You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-24 14:53:20

bohoomil
Website

infinality-bundle: good looking fonts made (even) easier

Although manual building and installation of libraries needed for correct use of Infinality patches does not seem to be extremely difficult, I have realized that it is still confusing for many users as to what should be installed (and where) in order to make fonts render as expected. That is why, in order to simplify the process as much as possible, I decided to create a custom infinality-bundle repository, containing three obligatory packages (x86_64, i686 & multilib) that together should make your screens look way closer to mine.

In order to use the repository, please add the following to your pacman.conf:

[infinality-bundle]
Server = http://bohoomil.com/repo/$arch

If you want to access multilib libraries in x86_64 architecture as well, add also this:

[infinality-bundle-multilib]
Server = http://bohoomil.com/repo/multilib/$arch

Additionaly, if you want to use a comprehensive collection of free fonts from the infinality-bundle-fonts repository, append

[infinality-bundle-fonts]
Server = http://bohoomil.com/repo/fonts

as well.

Next, import and sign the key:

# pacman-key -r 962DDE58
# pacman-key --lsign-key 962DDE58

Refresh the package list and upgrade the system if necessary:

# pacman -Syyu

Finally, install the bundle with

# pacman -S infinality-bundle

for the minimal variant or, if you prefer a more complex and feature-rich solution, add any of infinality-bundle-multilib, ibfonts-meta-base and ibfonts-meta-extended (for the optional font collection). (Note that if you choose ibfonts-meta-extended, the base set of packages will be pulled automatically as its dependencies.)

All packages were created in a separate, clean chroot environment, and default build settings were used to make them fully compatible with the rest of your systems.

The new packages can be used as drop-in replacements for corresponding generic Arch Linux libraries. And that is it. smile

For more information, see Infinality-bundle+fonts.

Please, leave your feedback and report issues in this thread. Thank you.

Last edited by bohoomil (2014-03-22 08:22:44)

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#2 2013-04-24 15:30:06

hadrons123

Re: infinality-bundle: good looking fonts made (even) easier

Its good that you have created the package for other perusal and I appreciate your efforts. But if you see the archwiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Infinality
Archwiki is not very clear as much as this post for newbies. It would have been of immense help to newbies, if you have edited the wiki and maintained the dropbox links rather than posting here. Everyone using Arch linux is always looking for the wiki for help.

Last edited by hadrons123 (2013-04-24 15:31:19)

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#3 2013-04-24 15:49:28

bohoomil
Website

Well, the Wiki covers the entire DIY procedure and assumes you have installed Infinality fontconfig settings and runtime file as they are available in the AUR. This is not a case here at all. infinality-bundle is meant to be installed in a single step that should give the user what their want of the box, without obligatory user intervention. (See the user notes above for details. It answers the majority of possible questions.) It doesn't come with all the settings but mine, so there is really nothing to write about but 'issue pacman -U foo.$arch.tar.xz and enjoy'. smile If the project catches up, I will surely modify the Wiki article so that it offers yet another, and hopefully the easiest, option of getting a working Infinality setup. Now I'm not really sure what I should write there as using my packages makes nearly all steps covered there, well, not needed anymore. smile

#4 2013-04-24 15:58:19

hadrons123

I have added a line about this thread in the wiki. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Infinality. I would have liked it to be elaborate and uncluttered but I don't have the time for it right now.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#5 2013-04-24 16:28:26

bohoomil
Website

Thank you. I have further edited your entry and provided installation instructions.

#6 2013-04-24 22:52:26

Supplantr
Website

I've been using your fontconfig-infinality-ultimate setup for a while now and it's the best font rendering I've seen. You have my vote! I'd definitely like to see these in a repo.

However, there seems to be a typo in the dependencies of lib32-cairo-infinality-ultimate:

warning: cannot resolve "lib32-fontconfig-infinali-ultimate", a dependency of "lib32-cairo-infinality-ultimate"

I use linux and I dont understand nothing in this post.

#7 2013-04-25 00:00:41

WonderWoofy

Wow, thanks bohoomil.  You know I am a fan of your font configurations.  It looks great.

Though when I emailed you about configuration, you had told me to keep only 49-sanserif.conf, 50-user.conf, 51-local.conf, and 52-infinality.conf.  Should I do this again, ot are the rest of the symlinks in /etc/conf.d okay as they are?

#8 2013-04-25 01:38:21

bohoomil
Website

Supplantr wrote:

I've been using your fontconfig-infinality-ultimate setup for a while now and it's the best font rendering I've seen. You have my vote! I'd definitely like to see these in a repo.

However, there seems to be a typo in the dependencies of lib32-cairo-infinality-ultimate:

warning: cannot resolve "lib32-fontconfig-infinali-ultimate", a dependency of "lib32-cairo-infinality-ultimate"

Thank you for your comment -- and the ugly 'infinali' thing. I will fix it in 15 minutes.

#9 2013-04-25 02:06:06

bohoomil
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

Wow, thanks bohoomil.  You know I am a fan of your font configurations.  It looks great.

