You are not logged in.

#3151 2013-04-29 17:52:33

natsukurenai

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hey everyone. My name's Nate. I'm pretty new to Arch (just started yesterday, in fact), and at the very least feel like a linux noob in general, though I've been using it on and off for about 6 years.

I'm not very knowledgable yet, as I haven't really been messing with the command line and learning the inner workings of linux for very long, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to contribute here at first, but I hope to learn as I go and eventually be able to contribute.

I decided to go with Arch to help me become more comfortable with the command line. The wiki is amazingly helpful, and has made what seemed like a daunting task of installing via the command line really esay, and working with the command line so intimately has really helped me to understand it and become more comfortable with it already.

So yeah. Hi!

#3152 2013-04-29 21:24:49

bpier

Hello. I'm Pierre and I live in Montpellier, France. I'm rarried, have three chlidren, I'm journalist and I a linux user since ten years. My PC have a multiboot : Debian AVLinux / Gentoo and now Archlinux. I've a blog about DIY Guitar & effects & CAM under Linux : http://www.bruynooghe.fr.

#3153 2013-04-30 19:25:11

MaxWebXperienZ

Total newb.. 3 weeks into Ubuntu and various desktops. Right now command line stuff looks about as fun as morse code... I did unix command line stuff decades ago, it's coming back.

#3154 2013-04-30 20:54:23

ewaller
Administrator

MaxWebXperienZ wrote:

Total newb.. 3 weeks into Ubuntu and various desktops. Right now command line stuff looks about as fun as morse code... I did unix command line stuff decades ago, it's coming back.

ewaller$@$odin ~ 1017 %pacman -Qo morse
/usr/bin/morse is owned by bsd-games 2.17-13
ewaller$@$odin ~ 1018 %morse 'Welcome to Arch'
 dit daw daw
 dit
 dit daw dit dit
 daw dit daw dit
 daw daw daw
 daw daw
 dit

daw
 daw daw daw

dit daw
 dit daw dit
 daw dit daw dit
 dit dit dit dit

dit dit dit daw dit daw
ewaller$@$odin ~ 1019 %

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3155 2013-05-01 13:00:45

hax

Hello world smile

#3156 2013-05-01 20:25:32

jqvillanova

Hello everyone, i've traveled around  the GNU/Linux world looking for the distribution whic could fill my needs, and then i read carefully the begineer's guide and i decided to replace my laptop's ubunt 13.04 beta , never come back.

Loving systemd, my life is easy now.
Loving AUR.
Loving Arch

Last thing is that i want to remark that in my opinion Arch and GNU/Linux is a software masterpiece.

#3157 2013-05-02 20:04:50

crazzuz

Hello!
My name is gustaf and im hoping to soon be using archlinux.
It's going slow im soon to try my forth install this week. smile
But its fun and im learning alot.
I had ubuntu a couple of times but have not used the terminal much.
Its a very good forum i will mostly just read not post.

Edit: archlinux with fluxbox up and running! love it so far.

Last edited by crazzuz (2013-05-08 15:51:32)

#3158 2013-05-03 17:55:33

MyuFox

Hi everyone,
Been playing with linux off and on. Mostly Ubuntu and then Mint. Now I'm on arch cause of the reputation it has for force the user to have a good understanding of linux, and that is something I am working towards.

#3159 2013-05-04 10:32:46

sharX

Hi there!
ArchLinux 4 the win! big_smile
Just a great distro!

#3160 2013-05-05 21:59:44

kevarchy
Website

It's so fast.

I saw a forum post about the amount of memory commonly used by Arch ( < 500MB) and while waiting on my browser to fade-in after the system was done reading it's 1.5GB page file I had an epiphony! It was time to grow-up and move on.

Fourty-eight hours later, Arch and LXDE are running on my netbook and laptop. I am home.

Thank you all for the detailed documentation and intelligent community!

Doc-tor? Ex-tem-in-ate. Exterminate!

