You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-25 01:44:16

Shibumi

Arch-Copyright

Hello,
I want to ask if I could use the Archlinux-Logo in my private Twitter account. It is for private use only.  Is that ok? Because  I have read some mails in the mailing list about some abuses. Thats my reason for this question.

Thanks

#2 2013-04-25 01:53:34

Trilby
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Arch-Copyright

This is not really a topic for forum discussion*.  Instead see here and if it is not then clear, send an email to the address included on that page.

*edit/note: I didn't mean to imply it was wrong to ask - if you didn't know where the information was it is reasonable to ask on the forums.  I only mean that it is not something that would really be up for discussion as a community consensus is irrelevant to whether or not your use would be acceptable.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-04-25 01:54:50)

InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

#3 2013-04-25 01:54:26

ANOKNUSA

It's perfectly alright to use the logo for your own purposes, as long as you follow the trademark policy--chiefly, that you don't state or imply that you represent Arch or that your project is "official" in any way.  Chances are, the "abuses" you saw referred to were the fact that some separate, spin-off distributions used to have packaging and websites that looked nearly identical to the official Arch site.

EDIT: Bah, move faster, fingers!

Last edited by ANOKNUSA (2013-04-25 01:55:07)

#4 2013-04-25 02:22:48

hadrons123

Shibumi wrote:

Hello,
I want to ask if I could use the Archlinux-Logo in my private Twitter account. It is for private use only.  Is that ok? Because  I have read some mails in the mailing list about some abuses. Thats my reason for this question.

Thanks

At least a dozen people are having the logo in Arch forums as their avatar. I 'm sure Arch legal will not sue you for using it on your Twitter account!

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#5 2013-04-25 02:42:36

Shibumi

k thx. smile

#6 2013-04-25 03:10:48

dag

I think the only issue would be ussing it to make money or using it as ones own. referencing it would not pose a problem I would think, also ussing without permission in a public fashion would be unprofesional(as ones own). I have no official affiliation to arch and am in no way a voice of such and this is only my opinion based on licences and linux.

Last edited by dag (2013-04-25 03:17:12)

--------------------------------------
alcoves wonder creates the wonder unto the ages; never lose that.

#7 2013-04-25 03:52:30

ewaller
Administrator

dag wrote:

I think the only issue would be ussing it to make money or using it as ones own. referencing it would not pose a problem I would think, also ussing without permission in a public fashion would be unprofesional(as ones own).

You will note that the moderators have stayed clear of this thread (until now).  The reason is that we have no authority to represent Arch Linux with regards to this.  Speaking for myself, the only issue is not limited to making money.  There are other limitations; for example, one cannot infer that the project is endorsed by Arch Linux.   There are other limitations having to do with reputation of Arch by causing confusion with other projects.  I cannot, and will not, tell you what I think you can do.   But, it should be possible to comply with the modest requirements.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Like you, I have no idea what you are doing, but I am pretty sure it is wrong...Jasonwryan
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer