You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-29 22:31:21

mattbarszcz

rEFInd Manual Stanzas

I'm trying to create a manual entry for Arch in rEFInd, and I just can't get it to boot properly.

When rEFInd auto detects the kernel, it boots fine, but it won't boot with my manual entry.

Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Here is my refind.conf:

timeout 5
showtools shell, about, reboot, exit
scanfor internal,external, manual

#menuentry "Arch-ck" {
#        volume Arch
#        loader vmlinuz-linux-ck
#        initrd initramfs-linux-ck.img
#        options "root=PARTUUID=09ddc567-20ad-4391-81db-e9965795b0d2 rootfstype=ext4 ro elevator=bfq add_efi_memmap systemd.unit=graphical.target"
#}

menuentry "Arch" {
        ostype Linux
        volume Arch
        loader vmlinuz-linux
        initrd initramfs-linux.img
        options "root=PARTUUID=09ddc567-20ad-4391-81db-e9965795b0d2 rootfstype=ext4 ro add_efi_memmap systemd.unit=graphical.target"
}

When i try to boot from this, I get the error: "Error: Not Found while loading vmlinuz-linux."

My partitions are GPT and labeled as such:

Part #       GPT Label                                   Description
/dev/sda1    <blank>                                    (EFI Partition)
/dev/sda2    Microsoft Reserved Partition
/dev/sda3    System                                     (Windows 7)
/dev/sda4    Arch                                       (Arch root where the vmlinuz-linux is)
/dev/sda5    Swap

For comparison, here is my refind_linux.conf for the auto detection:

"Boot to X"             "root=PARTUUID=09ddc567-20ad-4391-81db-e9965795b0d2 ro rootfstype=ext4 add_efi_memmap systemd.unit=graphical.target"
"Boot to console"       "root=PARTUUID=09ddc567-20ad-4391-81db-e9965795b0d2 ro rootfstype=ext4 add_efi_memmap systemd.unit=multi-user.target"

The only thing uncommented in /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf is

timeout 5
scan_all_linux_kernels

Thank you for your help,

Matt

Last edited by mattbarszcz (2013-04-29 23:19:49)

#2 2013-04-30 00:05:35

cfr

Re: rEFInd Manual Stanzas

Probably the volume label is wrong. You want the label from /dev/disk/by-label and not /dev/disk/by-partlabel. At least, that's what I was using when EFI STUB worked for me this way.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2013-04-30 00:29:26

mattbarszcz

cfr wrote:

Probably the volume label is wrong. You want the label from /dev/disk/by-label and not /dev/disk/by-partlabel. At least, that's what I was using when EFI STUB worked for me this way.

For which section?  The volume= or root= ?

Volume matches what I have in /dev/disk/by-label, and root= is the PARTUUID (although it doesn't work any better with /dev/sda4).

#4 2013-04-30 00:50:45

WonderWoofy

Don't use the volume parameter, and then change root=/dev/sda4.  If you have more than one disk, this might not be the best idea.  But in that case I would recommend you use filesystem labels not part labels.

#5 2013-04-30 00:58:44

mattbarszcz

WonderWoofy wrote:

Don't use the volume parameter, and then change root=/dev/sda4.  If you have more than one disk, this might not be the best idea.  But in that case I would recommend you use filesystem labels not part labels.

No luck,  here is what I used:

timeout 5
scanfor internal,external, manual

#menuentry "Arch-ck" {
#        volume Arch
#        loader vmlinuz-linux-ck
#        initrd initramfs-linux-ck.img
#        options "root=PARTUUID=09ddc567-20ad-4391-81db-e9965795b0d2 rootfstype=ext4 ro elevator=bfq add_efi_memmap systemd.unit=graphical.target"
#}

menuentry "Arch" {  
        ostype Linux
        loader vmlinuz-linux
        initrd initramfs-linux.img
        options "root/dev/sda4 rootfstype=ext4 ro add_efi_memmap systemd.unit=graphical.target"
}

and I still got the same error:
IMG_0392_1.jpg

#6 2013-04-30 02:12:40

WonderWoofy

Souldn't the "loader" and "initrd" sections be actual paths to the files.  For example, I keep all my arch stuff on /boot/EFI/arch (where the ESP is mounted directly the /boot).  So I would have:

menuentry "Arch Linux (CK Kernel)" {
	icon EFI/refind/icons/os_linux.icns
	loader \EFI\arch\vmlinuz-linux-ck.efi
	initrd \EFI\arch\initramfs-linux-ck.img
	options "root=/dev/mapper/volgrp0-root_arch add_efi_memmap quiet libahci.ignore_sss=1 acpi_osi=""!Windows 2012"" "
}

Also tere is no need for ostype now that I compare mine to yours.

Edit: also BTW, you can ignore the acpi_osi=""!Windows 2012"" as that is to fix a bug with Intel GPUs.

