You are not logged in.

#26 2013-02-27 23:24:38

srs5694
Website

Re: Unable to boot Arch ISO in UEFI mode

bericp1 wrote:

Unfortunately, adding the hdbios option to refind.conf's scanfor didn't result in any options showing up.

Try perusing your firmware's setup options for anything relating to enabling BIOS/legacy-mode booting or adding BIOS/legacy options to the boot list. At present, rEFInd only presents BIOS/legacy boot options that are available in the firmware's list of boot options, so if the firmware is told to ignore such options, rEFInd will ignore them, too. Some EFIs have options to enable or disable such boot options, though, so you may be able to get them to show up by fiddling with the firmware settings.

I'm going to try adding a manual menu entry to rEFInd that will load arch in bios mode somehow and hope for the best but I'm still open to suggestions.

Unfortunately, that's not possible at present; rEFInd's manual boot stanzas are strictly for EFI-mode boot loaders at the moment.

Last edited by srs5694 (2013-02-27 23:24:56)

#27 2013-02-28 01:31:41

bericp1

srs5694 wrote:

Unfortunately, that's not possible at present; rEFInd's manual boot stanzas are strictly for EFI-mode boot loaders at the moment.

Well, that's unfortunate. hmm Ill look through my BIOS but I already enabled the "Legacy Devices" options which caused my Hard Drive to show up in the F12 startup menu but still not in rEFInd.

#28 2013-04-24 17:07:20

murmlos

I seem to be having the same problem. I created the USB boot drive according to the wiki. But my screen goes completely blank when i try to start the installation.

I've tried the nomodeset but that didn't help either. Its a Samsung 900x3e btw.

#29 2013-04-24 22:03:06

srs5694
Website

murmlos wrote:

I seem to be having the same problem...

Its a Samsung 900x3e btw.

Be aware that recent Samsung computers have a firmware bug that makes them unsafe to boot in EFI mode -- in any OS. When this bug is triggered, the computer is "bricked" -- it becomes unbootable, at a low level, so you have to return the computer to Samsung for service. There are two Linux patches that can help with this. One bypasses one very common trigger condition. The other is a more general workaround. I'm not sure offhand which kernels include which fixes, or if they're incorporated in standard Arch kernels. Thus, before booting Arch in EFI mode on any Samsung, I recommend you research this topic in more detail. Alternatively, don't boot the laptop in EFI mode: Wipe the hard disk, set up an MBR partition table, and (re-)install your OS(es) in BIOS/CSM/legacy mode. This mode of booting is safe -- or at least, it won't trigger the Samsung bricking bug. Note that the bug can be triggered from Windows, so even if you find that recent Arch kernels include the Linux workarounds, that's not a guarantee that you won't brick the computer if you dual-boot with Windows.

#30 2013-04-25 04:31:53

murmlos

srs5694 wrote:

Text

Hi!

Yeah im aware of the bricking problem, but i thought that the patches would "fix" it and they seem to be in the 3.8 kernel (Arch uses 3.8.4). I am contemplating skipping UEFI and just go with legacy BIOS.. However Windows 8 requires UEFI if im not mistaken? And my plan is to dualboot the machine since id like to play some Civilisation 5 from time to time..

I could install Windows 7 in legacy BIOS mode but then i wouldn't have a license for it (i dont think im allowed to downgrade my win8 oem copy)...

Anyway, bricking aside, what could cause the blank screen? I've never seen anything like that before.

#31 2013-04-25 17:13:42

srs5694
Website

Broadly speaking, Windows 8 does not require EFI; however, Windows 8 comes pre-installed in EFI mode on the vast majority of (maybe all) computers that ship with it. This is because Microsoft requires Secure Boot to be enabled on computers that bear a Windows 8 logo, and Secure Boot is an EFI feature. You can, however, re-install Windows 8 in BIOS/CSM/legacy mode if you so desire. The trouble is that doing so is a pain. Most manufacturers' restore partitions will only restore Windows in EFI mode, so you've got to track down a retail DVD or its equivalent. (See this page for some pointers on doing so legally.)