#3161 2013-05-06 10:12:06

tsukeyomi

Hello, I'm new here. Just installed this beauty and I have to say I like it! Not so easy to configure but really fast, lightweight and minimal.

I'm installing and configuring new packages right now, so still setting the whole thing up. I'll probably need help sooner or later so I'm thinking to stay stay around, maybe help someone too if I help. I see that the wiki is very well written and maintained too, so that's a big plus.

Glad I joined this distribution and community! Let's see how things unfold. Cheers!

#3162 2013-05-07 11:02:31

SquidGuy

Well, I've been an Arch Linux user for about the last year on 2 different systems.  I expected a huge amount of trouble from the horror stories that I'd read and heard about Arch...but so far, reading the front page before upgrading, having some basic sense about what an "unofficial package" means, reading the errors that I get and doing a little studying on it, etc. have all proven to be more than enough to carry me through any choppy waters.

So far, I not only haven't gotten frustrated, but I totally love everything about Arch.  When I get new packages from pacman -Syu, I look up what they are, and by proxy: actually learn stuff about what my OS is doing and using.  The wiki has taught me more than I'd like to admit I didn't know.  I've learned a lot by lurking in the forums and on IRC.

For the most part, I'm still a pretty significant noob.  On the other hand, I realize that I've learned a lot just by taking the time to really want to figure out how all of it works together.  Thanks for a beatifully minimal distro that doesn't try to obscure the reality of what's going on behind the scenes.  For that, I'm truly thankful.

#3163 2013-05-08 09:45:35

Andorinita

Hello everyone, I'm Marion and I live in Lausanne. I have been using Linux for 2 years now, and I am on a Linux-only machine since september.
I love it but I feel like I don't understand it deeply. So maybe I'm still a noob :-)

#3164 2013-05-08 11:20:41

kabads
Website

Hi. I'm Adam and I've been using linux since 1998. I don't usually post to these things, but I'm so impressed by Arch, that I thought I had to express it. My first install was Mandrake back in 1998 with some CDs that arrived through the post. Setting up everything was pretty technical each time and time consuming. Changing monitor resolution as hardware changed involved editing text files. Then, back in 2005 (or around then), I went over to Ubuntu (via debian). Since then, I've been weened off all the control of my system.

I decided to switch to arch because ubuntu had implemented so many things that I didn't want and had to hack around to get back and I wanted to be part of the old community that I used to belong to way back. Heck, I even used to go to lug meetings. It seems to me that arch fits this bill.

While I'm not hacking around on the computer, I'm teaching children for a living and raising my own two boys - we play minecraft together and go geocaching once in a while. I also write to a blog once in a while. You can find me on google plus and twitter with the same username.

#3165 2013-05-08 15:24:14

tiberiousr
Website

Hi, I'm Nick, started running Linux back in the days of Red Hat 5.2 (pre-Fedora, we're talking mid/late '90s), messed around with Gentoo a few years back and ended up flitting between Debian and Xubuntu for convenience. I finally got sick of Ubuntu's dependency bloat junking up the OS and the fact that their 'stable' releases are very twitchy when you try to customise anything or kill excess crap so I decided to give Arch a try a few of weeks ago.

I've never looked back smile

#3166 2013-05-09 11:17:57

mid-kid

Hello!

I've been using ubuntu for over 5 years (my dad installed it like 8 years ago on my old pc, but I didn't use it back then), but I'm getting sick of it, because it's getting really buggy and simple things are so difficult to do because everything's automated.
I thought that it was time to move on.
I tried linux mint, it was even worse. Though I really like cinnamon.
fedora, didn't work properly because of driver issues and I hate gnome3.
opensuse, was a great experience, but it lacks packages and everything is managed with yast.
and now i'm here. Sucessfully installed arch on a vbox, now trying to drop it on my laptop.

Let's see how it goes.