Edit2: I just tested the above, as I hadn't used it in a while because I am a gummiboot user.  I had to change the root since I changed some things on my system, but it works just fine.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-04-30 02:41:07)

#7 2013-04-30 02:41:33

srs5694
Website

I see two possible problems with your entry:

• As WonderWoofy says, rEFInd uses filesystem labels, not partition labels. You can certainly give a label to your Arch filesystem and use it with the "volume" token in refind.conf, and if you're not mounting the ESP at /boot, that's what I'd do. Alternatively, you could use "fs#:" notation (probably "fs1:" for your Arch partition, but I can't be sure of that). The trouble with numbering is that it can change in unpredictable ways. Booting with a USB flash drive attached might throw it off, for instance. If your Arch filesystem doesn't currently have a label, you can give it one with a filesystem-specific tool, such as "tune2fs". IIRC, you can usually do this with the filesystem mounted, although GParted is stricter and requires that filesystems be unmounted before changing their labels.

• You must specify the complete path to your kernel file (and the initrd file). If rEFInd is reading them off of the Arch root (/) partition, you'd need to add "/boot" to the path, as in "loader /boot/vmlinuz-linux" and "initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img"

My suspicion is that you've currently got an EFI filesystem driver installed for whatever filesystem you're using on the Arch root (/) partition and that rEFInd is auto-detecting your Arch kernel on that partition, hence the working auto-detection. If so, making the above two changes should get your manual boot stanza working. OTOH, if you've mounted the ESP at /boot, what you had in post #5 should have worked. The fact that it didn't makes me think that you don't have the ESP mounted at /boot, but I may have overlooked something.

Loading the kernel from the ESP's EFI/arch directory, as WonderWoofy suggests in post #6, will do the trick, but it also creates more work, since you'll need to copy the kernel every time it's updated -- either copy it manually or do it via a script that runs as part of the kernel update process. Either way, it's not as elegant as either reading the kernel directly from the root (/) partition with the help of an EFI filesystem driver or mounting the ESP at /boot and then reading the kernel from the ESP's root directory.

#8 2013-04-30 02:44:45

WonderWoofy

^^^Listen this this guy.  (Its his program)

#9 2013-04-30 03:34:38

mattbarszcz

srs5694 wrote:

I see two possible problems with your entry:

• As WonderWoofy says, rEFInd uses filesystem labels, not partition labels. You can certainly give a label to your Arch filesystem and use it with the "volume" token in refind.conf, and if you're not mounting the ESP at /boot, that's what I'd do. Alternatively, you could use "fs#:" notation (probably "fs1:" for your Arch partition, but I can't be sure of that). The trouble with numbering is that it can change in unpredictable ways. Booting with a USB flash drive attached might throw it off, for instance. If your Arch filesystem doesn't currently have a label, you can give it one with a filesystem-specific tool, such as "tune2fs". IIRC, you can usually do this with the filesystem mounted, although GParted is stricter and requires that filesystems be unmounted before changing their labels.

• You must specify the complete path to your kernel file (and the initrd file). If rEFInd is reading them off of the Arch root (/) partition, you'd need to add "/boot" to the path, as in "loader /boot/vmlinuz-linux" and "initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img"

My suspicion is that you've currently got an EFI filesystem driver installed for whatever filesystem you're using on the Arch root (/) partition and that rEFInd is auto-detecting your Arch kernel on that partition, hence the working auto-detection. If so, making the above two changes should get your manual boot stanza working. OTOH, if you've mounted the ESP at /boot, what you had in post #5 should have worked. The fact that it didn't makes me think that you don't have the ESP mounted at /boot, but I may have overlooked something.

Loading the kernel from the ESP's EFI/arch directory, as WonderWoofy suggests in post #6, will do the trick, but it also creates more work, since you'll need to copy the kernel every time it's updated -- either copy it manually or do it via a script that runs as part of the kernel update process. Either way, it's not as elegant as either reading the kernel directly from the root (/) partition with the help of an EFI filesystem driver or mounting the ESP at /boot and then reading the kernel from the ESP's root directory.

That worked perfectly.  Thank you so much for your everyone.

I had my ESP parition mounted at /boot/efi, so as you suggested, I put /boot/ in front of the loader and initrd and it worked smile

For the record, here's what I ended up with.

timeout 5
scanfor external, manual

menuentry "Windows 7" {
        loader \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
}

menuentry "Arch-ck" {
        volume Arch
        loader /boot/vmlinuz-linux-ck
        initrd /boot/initramfs-linux-ck.img
        options "root=PARTUUID=09ddc567-20ad-4391-81db-e9965795b0d2 rootfstype=ext4 ro elevator=bfq add_efi_memmap"
        submenuentry "Terminal Mode" { 
                add_options "systemd.unit=multi-user.target"
        }
}

menuentry "Arch" {  
        volume Arch 
        loader /boot/vmlinuz-linux
        initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img
        options "root=PARTUUID=09ddc567-20ad-4391-81db-e9965795b0d2 rootfstype=ext4 ro add_efi_memmap"
        submenuentry "Terminal Mode" {  
                add_options "systemd.unit=multi-user.target"
        }
}

Board footer