You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-30 00:46:45

despotic

[SOLVED] HDMI audio not working on new TV

I got a new TV and I get no sound through HDMI from my arch htpc.

However, I don't think the problem is the TV because:
1) Audio from other hdmi sources works
2) When i connect the htpc to a monitor through hdmi and restart, the audio works. While still on, if I disconnect the monitor and reconnect the TV, the audio works through hdmi

It seems that the problem stems from auto-detection of the hdmi. I have also noticed that if i start the htpc unconnected to a display and then try to connect it after it has booted up, i get no video as well. Shouldnt hdmi cables be hot pluggable.

Any way to write out the auto detected configuration for audio and disable detection? Something like this should solve my problem

Edit: solution in post #5 bellow

Last edited by despotic (2013-05-03 04:12:47)

#2 2013-04-30 01:14:46

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] HDMI audio not working on new TV

I've not a lot of experience here, but...
Try turning on the TV.  Select the input you are going to use, connect the TV to the computer.  Power up and boot Arch.  Does Arch see the TV?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-04-30 01:22:01

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

If the source is on, you likely have to config linux to output over hdmi.  See the wiki or search in google for tip on doing this.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2013-04-30 01:32:46

despotic

Arch sees the tv and video works. The problems is only with the audio and only if arch is started  with the TV attached. If arch is started with another hdmi source attached and them it is replaced with the TV after arch has booted, audio works with the TV. The audio problem is only during start (boot or even wake ip from sleep) with TV conneted. I think it may bave to do with udev not recognizing thr tv as hdmi audio capable.

#5 2013-05-03 04:10:50

despotic

Solved by adding monitor's EDID in xorg.conf. The steps to fix with an nvidia card are:

1) Connect device with which audio works (in my case the monitor)
2) run nvidia-settings and get edid file for the monitor
3) edit xorg.conf and add the following under the device section:

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/monitor.edid"

4) reboot or restart X

Sound works now through hdmi connected to TV smile

Board footer