You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-28 21:53:28

madr

[SOLVED] How to make settings in LXTerminal permanent?

This is what I'm trying to do with the LXTerminal: Change the text color, make the window 100% transparent (including frames) and make the window pop up in my upper left corner at startup.

This is what I can do, and what I need help with:
- I can make the LXTerminal launch at startup editing /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart, but not where I want it (only default).
- I can change the text color, and make the window transparent (including frames with the help of obconf), but after reboot the transparency is gone, and I get this black header on my window that I have to remove by a right click option. All settings is set manually in the LXTerminal GUI, not by command line.

I've been searching the internet for solutions, but non of them seems to work for me. Everything I came across referred to Openbox files that doesn't exist in my setup. I'm fairly new to Arch, so please bare with my ignorance. Relevant software I run: Xorg, LXDM and LXDE.

Last edited by madr (2013-04-29 20:41:11)

#2 2013-04-29 12:07:24

f1tzl4nd

Re: [SOLVED] How to make settings in LXTerminal permanent?

This is just a shot in the dark. I've used LXDE a little bit in the past. I think you want to edit the openbox files. In particular rc.xml (at least I think this helps with placement).

madr wrote:

Everything I came across referred to Openbox files that doesn't exist in my setup.

Check /etc/xdg/openbox/ and if they don't exist there just create them. In particular I think you want to edit rc.xml or maybe for LXDE it's lxde-rc.xml. I use xprop (I believe installed with pacman -S xorg-xprop) to find the name/class information.

#3 2013-04-29 13:12:09

madr

I did not install Openbox during install. I only installed Xorg, LXDM and LXDE. If Openbox isn't included in one of those packages, I'm not using it. And then it wouldn't make much sense to create these Openbox files. Is it a good idea for me now to download the Openbox package, and implement it? I'm just asking, not claiming.

#4 2013-04-29 14:00:30

satanselbow

Openbox is part of the LXDE group - so if you installed the whole group (as is the default action) you should have it already

:: There are 20 members in group lxde:
:: Repository community
   1) gpicview  2) libfm  3) lxappearance  4) lxappearance-obconf
   5) lxde-common  6) lxde-icon-theme  7) lxdm  8) lxinput  9) lxlauncher
   10) lxmenu-data  11) lxmusic  12) lxpanel  13) lxrandr  14) lxsession
   15) lxshortcut  16) lxtask  17) lxterminal  18) menu-cache  19) openbox
   20) pcmanfm

Enter a selection (default=all):

... and is the default LXDE windows manager - although you can use any other if you so like wink

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LXDE
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox

You may be able to do what you want with a keybinding in:

~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml

or a custom .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart

Last edited by satanselbow (2013-04-29 14:03:40)

#5 2013-04-29 14:44:03

madr

I made the default download of pacman -S lxde, so if Openbox is included here, everything should be in order. With this in mind I will try the suggestions given in this thread. I will report back when I've tried it out. Thanks to f1tzl4nd and satanselbow for the help so far!

#6 2013-04-29 15:38:41

madr

The main problem here is that I've been editing the wrong file. As both of you pointed out it's the /lxde-rc.xml, and I've been editing the /rc.xml.

I put in the code:

<application name="lxterminal" class="Lxterminal">
   <decor>no</decor>
   <position force="yes">
     <x>10</x>
     <y>0</y>
   </position>
   <desktop>1</desktop>
   <layer>below</layer>
   <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
   <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
   <maximized>vertical</maximized>
</application>

Now everything works, except the transparency. The backround is still black, so I have to change it in the GUI at every reboot (which is quite often since I'm on a laptop). Any suggestions on this?

#7 2013-04-29 18:33:32

satanselbow

You should be able to control the transparency with transset-df

see:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xcompmgr

^ EDIT:: may not be quite what you are after as it affects (applies transparency to) the entire window rather than background / foreground as separate components sad

^^ EDIT 2 You might want to check this out

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Terminal_as_a_Transparent_Wallpaper

Gotta love the archwiki wink

Last edited by satanselbow (2013-04-29 18:53:32)

#8 2013-04-29 19:07:23

madr

The Wiki's good, but this article implies the use of the Tilda terminal, and not the LXTerminal. But it's a good plan b if we can't get i to work.

Regarding the code example they use:

<application name="tilda">
<layer>below</layer>
</application>

As you can se from my initial code this is already implemented with no success.

Last edited by madr (2013-04-29 19:07:49)

#9 2013-04-29 19:13:31

satanselbow

madr wrote:

The Wiki's good, but this article implies the use of the Tilda terminal, and not the LXTerminal. But it's a good plan b if we can't get i to work.

As far as i'm aware you can't feed lxterminal a config file so an alternative might the way to go - mix and match until it suits your workflow wink

#10 2013-04-29 20:38:18

madr

I'll mark this thread as solved, since all the major issues were solved when I found the correct file. A big thank you to f1tzl4nd and satanselbow! I'll just make my terminal transparent at startup manually, and maybe I'll start experimenting with Tilda after a while.

Board footer