#32 2013-04-26 14:21:49

murmlos

srs5694 wrote:

Broadly speaking, Windows 8 does not require EFI; however, Windows 8 comes pre-installed in EFI mode on the vast majority of (maybe all) computers that ship with it. This is because Microsoft requires Secure Boot to be enabled on computers that bear a Windows 8 logo, and Secure Boot is an EFI feature. You can, however, re-install Windows 8 in BIOS/CSM/legacy mode if you so desire. The trouble is that doing so is a pain. Most manufacturers' restore partitions will only restore Windows in EFI mode, so you've got to track down a retail DVD or its equivalent. (See this page for some pointers on doing so legally.)

Hrm.. well the product key for Windows 8 is encrypted in the UEFI... Is there a way to extract it so i can activate it without UEFI?

Haha this situation really is kinda funny.. I would have been done by now if i just pirated a copy of windows and ignored my legit version smile

#33 2013-04-27 17:53:19

scjet
Banned

it's even worse than that,
most "newer" laptops (as far as I know, and I own them), do NOT even provide a reasonable downgarde path to Win7 (for example),...
You're basically stuck with a weird copy of Win8-(with the even weirder MS-UEFI SsecureBoot/Bios hardware chips) on your lappy, and with the bios enabled for Win8 uefi only, with no where to go, unless the "manufacturere" provides the ability in their bios to enable/disable these certain functionalities. But that won't solve the long problem.
Radhat literally paid($$$) for the right to install Linux, but that's NOT a long-term solution, it's only an exasperation of the existing "real" problem(s) !

Win 8 (pre-installed as you would buy in N.A. DOES require uefi, for most of these animals). In fact there is NO CD/DVD,... that they include for you to install Win8 cleanly. (with/without efi/secure boot...).
I know, because all I ever got on my Asus/Dell/HP/... laptops (pre-installed with Win8-generic) is a one-shot deal, in other words, the only thing I can reinstall is the Win8 drivers, and apps, ..., that came with this new laptop(s).
It really is ALL a hoax,

And on top of that, it's only a matter of time before ALL the major manufacturers remove the ability to "disable" M$'s uefi and secure-boot in these so-called "new" bios's.
Why?
...because they ALL want you to buy, yet again, their completely-proprietary tablets, hardware, ...  LoL.
and unless you purcha$e separately Win8-Professional, or Win7-Pro, ..., or some ilk, you are unfortunately stuck with M$'s version of Win8 purposely designed so.

..., and you will NEVER find a pirated anything of Win7/8, ..., nor should you.
Those days are long-gone my friend.

In Summary, from a Linux "User's" perspective, it really is, and going to be, that bad.
...and of course, The "Powers-that-be" want it so.

Last edited by scjet (2013-04-27 18:26:51)

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

#34 2013-04-28 11:35:50

murmlos

Well i managed to install Windows 8 and Arch Linux in Legacy BIOS mode!

I downloaded a windows 8 iso from the "internet" and created a bootable USB-drive. Disabled Secure Boot and changed to Legacy CSM mode and installed Windows 8.
It automagicly senses the UEFI CD-Key and it Activated windows 8 without any hassle at all. ( I did extract the CD-key using Magical JellyBean Keyfinder just in case).

Oh i had to use diskpart to clean the drive of any GPT-formatting. But other then that it went rather smooth actually.

I'm typing this from my arch install now. Having a bit of trouble with the touchpad, it doesn't seem to recognize multitouch. And i get weird artifacts, well horizontal lines over the screen when i use the terminal in XFCE.. Anywho i'm gonna try to fix the touchpad first. I haven't done a fresh install since 2009 i think so a lot has changed.. Systemd and whatnot smile

#35 2013-05-07 14:56:54

jarav

As mentioned here, disabling the ethernet card in the BIOS, appears to make the blank screen go away.

Board footer