Though when I emailed you about configuration, you had told me to keep only 49-sanserif.conf, 50-user.conf, 51-local.conf, and 52-infinality.conf.  Should I do this again, ot are the rest of the symlinks in /etc/conf.d okay as they are?

Thanks. wink

The thing is that now all the files that are supposed  to be installed come pre-selected and pre-configured: you actually don't have to do anything at all as everything should be performed automatically. Basically, my intention was to create Infinality-equipped equivalents of the 3 libraries that we usually install from the [extra] repository, but at the same time make them ready to use without any user intervention. I simply had all that confusion you have mentioned on my mind and realized that the installation process is a no-go in the long run... Explaining the whole thing and writing a comprehensive Wiki article (as suggested by hadrons123) of course does make sense, but in a typical scenario it's better to try and squeeze all the discrete steps into one. All in all, if you are going to install the packages, you should be fine right after the installation process has completed (restarting the X is a good idea, though).

Just for the record, if you feel safer when you can visualize the content of /etc/fonts/conf.d, here is the listing:

fonts
├── conf.avail
│   ├── 09-texlive-fonts.conf
│   │
│   ├── ...that's where generic fontconfig files reside, and
│   │      let them stay there...
│   │
│   └── 90-synthetic.conf
├── conf.avail.infinality
│   ├── 20-aliases-default.conf
│   │
│   ├── ...that's what comes with fontconfig-infinality-ultimate...
│   │
│   └── 90-reject.conf
│
├── conf.d ...that's what you should find in you /etc/fonts/conf.d after installation...
│   │
│   ├── 20-aliases-default.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/20-aliases-default.conf
│   ├── 20-fix-cantarell.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/20-fix-cantarell.conf
│   ├── 20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans.conf -> ../conf.avail/20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans.conf
│   ├── 20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans-mono.conf -> ../conf.avail/20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans-mono.conf
│   ├── 20-unhint-small-dejavu-serif.conf -> ../conf.avail/20-unhint-small-dejavu-serif.conf
│   ├── 21-aliases-wine.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/21-aliases-wine.conf
│   ├── 30-non-latin.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/30-non-latin.conf
│   ├── 41-repl-os.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/41-repl-os.conf
│   ├── 42-repl-global.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/42-repl-global.conf
│   ├── 43-repl-tt-traced-bitmap.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/43-repl-tt-traced-bitmap.conf
│   ├── 44-repl-corrective.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/44-repl-corrective.conf
│   ├── 49-sansserif.conf -> /etc/fonts/conf.avail/49-sansserif.conf
│   ├── 50-base-rendering.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/50-base-rendering.conf
│   ├── 50-user.conf -> /etc/fonts/conf.avail/50-user.conf
│   ├── 51-local.conf -> /etc/fonts/conf.avail/51-local.conf
│   ├── 57-dejavu-sans.conf -> ../conf.avail/57-dejavu-sans.conf
│   ├── 57-dejavu-sans-mono.conf -> ../conf.avail/57-dejavu-sans-mono.conf
│   ├── 57-dejavu-serif.conf -> ../conf.avail/57-dejavu-serif.conf
│   ├── 60-group-non-tt-fonts.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/60-group-non-tt-fonts.conf
│   ├── 60-group-tt-fonts.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/60-group-tt-fonts.conf
│   ├── 61-group-non-tt-rendering.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/61-group-non-tt-rendering.conf
│   ├── 61-group-tt-rendering.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/61-group-tt-rendering.conf
│   ├── 62-tt-monospace-rendering.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/62-tt-monospace-rendering.conf
│   ├── 62-tt-traced-bitmap-rendering.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/62-tt-traced-bitmap-rendering.conf
│   ├── 65-override.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/65-override.conf
│   ├── 66-droid-sans-group.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/66-droid-sans-group.conf
│   ├── 66-droid-serif-group.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/66-droid-serif-group.conf
│   ├── 70-forced-synthetic.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/70-forced-synthetic.conf
│   ├── 80-selective-rendering.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/80-selective-rendering.conf
│   ├── 81-final-lang-spec.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/81-final-lang-spec.conf
│   ├── 81-final-rendering.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/81-final-rendering.conf
│   ├── 90-no-synthetic.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/90-no-synthetic.conf
│   ├── 90-reject.conf -> ../conf.avail.infinality/90-reject.conf
│   ├── 99pdftoopvp.conf
│   └── README
├── fonts.conf
└── fonts.dtd

There may be a few differences in the picture, depending on what applications you are using, but generally if you can't see any problem -- it's quite likely that there isn't any indeed. smile

Edit: and while we are there: those files -- 49-sanserif.conf, 50-user.conf, 51-local.conf -- should be installed automaticaly, while this guy --> 52-infinality.conf <-- is a shameful, inactive leftover (my bad). It isn't doing anything, just sleeping. You can safely kill it as it's job is now directly performed by /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. I will soon remove it altogether.

Edit2: OK, both issues have been fixed, you can download rebuilt packages and re-install them.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-04-25 03:09:44)

#10 2013-04-25 03:42:48

stryder

Thanks, Bohoomil. Just works.

#11 2013-04-25 04:59:48

orschiro
Website

Great Bohoomil!

As there is no repo existing yet, will you inform about new updates to the package here?

#12 2013-04-25 05:09:02

bohoomil
Website

Thanks. wink Yes, I will -- this is not a nice solution, but I hope a temporary one only.

#13 2013-04-25 06:57:43

Cthulhu82

I get an error when trying to install :

Erreur: la préparation de la transaction a échoué (la satisfaction des dépendances a échoué)
:: libgdiplus : requiert cairo>=1.8.10

In english, it should be something like "Error: transaction preparation failed (satisfaction of dependancies failed)"

Last edited by Cthulhu82 (2013-04-25 06:59:15)

« En essayant continuellement, on finit par réussir.
Donc plus ça rate, plus ça a de chance de marcher. »
Devise Shadock

#14 2013-04-25 07:13:25

Grinch

Sounds interesing, I've tried the infinality packages and the different styles there but I haven't really gotten it to look as good as I expected (hinting problems I suppose), any chance you have some screenshots where I could see examples of how your font rendering setup looks?

#15 2013-04-25 07:31:57

SanskritFritz
Website

Grinch wrote:

any chance you have some screenshots where I could see examples of how your font rendering setup looks?

Hit on google for "bohoomil screenshot" is this: http://bohoomil.deviantart.com/

Thank you bohoomil for your efforts, very much appreciated!

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2013-04-25 07:32:19)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#16 2013-04-25 09:19:46

Pank

bohoomil,
Thanks!
Would you consider making  your dropbox into a repo so that packages could be updated via pacman?  See e.g. http://pkgbuild.com/~heftig/repo/.

edit: rewording

Last edited by Pank (2013-04-25 09:20:27)

Arch x64 on Thinkpad X200s/W530

#17 2013-04-25 09:24:17

orschiro
Website

See above initial post:

If you positively respond to the project, I will try to set up a dedicated repository to fully integrate it
with your systems

#18 2013-04-25 10:46:36

brebs

Grinch wrote:

screenshots

Screenshots are misleading, because a circle drawn for a 1280x1024 screen would appear distorted if shown on a 1920x1080 screen.

Even with the same screen resolution, the dots-per-inch can be different, and that affects the rendering too.

So screenshots are only a rough guide.

#19 2013-04-25 13:09:24

bohoomil
Website

Cthulhu82 wrote:

I get an error when trying to install :

Erreur: la préparation de la transaction a échoué (la satisfaction des dépendances a échoué)
:: libgdiplus : requiert cairo>=1.8.10

In english, it should be something like "Error: transaction preparation failed (satisfaction of dependancies failed)"

Try doing the following:

pacman -Rdd cairo
pacman -U cairo-infinality-ultimate-*.tar.xz

#20 2013-04-25 13:19:50

bohoomil
Website

Grinch wrote:

Sounds interesing, I've tried the infinality packages and the different styles there but I haven't really gotten it to look as good as I expected (hinting problems I suppose), any chance you have some screenshots where I could see examples of how your font rendering setup looks?

You can always find them here.

However, you had better test the real thing to check if it visually works in your context (see brebs' post for an explanation). It should, but...

#21 2013-04-25 13:40:24

Cthulhu82

bohoomil wrote:

Try doing the following:

pacman -Rdd cairo
pacman -U cairo-infinality-ultimate-*.tar.xz

A "pacman -Ud *" did it.
And nice job by the way wink
Would be great indeed to have it in repo.

« En essayant continuellement, on finit par réussir.
Donc plus ça rate, plus ça a de chance de marcher. »
Devise Shadock

#22 2013-04-25 14:44:11

oboedad55

@bohoomil: Dropbox says files not present.

Last edited by oboedad55 (2013-04-25 14:44:34)

Registered Linux user #436067

#23 2013-04-25 14:49:24

bohoomil
Website

@oboedad55: I know, I broke it. tongue

I updated the link to my Dropbox in the first post. Please, use a new one.

BTW, I don't have a clue if using a Dropbox account for the purpose of an Arch repository is (still?) possible at all: I keep playing with it, but the thingy doesn't want to work...

#24 2013-04-25 14:58:07

oboedad55

bohoomil wrote:

@oboedad55: I know, I broke it. tongue

I updated the link to my Dropbox in the first post. Please, use a new one.

BTW, I don't have a clue if using a Dropbox account for the purpose of an Arch repository is (still?) possible at all: I keep playing with it, but the thingy doesn't want to work...

Thanks. I get this error with the cairo package:

cairo-infinality-ultimate and cairo are in conflict. Remove cairo? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: libgdiplus: requires cairo>=1.8.10

Registered Linux user #436067

#25 2013-04-25 15:07:18

theGunslinger

So that's what my font is supposed to look like! big_smile Seriously thanks so much for this, been planing on playing with the settings for a long time and now it's just beautiful without any tinkering.

Board footer