Last edited by mid-kid (2013-05-09 11:19:48)

If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough.

#3167 2013-05-09 16:11:34

quiqueck

Hi,

i come from Kubuntu and uses it since Gutsy Gibbon. So allready 5 years of using kde. The Reason why i'm searching for an alternative distribution to Kubuntu is, i am not amused with the things Canonical  does.

I've testet some Distributions like Sabayon and chakra,  but arch seems to be the best.

On the german site http://ubuntuusers.de i was an active Member on Wiki and Forum and wrote some wiki articles. Maybe i could do so on archlinux.org... but if, only in german language wink

#3168 2013-05-10 21:56:33

matt64
Website

Having a ton of fun with this distro so far and learning every step of the way.

Figured I'd jump on here/ IRC to really immerse myself.

#3169 2013-05-11 20:20:52

jasuramme

Hi there!
I changed to archlinux when I changed laptop to another one. Installed - Xubuntu -> Linux mint -> Fedora -> Arch linux.
Actually I'm already two years working on Arch. It's really enjoyable. Thanks for great distro, and work and wiki and forum. It helped me a lot.

Alex.
North sea grafter

#3170 2013-05-14 00:10:17

idrum4316

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Arch, and I guess I'm fairly new to Linux as well. I started using Ubuntu about 3 years ago and then distro hopped for a bit. I used openSuse for a few months, Fedora for a while, and then I flipped through a bunch of different distros like Mint, Elementary, Mandriva, and Kubuntu. I bought a new laptop about 6 months ago and I stuck Ubuntu on it, but I had issues with the graphics card(AMD 7670M). I figured I might as well be using Arch with all the problems it was giving me, so I installed Archbang because I didn't want to jump stright in. I used Archbang for a few weeks and got used to Pacman, and I liked it, but I wanted a better understanding of how the configuration worked, so I got rid of Archbang and installed Arch a few days ago.

Anyways, if you care to know a little about me, I'm in college right now studying computer science, math, religion, and philosophy. I worked primarily as a Java developer/web designer for a software company for a while, and now I have a different job where I mostly work on databases. It's less exciting, but whatever. I'm still in school. I hope to get into a career involving Linux eventually.

I look forward to gaining a more in-depth understanding of Arch, and contributing to the community in whatever way I can!

#3171 2013-05-15 13:34:26

mattmusc

Hi all!

I'm fairly new to the linux world, only one year, one year and a half studying it. I have installed Arch Linux on my Desktop at home and on VirtualBox on my Macbook.

At the moment I'm studying Informatics, bachelor, Second Year.

I fell in love with Emacs and LaTeX one year ago and I never stopped learning.

I really like how Arch is mantained, the wiki, which is so much helpful.

Thanks for such a beautiful distribution.

Matthew

Make everything as simple as possible but not simpler--A. Einstein

#3172 2013-05-17 17:08:11

Pipix

Hello! An Arch newbie here, though i used Ubuntu and Centos for some time. I hope this'll be a distro where I'll stick for some time!

#3173 2013-05-19 15:41:30

taylord1984

Hello peps. New to arch come on a patch of unbunta > mint > arch

#3174 2013-05-21 18:33:06

LPS-Leipzig

hello everyone,

i have switched from Lubuntu to Arch linux (with OB+lxde), so far i am quite happy with that.
Hopefully it is not to difficult to get informations here about the configuration of the system.
Lets see what future brings...

#3175 2013-05-22 00:56:44

isimmons

Hello all :-)

I'm a complete newb to Arch but have had some experience with Debian and Ubuntu oh, and Cent-OS. I decided it is time to learn how to build my own system instead of complaining about other distros not being the light weight but still usable system I want.

Funny I'm on windows and had to boot up a vm to get registered here. No complaints. I think it's cool to make sure users at least know how to get past registration.

Anyway, looking forward to learning with Arch, eventually building the worlds most awesome OS distro,  and talking to the big community here.

Board footer