch from polkit-gnome to polkit or the new dependency of modemmanager.

I have all dependencies installed still the problem persists. nm-applet is missing from the top panel.

#5 2013-05-05 08:11:38

rg_arc

I have the same problem. I've been able to get it to work but I need to run it from the terminal by putting the "$ nm-applet" command into the terminal. Also, here is the message I get in the terminal after I run the command:

Last edited by rg_arc (2013-05-05 08:12:25)

#6 2013-05-05 08:27:22

chirag740
Website

rg_arc wrote:

I have the same problem. I've been able to get it to work

How did you manage to make it work. Please let me know.

rg_arc wrote:

but I need to run it from the terminal by putting the "$ nm-applet" command into the terminal. Also, here is the message I get in the terminal after I run the command:

Yes, it gives exactly the same message when nm-applet is invoked via terminal.

I'm sure there are others out there, facing the same issue. If anyone has come up with a workaround please share.

#7 2013-05-05 08:49:02

rg_arc

I usually use wireless internet.. but recently I have been using a mobile broadband card. I was having some problems with it not activating so I downgraded modemmanager and the applet to see if that would fix it. I upgraded dbus and it didn't work at all so I then upgraded everything to current and realized that modemmanager wasn't enabled with systemd for some reason.

I ran the command:

# systemctl enable modemmanager.service

that fixed the issue and the applet was running normally like it should. After two reboots or shutdown/power on cycles the applet was showing up and disappearing randomly, sometimes it would disappear as soon as I was connected to the internet. I tried "# systemctl restart NetworkManager.service" and that seemed to help with the technical side of things but the applet itself won't "show" in the notification area unless I run it during the whole  session from the terminal or "$ killall nm-applet ; $ nm-applet" and that usually does the trick. Hope that helps.

#8 2013-05-05 11:10:27

chirag740
Website

rg_arc wrote:

I usually use wireless internet.. but recently I have been using a mobile broadband card. I was having some problems with it not activating so I downgraded modemmanager and the applet to see if that would fix it. I upgraded dbus and it didn't work at all so I then upgraded everything to current and realized that modemmanager wasn't enabled with systemd for some reason.

I ran the command:

# systemctl enable modemmanager.service

that fixed the issue and the applet was running normally like it should. After two reboots or shutdown/power on cycles the applet was showing up and disappearing randomly, sometimes it would disappear as soon as I was connected to the internet. I tried "# systemctl restart NetworkManager.service" and that seemed to help with the technical side of things but the applet itself won't "show" in the notification area unless I run it during the whole  session from the terminal or "$ killall nm-applet ; $ nm-applet" and that usually does the trick. Hope that helps.

I tried this all but no success. Still the same message appears saying

Last edited by chirag740 (2013-05-05 11:10:49)

#9 2013-05-05 21:21:25

rg_arc

ok after running nm-applet from the terminal for a whole session and being connected to the internet with the mobile broadband device I shutdown the computer while it was running. When I logged back in the applet is working alone permanently. I would suggest restarting or killall nm-applet and starting it again until you get the message I got in the terminal. I noticed once that everytime I started the applet in the terminal the message would read that either it was embedded or removed from the notification area.

#10 2013-05-06 16:24:04

hcra

This appears to a duplicate to my request for help in the Networking Forum. I've encountered the same issue in Gnome 3.8.

I am wondering if the nm-applet issue is due to a bug in the underlying networking applications. We have 2 APs, an Apple Airport and a Netgear running dd-wrt. The nm-applet crashes frequently when connected to the Netgear dd-wrt AP. The Airport, however, is solid and stable, and I've had no crashes.

Last edited by hcra (2013-05-06 21:15:37)

#11 2013-05-15 20:18:05

ArchAlex

Did anyone worked it out? I am using LXDE and Slim, as device boots up into default guest account, nm-applet shows properly but as soon as i log out and log in to my working account nm-applet disappears from notification area. Trying launching it via termnial yields same 'Message: applet now removed from the notification area' message, weird, as it works at first in my default log in guest account. Any ideas?

