You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-30 15:14:12

ralvez
Website

video only at 800x600 [ NO SOLUTION ** had to re-install ** ]

I usually put my machine to sleep at the end of the day, so I cannot tell if the problem is the result of an upgrade, but here is what happened.

Yesterday I rebooted my machine and when it finished booting it was running 800x600. I figured it was some minor anomaly of the video driver or something and I rebooted again, only the problem did not go away.

At first I was under the impression that my monitor was gone ... but then I plugged something else to it and it worked fine... so the monitor was not the reason.

Then I figured the video card an Nvidia GE8400, that is realatively new, was gone. I do not have another card to test at the moment but during some of my testing I put the Arch Install DVD and ... it began to run 1440x900 again!!

So ... it is not the video card and not the monitor. I has to be software.

I checked for errors in Xorg.0.log but I do not see any relevant errors. Then I checked in the forums, my be some one elese had a similar error due to an upgrade ... no joy.

Then I tried to see if it was related to the framebuffer, since it runs fine on the install DVD and played with settings in grub2 for awhile but no solution.

Then I tried to attack the problem from the Xorg side and set an 10.monitor.conf as suggested in the Arch install wiki ... no joy either.

I've spent about 10 hours on this and I'm running out of ideas, so I decided to post here
perhaps with an entire comunity of ideas I'll avert re-installing ;-)

Thanks.

R.

Last edited by ralvez (2013-05-11 20:13:09)

#2 2013-04-30 15:26:55

chris_l

Re: video only at 800x600 [ NO SOLUTION ** had to re-install ** ]

In the ideas you tried, you don't mention anything about the drivers.
Did you tried to updatate your driver? Are you using a personalized kernel? If you are, you need to recompile your drivers.
Are you using nouveau?

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#3 2013-04-30 15:45:58

ralvez
Website

@chris_l,

Thanks for the reply.
I did try to upgrade the driver (which was at the latest version) and re-installed it.
Then I tried downgrading it too, along with the kernel ... but to no avail.
I'm using the nvidia drivers, nouveau has never done a good job for me smile

R.

#4 2013-05-01 10:15:55

cedeel
Website

Just to clarify, you're running at 800x600 in framebuffer or X?

Board footer