Full message log from the terminal

nm-applet:1537): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/run/user/1001/dconf': Отказано в доступе.  dconf will not work properly.

(nm-applet:1537): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/run/user/1001/dconf': Отказано в доступе.  dconf will not work properly.

** (nm-applet:1537): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Rejected send message, 2 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.38" (uid=1000 pid=1537 comm="nm-applet ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="GetAll" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" (uid=0 pid=612 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ")

** (nm-applet:1537): WARNING **: Error connecting to ModemManager: Ошибка вызова StartServiceByName для org.freedesktop.ModemManager1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service' for details.

Upd: My bad, the bug is detailed here: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/34329

Last edited by ArchAlex (2013-05-15 20:34:06)

#12 2013-07-24 09:41:27

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I have exactly the same problem with lxdm + xfce4.

I logon as User A through lxdm, nm-applet is autostarted by xfce4 - that all works great.  I log out and back in through lxdm as User B and the network is still working fine but the icon is not there.  I can killall nm-applet and try and restart it but I get the same errors as ArchAlex.

I had a look at the bug Alex linked and tried the pam.d fix but no joy.  I also saw this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143640&p=1

What does work is completely disabling lxdm, logging in to a tty and running startxfce4.

Therefore the culprit seems to be the display manager configuration, rather than the DE.

I have no idea which component is at fault here.  Based on all I have read it could be:

pam
dbus
systemd
dconf

I should also say that I am working on a fresh install so almost everything is "default".  I don't have any customised xinitrc or anything and I'm pretty sure I haven't missed any configuration steps.

#13 2013-07-24 10:08:12

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I've compared the various pam.d files for lxdm, slim and gdm-launch-environment (which I am guessing is the right gdm one) and they all seem totally different.

It's this error that piques my interest:

(nm-applet:1537): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/run/user/1001/dconf'

The UI in this error (for me) is for the user that logged on first, so something is persisting where it shouldn't.

.:edit:.

So I had another look at the lxdm wiki page and saw this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LX … t_behavior

I added this to /etc/lxdm/PostLogout:

#!/bin/sh

# Terminate current user session
/usr/bin/loginctl terminate-session $XDG_SESSION_ID

# Restart lxdm
/usr/bin/systemctl restart lxdm.service

And nm-applet now works as expected - seems hacky, though.  I can say that the lxdm.service restart is not the fix here - it's definitely the session being cleared because I have previously restarted lxdm.service and got the same errors.

.:edit:.
Also found this: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8209

It seems that we use that patch but I guess it's not working?  Also, it seems like logind can kill all users process:

> I saw the KillUserProcesses option in logind.conf, but did not understand how
> to make it apply to just lxdm. Is it possible to define it per service?

Yes, but it would require it's own PAM setup and configuration that would pass specific arguments into pam_systemd module. This is likely not an easily workable solution overall as it sort of defeats the purpose of stacking PAM configs

Also, there is an option in the [server] section of lxdm.conf, that restarts X when you logout.  The code is:

static void on_session_stop(void *data,int pid, int status)
{
	int level;
	LXSession *s=data;

lxsession_stop(s);

level=get_run_level();
	if(level=='0' || level=='6')
	{
		if(level=='0')
			g_spawn_command_line_sync("/etc/lxdm/PreShutdown",0,0,0,0);
		else
			g_spawn_command_line_sync("/etc/lxdm/PreReboot",0,0,0,0);
		g_message("run level %c\n",level);
		lxdm_quit_self(0);
	}
	if(s!=lxsession_greeter())
	{
		lxsession_free(s);
	}
	else if(g_key_file_get_integer(config,"server","reset",NULL)==1)
	{
		lxsession_free(s);
		lxsession_greeter();
	}
	gchar *argv[] = { "/etc/lxdm/PostLogout", NULL };
	g_spawn_async(NULL, argv, s->env, G_SPAWN_SEARCH_PATH, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);
}

Which should mean that:

[server]
reset=1

in lxde.conf should do something but... I don't see it do anything when I add it.

Last edited by dtw (2013-07-24 11:07:12)

Board footer